Top Case to Hold a Laptop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_Flyer

Reaction score
Picking up my 2015 FJR 1300ES tomorrow so thinking what additions I will need. High on the list is a top case that will hold a laptop (15" x 10.5" x 1.5"). I have a 49 l BMW case (double wall) on my K1200GT which is more than large enough but I'm afraid something that big will look huge on the FJR. None of the cases I've looked at on the web give enough information to determine if the laptop will fit. Hopefully one of you can help me. Would be great if a full-size helmet would fit (without the laptop). Only need room for one as Theresa has her own bike.

Are the side cases that come with the bike waterproof? What about the Givi and Shad top cases?

Reading the posts about mounting the top case has given me some concerns as to reliability. I regularly put a case (24) of Sierra Nevada in the Beemer case with no problems.

Side cases are water tight.

I have a 46 liter Shad and a helmet will fit. I'm confident that a lap top as you describe will also fit. You can add a Stiffy Kit to prohibit damage from the loaded top case, or use a Givi mount that evidently offers similar protection. I think all top cases look like crap, but the Shad is no worse than most. The Yamaha top case is over priced in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the Givi V46and it is plenty big without looking huge. Definitely do not skimp and get the Givi frame that goes with it.

Brake light kit is a good idea as well.

Givi E55, 55 liter, Who cares what it looks like, it's behind you anyway? I've never though, boy I wish i had less storage space on my motorcycle. Just pop the case off when you don't need it.

Couple of things.

1. Look at the shape of the box. Don't just go by length and width. Those rounded corners will screw you if you go purely by dimensions.

2. Depends on the size of your laptop.

3. Plan on a case of some sort. It will bounce back there. My backpack laptop bag has been riding a lot of miles in my top case and all laptops have been fine. I'm pretty certain that a laptop by itself wouldn't have survived. Now plan the size of your box allowing for the size of the bag.

4. Just get the big top box. You won't care what it looks like once you are on the bike riding. You'll never complain that you have too much storage space. You'll love it and will keep it on the bike all the time.

If you don't want a big top box, and don't want a laptop bag, consider a padded pelican case. Waterproof and will snuggle up your laptop nicely. You might have to fashion your own mounting system for it though. Not sure, a lot of the ADV guys use them but I have never seen a setup built for taking on a bike...but they might exist.

The Givi V46 and V47 are about perfect for a laptop. Yes, you do need the Givi SR357 mount. A full face helmet will easily fit into either one.

Looks are not important to everyone but it is important to me. I like the V46 on the Gen2 and the V47 on the Gen3. YMMV

Any top case big enough for your laptop to lay flat will work. Use a laptop case or backpack with some padding to protect the laptop and make sure the top case is big enough for the laptop inside the backpack or case. I used a Givi V46 to commute for years with my laptop in a backpack and never had a problem.

Looks are not important to everyone but it is important to me. I like the V46 on the Gen2 and the V47 on the Gen3. YMMV
Once you put a top case on the bike, it's ugly. Might as well go big or go home.

Redfish, I've set you up there for your usual comments.
wink.png

Once you put a top case on the bike, it's ugly. Might as well go big or go home.

Redfish, I've set you up there for your usual comments.
wink.png
YOUR bike may be ugly, mine is not. I carefully selected the top box for both my '15 and Dad's '07 to complement the lines of the fairings. I would post pics but photobucket is not working for me at the moment.

Pop resisted the idea of a top box for years because he hated the look of a top box on an Sport Tourer. He felt it made it look like a WannaBeGoldWing. Once he put the V46 on his FJR, he never took it back off. I have mentioned to him several times that it comes on and off easily but he is addicted to it.

As for "Go big or go home", the hairy backed she walrus that is at home is the very definition of "Big". If I want to Go Big, I just go home. I go elsewhere for normal.

I have a twisted throttle pelican case attachment. There is a plate that mounts on the rear three bolts. Then there is a frame that attaches to the pelican case. I am not home at the moment (wont be home til Friday) but I believe I have a 1550 pelican case on there. Not deep enough for a helmet but nice a square for a laptop. The pelican is crazy sturdy I traveled with one for years with delicate and expensive fiber optic test gear. Now that I am just a sales guy I use it to carry money :)

The base plate allows the pelican case to slide on and off even with a lock cylinder. I did just add a stiffy kit given that the mounting plate is steel and the pelican case is heavy whe it's empty. All of that with the side cases and a smuggler trunk I have plenty of storage. Now if I could find time to ride.

Always said I'd never run a top case and now the V46 never comes off. Plenty of capacity and convenient storage makes it a very useful addition! And yes, I've commuted with my work laptop w/o any problems.

--G

I carry my laptop in the Givi 52 all the time, and my laptop case is HUGE!!!! The case I carry it in for work is i think too big for airline carry-on, but it fits in the tops case easily. if I didn't have the givi steel rack, i wouldn't even try, because the damn thing's HEAVY, too. Laptop, power brick, mouse, some small tools, about 12 different serial, network, and video cables, notepads, and a 5-port switch. Fits the topcase easily with room to spare.

Photobucket coming back online, prepare for pics!

Top case more ready for the 72oz steak challenge than I was.

20150922_113249_zpscxad0li5.jpg

Latest posts