The Dragon...again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bockelrider

Reaction score
Three days in Robbinsville NC at the Two Wheel Inn. I love that place. Who else has a garage for your bike next to your room?

The wife let me out for some solo time and back to the Dragon all three days. What a hoot. Ran into lots of FJR guys. Twice I met father/son both on FJRs. The Dads were both around 70. That is stuff for the scrap books. (Do people still do that??)

Helped a guy pick up his Wing at Deals Gap. Tipped over while parking it. Boy those things are heavy!

The wife and I hit the Wheels Thru Time. A must see if you are down there. They have a great mix of American Motorcycles. Many were new names for me.

The area is so fun to ride, the views, the corners and the friendly people.

We ate at the Hub in Robbinsville four times. Great grub, covered parking for the bike and super people!

No tickets, did not fall down and did not drop the bike...a win!

Back home today but my mind is still on the Dragon....I love that road!

Looking forward to next week in SE Ohio with GrayRay and the gang!

You prob met Redfishhunter and his pops. Here was his text message to me the other day.

I met a forum member, Bacalrider(not sure of spelling) his last name is Bacala. He rides an '05 with Russell seats. Nice guy, I told him to find you guys.

Hey Steve, you were in the neighborhood...coulda give me a call. I would have tried to ride with you for a bit.

Glad you had fun. Hope you and wifey are doin fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt... it's a small world.

I am going to Helen GA to see all the great roads (Deals Gap, Cherahala Skyway, etc in June w/ the COG National Rally.

Maybe I will see some more FJR guys too!

So I'm guessing that's you in the Killboy shots around 10 am or so with pillion? My son and I rode through there on our feejers on Saturday around 12 noon. Wish we'd known there were other forum members there at the time. That US129 is nothing if not a blast. I wish the Subaru nerds would stay off of it though. We hit one hairpin going into the dragon and the lead dog of a pack of 6 or so hung his wheels well into our side of the line. It got our attention big time.

Sounds like a great time, we love that area. The Dragon, Cherohala, the Blue Ridge are all outstanding rides. The Hub has some great food and it's always fun to look where the rental bikes have been dropped too.

Six of my buds and I were in the Robbinsville area 4/24 thru 4/30. Met a FJR rider from Minnesota that was with a group of Hyabusa riders and saw a few other FJRs. Weather and roads were perfect. What a great area.

Small world it is....I was down there as well from 4/23 thru 4/30! Went thru the Dragon twice during the week. Sunday was BUSY, and Wednesday was very light traffic.

Definitely motorcycle nirvana down that way!!
punk.gif
punk.gif

No doubt... it's a small world.
I am going to Helen GA to see all the great roads (Deals Gap, Cherahala Skyway, etc in June w/ the COG National Rally.

Maybe I will see some more FJR guys too!
I just got back from Helen. The roads around there are outstanding! Check out Richard B Russell scenic hiway, Wolfpen Gap road (180), and 19.

So I'm guessing that's you in the Killboy shots around 10 am or so with pillion? My son and I rode through there on our feejers on Saturday around 12 noon. Wish we'd known there were other forum members there at the time. That US129 is nothing if not a blast. I wish the Subaru nerds would stay off of it though. We hit one hairpin going into the dragon and the lead dog of a pack of 6 or so hung his wheels well into our side of the line. It got our attention big time.
Unfortunately, it's not the brand but the nut behind the wheel.

Did it once with my STi and had a blast; never crossing the center line... ever.

Both the Dragon and the Snake are on my list of where I'd like to venture in the near future. If not this year, then next year for sure. There's another one down that way that has a moniker...but I'll be damned if I can't remember it. I think it was near Little Switzerland or something similiar.

Both the Dragon and the Snake are on my list of where I'd like to venture in the near future. If not this year, then next year for sure. There's another one down that way that has a moniker...but I'll be damned if I can't remember it. I think it was near Little Switzerland or something similiar.
This one could be a day ride for you...

https://backofthedragon.com/

Nothing to see here...just more flat, boring stuff...highly patrolled of course!

and there's Diamondback... https://thediamondbacknc.com/

and there's Diamondback... https://thediamondbacknc.com/
Yeah, that's probably what he was thinking about, Lisa

Hey! Wheatie says Flat, straight, boring.

Iff'n ya don't believe it here's the map.

dragons-tail-and-cheoah-skyway-map%201_zpsrv6nfgvt.jpg

punk.gif