Gen 1 (2004) Handlebar Vibrations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperPete

Opinionated curmudgeon
Reaction score
I've read a lot of threads about bar end weights and even Helibar triple-clamps and risers. I've read a few reviews about Vibranators. I've read about throttle body synchs. I may try to find gloves with gel palms, but I would rather address the problem itself. I already added grip buddies, those foam slide-over grips, but they didn't help at all. I'm hoping that you can chime in with your experiences before I pop $120 for the Vibranators.

I can only ride about 10 minutes before my hands start going numb. The Vibranators have a 30-day money back guarantee, so I don't mind trying them, but I wanted to see what others ended up doing to help eliminate the vibrations. Also, once I extract the bar inserts, can they be re-inserted if I don't find the Vibranators helpful, or is it a one-way trip? I'd do a tb synch, but it seems to run very smoothly already. (Of course, anything will seem smooth compared to my 1800 CC V-Twin!)

Looking for a magic bullet...

Firstly, you won't be able to eliminate the vibrations completely - you probably know this - but you can probably reduce them to a comfortable level. The following worked great for me, in this order:

1. Throttle body sync. Made an immediate improvement. The fact that you perceive the bike to run smoothly already is not a valid reason not to start here. It needs to be done, especially if it has been a long time since the last one, or if you don't know when the last time it was done.
  2. Heavy, one pound each bar end weights. Immediate improvement.
  3. Grip puppies. Much more comfortable than the steel-pipe hardened OEM rubber grips.
  4. Focusing on using a relaxed riding position, specifically, relaxing my hands. When I'm at cruising speed on an open road, I often will rest both of my lower wrists - the part where my wrist and palm meet - on the grips and drape my fingers over the brake and clutch levers. Riding along like that for a few minutes gives the fingers and hands a nice break.
I did the TBS, bar end weights, and Grip Puppies at the same time, so the improvement was probably more distinct for me due to the combination of these things working together.

Also, I'm not sure if any of the various risers let you, but if you can adjust the bars in (or out) in terms of the angle, that also may help any stress on the various nerves.

+1 what Tiger said.

I tried the Vibranators and didn't think that they did anything at all. Maybe on standard one piece bars?

I'm using Manic Salamander's but couldn't find a link. Try this - https://www.hvmp.com/Yamaha-s/4.htm

But I have swapped them back and forth with the stock bar ends and believe Tigers 4th and PJ's 5th point to be the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
My second '06' had noticeable more vibration than my first one. Someone at that time told me to loosen the motor mount bolts and redo them per the service manual spec's. That really help a lot.

Neither '06' was as smooth as my '10'.

Thank you for your replies!

I have done the following:

• Grip puppies. Much more comfortable than the steel-pipe hardened OEM rubber grips.
  • Focusing on using a relaxed riding position, specifically, relaxing my hands. When I'm at cruising speed on an open road, I often will rest both of my lower wrists - the part where my wrist and palm meet - on the grips and drape my fingers over the brake and clutch levers. Riding along like that for a few minutes gives the fingers and hands a nice break.
I've been wanting to purchase a Synch tool for my VMax anyway, this is more fuel for that fire. I missed a used Carbtune Pro by 10 minutes the other day. > :(

I'll see if I can adjust the bars, and I'll try the loosening and re-torquing of the motor mount bolts. I'm very hopeful that these will help.

I'm glad for the feedback on the Vibranators - that just seemed outrageous money for what they are. I'll try the HVMP bar-end weights instead.

I won't get to try the adjustments until next week, unfortunately, but I will come back and update this thread after doing so!

The bar end weights I went with were the HVMP's. They look great and quality is top-notch. They've got two different weight options IIRC, so be sure to get the heavy ones :)

OK, I just bit the bullet and ordered the Morgan Carbtune Pro and the extra heavy bar end weights.

About $106 at the current rate of exchange for the Carbtune Pro, shipped. After a couple or three of uses it will have paid for itself, IMO.

$82.50 for the bar end weights.

You guys spend my money as fast as my ex-wife did!
wink.png

Well, I wanted to keep the cost of this bike under $4000 total, but I think the bar-end weights finally took me over that amount. Still, several of the items are "farkles", so I guess they don't really count.

I hope to have very positive reviews by the weekend of May 7th, as well as pictures. Thank you for all of the suggestions. You guys rock!
punk.gif

Pete

Add weights to the underside of both handlebars. The underside or backside of each handlebar includes a large hollowed-out volume.

One could fill this volume with lead weight, etc. and I'd expect this would greatly attenuate the handlebar vibration.

Much of the vibration energy would likely be tamed by this extra mass.

The handlebars are not all that different from tuning forks. Vibration forces are applied at the base and the amplitude of the vibration increases the farther from the base.

One might also add a very thin sheet of hard rubber or other somewhat flexible material between the handlebars and the upper bracket. Pass the three handlebar mounting bolts through the flex material.

A tip when syncing the engine. Besides at idle, hold the throttle up to about 4K and adjust at that RPM.

You'll likely find them off a bit. After 4K, the sync doesn't make much if any difference.

The balance should also be within 10mm's. You can adjust and get both well within that spec.

I also have the Carbtune and with some effort, got all 4 TB's within 2-3mm's @ 4k and idle. The closer, the smoother. I'll put a heavy duty fan in front of the radiator, on high, as I want the engine as close to normal operating conditions as possible when adjusting.

Last tip. Before I had the Carbtune, I had to pay the shop for a sync when I was having some running issues (under warranty). They couldn't find the problem (it was a corroded electrical connector under the tank). Now, once I got the Carbtune, I did my FZ and double checked my 04 FJR.

They did NOT ADJUST THE AIR SCREWS, but one butterfly screw (a big no no per the manual), apparently as it was easier to get to. This was very apparent as Yamaha puts a dab of white paint on those screws. The paint was chipped and the butterfly was obviously adjusted approx 1/4 turn. I put it back to stock and re-synced with the air screws (as it should have been). This was a regular YAMAHA SHOP...

Thank you, to everyone who has replied. The extra-heavy bar end weights from HVMP have already arrived. I'll be installing them tonight.

I'll read all of the TB synch information before the gauge arrives.

Scott, your experience with the Yamaha shop highlights the main reason I do as much of my own work as possible. Nobody cares for my own bike as much as I do. I'm certain that I'll have it purring and farkled to death well before EOM 2016!

punk.gif

The bar insert that's threaded needs to go in further, or stretch the grip out to cover it.

I have an 04 as well and just recently (Saturday) had a TB sync done. It (less vibration) was the first thing that I noticed. I also have some heavy bar ends. There is a little space between my grip and the metal, but that is because mine come off to lock a helmet on the end. Not sure what brand they are, but they are awesome.

The sync also provided some more punch in addition to the elimination of buzz and a little stumble at times, but other changes done at the tech day could be more involved as well.

I am not sure what specific wizardry tool that YamaFitter used to sync mine with, but I am sure he could say exactly the 27 functions on that thing all mean.