Gamin 590 or 595?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakyFastFreddie

Reaction score
So I've decided to go with a new Gamin and trying to decide on either the Garmin 590LM ($799) or the most recently released 595LM ($899). I'm thinking what's another $100 for the most up-to-date model. Anyone know of a reason not to go with the 595LM? I still can't believe they don't give you a soft case when paying this much. Com'on man!

One other question. If Garmin has the same price as internet vendors, doesn't it make sense to purchase from Garmin? Wouldn't you get the most recent loaded units? Just my thinking. I might have to pay Garmin taxes though, not sure about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with the 595LM and get it from Alex at www.realtimeindustries.com. He's a forum member and will give you a deal.

Faced with same decision I bought the 595LM without any experience with the 590. Decided I keep my GPS's forever so if I start with what Garmin claims is their best today then it will last for longer forever.
smile.png

Seriously, I still have my Garmin GPS III+ and GPS V. The III+ quit turning on several years ago, I suspect the power button.

My last moto GPS was a 550. I had it for several years. I was on a bike trip in Arkansas leading a group when it went out on me. Perfect timing. Garmin replaced it twice, once I paid the $100 for a rebuilt one. It didn't last either so I let it go when I sold the last bike. Hopefully the 595 will last but I'm not holding my breath. I figure if you can get 6 years use out of anything electronic these days, it a success!

If you have a certain, un-supported Garmin MC GPS, like a SPIII, they (Garmin direct) were going to give me $400.00 TRADE IN towards the 590..

As I already sold the old SPIII (so I couldn't mail it in, but it was still registered to me), they took off $200 right off the top..

I also bought my 590 through Garmin and got a nice discount for a Streetpilot 2820. I really like these units, but they are best on the motorcycle as they compete for smartphone resources in the car, where the phone might be streaming music and operating hands-free.