clutch plate soak and idle speed drop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfeuerriegel

Reaction score
Finished up a clutch plate soak today and found some improvements in shifting. Shifting up into 2nd is still a bit inconsistent & still feels like 2nd is being grabbed every once in a while, other times like butter. What I found interesting is that my idle speed dropped down to 900 rpm from 1100 after the soak. I turned it back up and seems to be fine. Anyone have ideas why ? I used the correct torque specs. The idle speed adjuster is too stiff to accidentally change when removing he clutch cover so I ruled that out. I also found that all the clutch plate tabs were not in the right slots, pink dots between triangle marks, which I corrected. Most of the inner plates where dry except for the most outer and inner ones. Not being the original owner I don't have a detailed history on the maintenance, so always a few surprises.

Really gotta love the detailed write ups & pics in the forum. It sure helps with the confidence.

Thanks

If it's changing gear ok and running properly, it's unlikely to be a clutch assembly issue. Although you say you couldn't have disturbed the idle screw, you must have moved it to take the cover off. Could you have disturbed its routing even if not its setting?

Clutch pink dots won't affect anything (I've never seen any reason to have them together, though I did say that's the way it should be done on my write-up).

Did you do anything else other than the clutch?

If there is anything mechanically reducing engine speed, it will be doing some significant damage, it takes a lot to slow an FJR engine.

Thank you for the reply. Since the idle screw is fairly stiff to turn when attached I didn't think that it would turn while moving it out of the way. Being such a compact space it seemed difficult to affect its routing, but maybe I should take a 2nd look. Didn't touch anything else, just the clutch plates. Now, if my torque wrench was a little out of spec would that be an issue when tightening down the bolts @ 5.8 ft lbs (mine was set @ 69.6 inch lbs) ?

Randy

Are you referring to the torque of the bolts under the cover, on the clutch basket?

Thank you for the reply. Since the idle screw is fairly stiff to turn when attached I didn't think that it would turn while moving it out of the way. Being such a compact space it seemed difficult to affect its routing, but maybe I should take a 2nd look. Didn't touch anything else, just the clutch plates. Now, if my torque wrench was a little out of spec would that be an issue when tightening down the bolts @ 5.8 ft lbs (mine was set @ 69.6 inch lbs) ?Randy
Torque value on the clutch basket bolts won't alter anything (so long as they continue to hold the basket together).

FWIW, when I soaked my clutches I didn't use a torque wrench, went by feel. No issues.

I used the torque wrench on my clutch basket bolts but always felt like it wasn't enough torque. Seemed weak to me. Also they didn't have any loctite on them so I didn't add any. The worry-wort in me keeps thinking they're all going to come apart one day.
uhoh.gif
I know, it'll be fine, shut up and ride.

Thanks all for the replies. I have come to the conclusion that I must have tweaked the idle speed screw when trying to move it out of the way of the clutch cover. The clutch bolts I'm sure are fine. I'm going for a ride and not fretting about it.