Apollo heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack G

Reaction score
I just purchased a set of Apollo heated grips (p/n 0631-0152) for my '04 FJR based on input from this forum.

Does anyone have personal experience with these?

Anything I need to know re: installation?

How do you like them?

I have a set of heated grips now that work well and throw lots of heat. They were on the bike when I bought it and are getting hard and smooth and have a bulky controller.

I am hoping these are a little larger in diameter and softer.

Here's a good thread on them:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/161100-tecno-globe-koso-appolo-heated-grips-with-embedded-controller-on-the-left-gripphotos/?hl=apollo

with my own comments:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/161100-tecno-globe-koso-appolo-heated-grips-with-embedded-controller-on-the-left-gripphotos/?p=1274067

As the first year with these grips on the ride comes to an end, I thought I'd share some thoughts for anyone considering adding them this winter.
Pros:

• VERY effective - although I cannot compare it to other offerings. I rarely used the lowest setting (maybe with thinner gloves?) 40% helps with light chill, 60%is enough for cold without rain or excess wind, 80% works great for cold and damp, 100% feels so good in cold rain (like the overnight stretch of the Void rally in October.
  • Good value - very happy spending $129 (+15 s&h) on a nicely integrated system. Simple installation with minimal space requirements for the inline controller.
  • Works with Throttlemeister throttle-lock bar ends (with only a slight adjustment, not much more than the normal routine tightening due to O-ring slippage.)
Cons:

• The connector between the the two grips is made with very brittle plastic, the lock tab snapped off the very first time I disconnected it. Wound up using small zip ties to keep them together.
  • The grip itself is firm with barely any cushioning. I'll be adding Grip Buddies (not puppies - which tear and absorb water) in a few weeks.
  • The button seems to require VERY deliberate presses - seemingly more so over the past year - with no tactile feedback (like a detent or click). While this may be to avoid accidental presses, it's an unneeded distraction, especially in cold, dark, rainy conditions.
Also, it may be of interest that:

• I mounted the left (control) side rotated slightly down to avoid accidental pressing across the horn or high beam switches, while still leaving the indicator visible.
  • I'll be adding Suzuki guards (a la Dale's guide: https://www.fjrtech.n...tem.cfm?item=30) this winter. I'll bo my best to report on issues or workarounds with that project.

Thank you. I had read that thread and that's what convinced me to buy them.

Hard or soft is relative to what you have now I guess. Since these were on the bike when I bought it I don't know what original grips felt like.

Pics of my current heated grips.

I absolutely love having my hand guards installed. Sooo much better in the rain and cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got 'em, love 'em. Only issue I had was getting them glued on. They come with a small tube of glue that looks like super glue. I was hesitant to put that stuff on my bars so used regular Honda grip cement. Didn't stick for beans. They have a hard plastic inner sleeve that the glue just couldn't bond to. Ended up using 3m Fast Tack...

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3m-fast-tack-trim-adhesive-5-oz.-tube-08031/22984713-p?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-GPLA-_-22984713&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=22984713&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&iv_=__iv_p_1_a_214327102_g_12425515822_w_aud-48102772055:pla-150170131462_h_9006949_ii__d_c_v__n_g_x_pla_y_6201684_f_online_o_22984713_z_US_i_en_j_150170131462_s__vi__&gclid=CjwKEAjw0pa5BRCLmoKIx_HTh1wSJABk5F_4rLs7qskkITvgThaFQXtdXMULOszzteW4aYgBKURYZxoCwdvw_wcB#utm_source=pla&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=gpla&utm_content=22984713

Worked great. Put a coat on the bar and a coat on the inside of the grip. Let dry. When you're ready to install, wipe the surface of the dry glue on the bars with rubbing alcohol to make it slippery. Immediately slide the grip on and position it the way you want it. I gave mine a day to dry but not sure I needed to.

Last edited by a moderator: