vfr 1200 compared to FJR 1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan kim

Reaction score
I'm in the market for another motorcycle and was thinking of adding another bike. Currently own 2010 VFR 1200 dual-clutch for the past 6 years with 115,000 miles. I was wondering if FJR 1300 (2016) is different enough from the VFR to own both or are they too similar in their mission. Most of my riding is 6 to 12 hours of riding on the weekends. I live in Seoul, Korea and use a 300CC scooter for commuting in the city.

thanks for any input members can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking they are too similar. Pick one or the other. Of course if you have plenty of money, then the more bikes you have the happier you will be.

A good friend of mine sold his 2010 VFR and purchased a 2014 FJR and said the FJR was a far superior bike. Better features on the FJR (especially the 2016). The VFR has a LCD gear indicator, fuel gauge, clock etc, but the VFR does not have an ambient air temperature gauge, range & mpg indicator, traction control, electric adjustable wind shield, nor the electronic suspension system, and the center stand is optional on the VFR!! Can't remember about heated grips and cruise control. Regardless the FJR wins big-time in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep the VFR...they're both different enough in their missions that you won't have a lot of overlap. That being said, once you pick up an FJR, it'll be your choice for those long weekend rides.

Good luck!

--G

The main reason I will keep the VFR is due to high mileage, here in Korea anything over 30,000 miles is considered high mileage. Currently with 115,000 miles, it's considered retired/scrap metal. it still runs good as new. Here we have two models of FJR A & AS (clutchless), no ES. Comes in 2 colors Matt Silver or Tech Graphite.

A model Price $20,000 U.S.

AS Model $26,000

Does not come with the side bags $1,500 extra.

If I do purchase the bike I will purchase it in early part of July, will be out of the country in the month of June.

Thanks you for everyone's input.

A good friend of mine sold his 2010 VFR and purchased a 2014 FJR and said the FJR was a far superior bike. Better features on the FJR (especially the 2016). The VFR has a LCD gear indicator, fuel gauge, clock etc, but the VFR does not have an ambient air temperature gauge, range & mpg indicator, traction control, electric adjustable wind shield, nor the electronic suspension system, and the center stand is optional on the VFR!! Can't remember about heated grips and cruise control. Regardless the FJR wins big-time in my book.
VFR 1200 has ambient temperature gauge, 2012 + has traction control and yes I added center stand as an option. Heated grip is $500 option (Korea) and no cruise control.

Buy a KTM, that will be much different than Honda or Yamaha
wink.png
Dealer support for KTM not that strong here. I tend to keep my vehicles for several years and parts n dealer service is important in purchase decision.

In Korea BMW, Harley Davidson and Honda has great service network. Yamaha is just satisfactory. Good thing about FJR is that, since it's been around for a long time parts availability and price is good online.

The main reason I will keep the VFR is due to high mileage, here in Korea anything over 30,000 miles is considered high mileage. Currently with 115,000 miles, it's considered retired/scrap metal. it still runs good as new. Here we have two models of FJR A & AS (clutchless), no ES. Comes in 2 colors Matt Silver or Tech Graphite.A model Price $20,000 U.S.

AS Model $26,000

Does not come with the side bags $1,500 extra.

If I do purchase the bike I will purchase it in early part of July, will be out of the country in the month of June.

Thanks you for everyone's input.
In Europe, the "clutchless" variant (known as the "AS") has the electrically adjustable suspension, so check whether the Korean one does if the "clutchless" is your preference.

I have a 2014 AS, Even for an almost exclusively solo rider, I find the suspension adjustments improve my experience.

The VFR feels much smaller and has a more aggressive lean. If you are used to that, the FJR may feel too large for you. Power wise the VFR 1200 puts down more power.

For most, the FJR is much more comfortable. But if you've put that kind of mileage on the VFR already, you should sit on a FJR and see if it fits. FJR extremely reliable and the cruise is excellent.

^^^^^^ +1 I had/liked them both. The VFR is a better hooligan bike compared to the FJR. The Honda is lighter with more power, but not as good/comfortable on long rides.

I picked up the 2016 few days ago and only had a chance to ride about 50KM. I have about 30 inch inseam, and this bike is not friendly to vertically challenged folks. I can easily flat foot the VFR but not on the FJR, I think it has to do with the wide seat. FJR is a load to push around the garage but very easy to put on center stand. I took it out to an open parking lot to see how it handles in slow maneuvering situations doing U-turns, figure eight and emergency braking. FJR handles slow riding much easier than the VFR due to more upright riding position and lower foot pegs. I would have no problem passing the MSF safety course on the FJR. The brakes are far superior on the VFR due to larger rotors, 6 pistons instead of 4 and lighter weight. The two bikes are different enough, where I would enjoy alternating between them. FJR is no city bike, due to it's weight and can't fold the darn mirrors all the way. On the VFR I'm able to completely fold the mirrors and squeeze between cars to move ahead of the congested traffic. One would have to work hard on the FJR to keep up with the VFR on some serious twisty roads. On the VFR you feel like you're on rails, it's that composed going around corners. Once out of city traffic the FJR is far superior ride for those 500 mile trips, due to it's comfort. I also noticed the FJR is louder in the exhaust and engine. Hopefully I can get over 200,000 like I have on the VFR, with no major problems.

VFR Pluses

Brakes, not even close

Single sided swing arm

Folding mirror

I can flat foot

FJR Pluses

Mush easier to maneuver in parking lot speeds

Windscreen by a country mile

Doesn't require premium fuel / bigger fuel tank

Seating & handlebar position for anything over 100 miles.

Easier to do routine maintenance such as air filter & spark plug removal

Better aftermarket parts availability due to much higher sales volume.

Things I changed

PIAA dual horn

Yamaha touring screen

Sargent & Corbin seats. The stock seat is too soft and that ain't good for long trips. Only tried the Sargent & stock seat so far.

Givi SR-357 rack with V56 top box on it's way.

I included some photos of the FJR along with the VFR.

https://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt213/sonics747/2016-07-15%2011.16.46_zpschkk9jkg.jpg?t=1468642960

......... I have about 30 inch inseam, and this bike is not friendly to vertically challenged folks. I can easily flat foot the VFR but not on the FJR, ....................

Make sure the seat is in the "low" position. It does make a difference.

Joey