Just picked up my '14 FJR A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason92s

Reaction score
About a week ago, I found a '14 FJR A with about 3200 miles for sale. It was about 200 miles away, so I scheduled a day off work and made some plans. After an hour long 4:30am bus trip to Amtrak and then a 3 hour long train ride, I finally arrived in San Jose and completed all the paperwork.

WOW is all I can say. My background is almost entirely in off-road riding, either motocross or dual sport. I've been on a street bike twice in my life for about 15 minutes total. I will admit to being a little nervous about the long ride home, but within about 5 miles it was like the bike was made for me. I'm sure none this will come as a surprise to any of you, but I just can't believe how smooth the bike is. That's what impressed me the most. Absolutely no learning curve, even for a newbie like me. Even the wife agreed I made the right choice after a short ride when I got home. And boy is this thing comfortable!

Here's a pic of my boy on it after I got home.

IMG_2267.jpg

I also began on dirt bikes and had hardly ridden a street bike at all when I bought a Bandit 1200. I personally think learning on the dirt is the way to go. You can crash and learn without tearing up yourself or totaling your ride. I think those skills have helped me not panic in quite a few moments when a wrong choice could have taken me down.

Nice bike, enjoy!

I also began on dirt bikes and had hardly ridden a street bike at all when I bought a Bandit 1200. I personally think learning on the dirt is the way to go. You can crash and learn without tearing up yourself or totaling your ride. I think those skills have helped me not panic in quite a few moments when a wrong choice could have taken me down.
Nice bike, enjoy!
That's a really good point. And believe me, I've had more than my fair share of dirt crashes
rolleyes.gif

Congrats on the new (to you) '14 Jason! Don't be a stranger, you've got a great group of Cali peeps all around you. Get to know them!

Enjoy the FJR...you won't be disappointed. ;-)

--G

Congratulations Jason! It really is great to stumble onto something so incredible and just be able to revel in it's complete awesomeness each and every ride! I'm on my 2nd FJR and this new Gen III simply amazes me every time I throw my leg over it.

And, yes, the RED was a wise choice!

20160416_123735a.jpg

I've heard of a "fly 'n ride," but this is the first "train ride 'n ride" I've come across. Based on the pic of your son right after you got it, looks like it came with the OEM trunk, but you added the bars later? Anyway, great bike. See you down the road someplace.

Don't ya just love the RED!! Best color by far!!
Ah man, you are so right!! Nothing against the '15 model color, but when I laid eyes on the red, I knew I would wait until I found that year for sale at a price I could afford.
Yep, that was the last check in the plus column for me. All the other features were there in 2013 (integrated cruise control, ABS, traction control, throttle-by-wire, etc.), all it needed to be was Candy Red. When the 2014 models were announced I was contacting all Yamaha dealers within a 120 mile radius (no Yamaha dealer in Ukiah). A couple of weeks later I was bringing mine home (November 15, 2013):

Dan

Latest posts