A Very Handy Tool

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
A while back, somebody had a problem with his rear seat not readily releasing with the key--too tight, I guess. He did get it released, with a heavyweight sitting on the seat while he was able to turn the key, I think, but I posted my idea anyway, since I thought it might work for somebody else sometime, and it's always good to have an alternative. I suggested putting a heavy strap around the seat and cranking it down. I had a cargo strap courtesy of the U.S.A.F., since they were going to toss it away. It was missing a retaining clip on the hook--a possible "gig." Horrors.

So with that still sort of on my mind, I was faced with the PITA job of removing and reinstalling the radiator on my '05. I'd punctured it, but a local shop repaired it for $65, thanks to suggestions offered here by somebody. The last upper bolt was a real bear to get aligned and inserted. No room, terrible angle, lots of hoses and tubes and harnesses and brackets right in the way. I tried thirty ways to get it lined up and the bolt started, until I thought of . . . my Air Force-reject cargo strap!

Wrapped it around the whole bike and the radiator and drew it in a click at a time. Pulled the thing right into place, ran in the bolt easy-peasy! Had to share it. If you don't happen to have a strap like this, well, they are pretty useful for quite a few jobs anyway. Maybe you should get one. But I can't think of a better way to do this particular job--at least alone. Or un-stick a stuck seat either, for that matter.

Very tough with limited space to get this bolt aligned and started. Wish I knew how to draw those red arrows onto a pic. But since it's the only bolt in the picture . . .

IMG_0498_zpsifj2vzqd.jpg

Until I thought of doing this. Kind of big to carry in my bike tool box, but still . . .

IMG_0497_zpsnxrnsyhp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unique approach but THAT would make me nervous regarding your newly repaired radiator. I realize it's a tight fit with the the coolant hoses and wiring harness but that really shouldn't be necessary. Something may be getting squeezed. I had the rad off my '05 about 2 yrs ago and also recall those two upper bolts being a bit of a pain (one side being harder to access than the other.)

Regards,

Mr. BR