Garmin Basecamp Routing Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

formerly "herfjr"
Reaction score
I'm pretty good at mapping, but lately I've had an issue.

First I make sure that the profile in basecamp on my computer is the same as on my gps unit.

I make my route, transfer the route.....all is good and it seems perfect.

I start my ride....all is still good. We get to our first lunch stop and after lunch we continue on the same route (or so we think). There are no pop-ups that we are off route and I have disabled the recalculate mode.

As we are traveling along, I know that this is not the route that I created on my computer.

When I get home I check. Sure enough, my gps had sent us on another road. This really upsets me. I even looked at the gps route and it was the same as I had created.

WTH....What am I doing wrong?
help.gif

My theory when this happens to me is that the gps somehow recalculates it when it's imported. It seems to happen on more complex routes where there are lots of other options as to how to get where it you want to go. Why? I have no idea... and no idea how to "force" it to not do it.

One other reason may be map sets. Make sure the map set in the GPS is the same as the one you're using in Basecamp.

The fix I use is to add more shaping points along the route. Generally one or two extra along the road I want to be on in addition to the ones you generally put at turns. The shaping points don't alert so you should't get a bunch on alerts that your coming up to a point. I then go back and double click the route so it brings up the window that has all the points on it and make sure each one is set as a shaping point not a via point. Thus ensuring silence.

The older gps's will show all these shaping point as flags. If you are using a Zumo 550 or later this should work without that happening.

What gps are you using?

Somebody else may have a better explanation or fix...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the post, Marty....My maps are both 2016.10

My GPS unit is the 590LM

It's weird that when I plug my gps into the computer and click to see the route in the unit, it looks exactly the same as how it looks on the computer.

Yes, I hope someone has another explanation or remedy.

I'm pretty good at mapping, but lately I've had an issue.
First I make sure that the profile in basecamp on my computer is the same as on my gps unit.

I make my route, transfer the route.....all is good and it seems perfect.

I start my ride....all is still good. We get to our first lunch stop and after lunch we continue on the same route (or so we think). There are no pop-ups that we are off route and I have disabled the recalculate mode.

As we are traveling along, I know that this is not the route that I created on my computer.

When I get home I check. Sure enough, my gps had sent us on another road. This really upsets me. I even looked at the gps route and it was the same as I had created.

WTH....What am I doing wrong?
help.gif
There is no such thing as a route anymore. The "route in BaseCamp is actually just a series of points. BaseCamp draws a "route" based on your map, your map detail, your preferences, and your avoidances. You should recalculate your "route" in BaseCamp to see how it will be drawn in BaseCamp. When you transfer this "route" to your GPS, all that really transfers are the points. Again, the GPS draws a "route" based on your map, your map detail, your preferences, and your avoidances. Obviously, all of these variables should match in BaseCamp and the GPS for the "routes" to match. You should definitely recalculate on the GPS to see if the mileage matches with BaseCamp. All the details are in my BaseCamp Agenda which only takes a few hours to do. https://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp.htm

okay. I just set my gps and basecamp up the way your document indicates. Thanks.

Perhaps my problem was that I had certain avoidances checked off (like dirt roads, etc.) while I was creating the 'series of points'. It just made sense to me to check 'avoid' for those areas that I wanted to avoid. I had also made sure that my GPS unit had the same avoidances, speeds, etc.

It sounds like what you're saying is that if I want to avoid them, then in lieu of having them checked off as 'avoidances', I should simply create my route and then physically manipulate the route to avoid what I want to (thus creating more via points). This also makes sense although I end up with many more manipulations. No problem though because I don't see those huge flags that I used to see and I can tell those shaping points to be quiet and not alert me.

I will try this method again the next time I go for a ride.

Thanks!!!

Now....if I want to go ride on some dirt roads, then I can just keep the same settings and create my route the same way. That actually makes it easier so I don't have to toggle between profiles (ie: dirt road riding vs motorcycling).

Yes. Avoidances are evil and should be avoided at all costs, if you intend on following a route. Turn them off in Basecamp and on your GPS.

Avoidances all turned OFF

Recalculate OFF or Prompted (but always say NO!)

and if trying to follow a track / route that goes off road, set your mode to "Off Road" if that is an option (don't think it is for the new 590LM zumo).

It should be an interesting test of GPSes when we ride down to FODS on the TET. I'll be rockin' the old zumo 550 and trying to run the routes that Mr Bill contrives for us (with only minor massages).

I'll be rockin' the old zumo 550 and trying to run the routes that Mr Bill contrives for us (with only minor massages).
I thought Iris would be leading us to FODS in WV, but not if she can't read a stinkin map
grin.gif

The only problem with following a track on the 478 is there are no voice or sound prompts. I suppose I could just teach myself to stop and look at each intersection.

Ditto what HyperPete said. I use TyreToTravel with my TomTom and it is brain-dead easy and is usually spot on. I would expect it to work well with a Garmin but you'd have to be the judge of that. Give it a whirl and take it on the bike or your car for a short run to see if it works? Hell it's free!

I create my route in Google Maps (this is really the only hard part), then import it into Tyre (copy and paste the google map hyperlink), do some minor tweaking (if necessary) in Tyre (it does jump around a little sometimes), then press one button to copy to my TomTom as an itinerary, and **poof** you're off on your journey! Feel free to PM me if you have any technical questions about how to use Tyre.

Garmin is a love/hate relationship. I believe they have the best GPS and software, but I also believe the same is sadly lacking. Garmin computer software is worse than GPS firmware. Often one has to do the most insane things to properly maintain the GPS. Consider the nuvi 1490LMT if you will. One must periodically mount the device as external storage and manually delete cruft.

Apparently there are differences today in BaseCamp between Trip, Route, and Trip Planner.

Historically routes seem to be transferred to the GPS as linked waypoints. Once in the GPS a route is calculated. If algorithm in BaseCamp and GPS is same, if map is same, then the GPS will select the same route as expected. Big IF.

One way to deal with that is to use more waypoints in defining your route.

Another thing to be careful of is which map BaseCamp is using. Its easy to use a map cached on the computer which is not the same map as installed on the GPS. The default in Garmin Express is to only update the map and firmware on the GPS. Drill down through details before download and you will find an option to download to both GPS and computer.

BaseCamp user interface is funky as to which dataset one is operating upon. To directly edit the GPS one must make sure the GPS stays selected in the left column.

The other day I had two sets of "City Navigator North America NT 2017.1" maps on my MacBook Pro. One belonged to my nevi 2595, the other my Zumo 595LM. Something happened and the Zumo's map disappeared. Not happy because it has terrain details the nuvi does not support. Must re-download.

This is my first foray into creating routes, so I bet some of these questions are gonna be stupid, so go easy please.

I have a new to me ZUMO 550 on its way to me. I should get it Friday. I need to put a few routes on it by next week for SEOR

I created a route in TYRE. Saved it and now want to be able to "dump" it into my ZUMO. What does that entail.

I set the default to Garmin. I am assuming I just hook up the GPS to the computer and copy the waypoints over.

IS it really that simple?

TIA

Cav

This is my first foray into creating routes, so I bet some of these questions are gonna be stupid, so go easy please.
I have a new to me ZUMO 550 on its way to me. I should get it Friday. I need to put a few routes on it by next week for SEOR

I created a route in TYRE. Saved it and now want to be able to "dump" it into my ZUMO. What does that entail.

I set the default to Garmin. I am assuming I just hook up the GPS to the computer and copy the waypoints over.

TIA

Cav
Here is how I just created a route for this weekend for my TomTom (I assume Garmin is the same):

• Make your detailed Google Map
  • Double check and make sure it's accurate
  • Connect your Garmin or TomTom GPS to you computer with the correct USB cable
  • NOTE: The GPS device needs to be correctly attached to the PC as a device. If you've never connected your GPS to this PC before you may have to wait a few minutes to make sure it is correctly connected to your PC using the model specific hardware drivers (if not you should do this step well before opening Google Maps or Tyre). Skip this step if your PC already "knows" your GPS.
  • Open Tyre
  • Click > File > "Import from Website "
  • Then paste the Google Maps hyperlink into the "Import from Website" http: box at the top
  • Then click the "Import" button in the lower RHS
  • Now adjust your route within Tyre: zoom in to the beginning of the route and go through it in detail to make sure all roads are correct and adjust as necessary
  • Click on > File > Save > and give it an appropriate file name (you can open it in Tyre later if you want)
  • (On mine) Press > TomTom > Copy to TomTom
  • Give it an appropriate name so you'll recognize it in your "Itinerary" folder on your GPS when you are ready to start your trip.
Another note: I always make the starting point a mile or two from my home (NOT my home) so you have a point to navigate to when you turn it on in your driveway.

TIA

Cav
You may find happiness with Tyre, but if you want to use the software most of the rest of us have, and that is the basis for most routes distributed for gatherings, get-togethers, rallies and RTEs, then go to this page, and take a day of your time to learn BaseCamp.:

For PC: https://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf

For Mac: https://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_MAC.pdf

Ed Conde created these tutorials for us riders, and they are the best resource out there...just follow the lesson plan and don't take shortcuts like Tyre.

TomInPA,

I'll respectfully disagree. I'm sure I could pick Basecamp up if someone showed me a few basic points. I had printed off your referenced instructions and played around with it for a couple of weeks. Frustrated, my wife finally suggested I send the gps back. I finally followed a friends suggestion and downloaded free Tyre. I had routes created in 5 minutes. It was heavenly. Create the route, save in Garmin ".gpx" format, and it was all good. So easy.

I understand that if you are comfortable with Basecamp, then it will do much more than Tyre. But for my requirements the ease of Tyre was just too much to ignore, and it does what I need just fine.

TIA

Cav
You may find happiness with Tyre, but if you want to use the software most of the rest of us have, and that is the basis for most routes distributed for gatherings, get-togethers, rallies and RTEs, then go to this page, and take a day of your time to learn BaseCamp.:

For PC: https://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_PC.pdf

For Mac: https://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp_MAC.pdf

Ed Conde created these tutorials for us riders, and they are the best resource out there...just follow the lesson plan and don't take shortcuts like Tyre.
I must disagree with you too. Tyre is not a shortcut. It is a farkle! :D

Okay, I am downloading Basecamp. Since I do not know either one well (Basecamp or Tyre), learning one over the over really means nothing. Starting at ground zero on both software is the same.

Creating routes in Tyre is super easy.

Tyre is practically as easy as Google Maps. I have used both, and still do at times. BaseCamp is still the best tool for creating routes for Garmin GPSRs. It's not that hard, but then it's also not very intuitive until you get going. That is a big reason Ed spends so much time at the beginning just going over file organization in My Collection. For me, Basecamp is almost as easy as Google Maps with the ability to drag routes, and it is better because if its innate ability to create silent via points rather than waypoints, and its capacity for much more complex mapping that causes the other ones to explode. Of course the import/export functions work directly with the GPS to quickly load routes in the GPS.

As always YMMV. I was responding to Josh who I know is a school teacher and has the ability to follow a structured learning plan. I think he will "get" this.

Tyre is practically as easy as Google Maps. I have used both, and still do at times. BaseCamp is still the best tool for creating routes for Garmin GPSRs. It's not that hard, but then it's also not very intuitive until you get going. That is a big reason Ed spends so much time at the beginning just going over file organization in My Collection. For me, Basecamp is almost as easy as Google Maps with the ability to drag routes, and it is better because if its innate ability to create silent via points rather than waypoints, and its capacity for much more complex mapping that causes the other ones to explode. Of course the import/export functions work directly with the GPS to quickly load routes in the GPS.
As always YMMV. I was responding to Josh who I know is a school teacher and has the ability to follow a structured learning plan. I think he will "get" this.
You are way overestimating Josh IMO. I mean have you even been paying attention to his RRs?

biggrin.png