Bi-Focal Motorcycle Sunglasses!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-Pilot

Addicted to HP
Reaction score
Holy crap!! It's a "new to me" discovery anyway
thumbsup.gif

So. I stumbled upon a pair of dark bifocal (bi-focal) motorcycle sunglasses with foam padding!

Comes in 1.0 through 3.0 diopter (0.5 increments). So I ordered a pair and they are exactly what I needed to see my gauges, GPS, and smart phone better! Yay!

bifocal_motorcycle_sunglasses_dark_1.jpg

Then I did some quick searching and found them in night yellow,

bifocal_motorcycle_sunglasses_night_yellow_1.jpg

And even found a red pair to match my bike!

bifocal_motorcycle_sunglasses_red_1.jpg

Only $12 to $20 a pair depending on where you buy them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am relatively new to the needing reading glasses. I only need about 1.25 to 1.5 drug store readers. Massive improvement in the time it takes to read a dash display! Getting older!

I've been using sunglasses with cheaters in the bottom for years. Unfortunately I have progress up to 2.5 and still moving up. I agree they are great.

Prescription progressive bifocals for .... a really, really long time. Payroll-deduction FSA buys me new glasses and sunglasses every year.

It's a real pain to swap them out while riding, so I'm wondering if the FSA will fund the purchase of a Bell photo-grey visor. Can't hurt to ask, right?

A few years ago when I started to need bifocals I searched the Internet for some bifocal sunglasses I could use on the bike. I found a site called SafetyglassesUSA. They provide bifocal safety glasses/sunglasses of all types and brands. Prices range from $10 to a few hundred dollars depending on brand. I've ordered from them several times and am very pleased. If I knew how to post a link to steer site I would do it but on my tablet I've never been able to figure it out.

Watch out for polarized versions though. It can make seeing through a face shield (or the plastic over instruments) "challenging".

Bounce posted: Watch out for polarized versions though. It can make seeing through a face shield (or the plastic over instruments) "challenging".
Hahahahahaha!

Q: How can you tell Uncle Hud is looking at his dashboard?

A: His head is tilted 90 degrees to the right.

FsA will absolutely cover prescription sunglasses whether bifocal or not :)

For the record, I was able to get me in-ear monitors on my fsa mainly I think because I went to an audiologist attached to a MD office.

For most of my life, I thought that bifocals were horrific signs of impending senility. Now I think they're a brilliant invention. I've never had a pair, but I got to the point where I needed readers now and then. My brother and optometrist talked me into trying multifocal contact lenses (I'm nearsighted and wear contacts anyway). Now I see like I did when I was 20. Near, far, and in between. Both eyes the same, both lenses (L/R) the same. Shameless plug for multifocals.

Here's a product that converts any set of glasses- sun or otherwise- to bifocals: Hydrotac Stick on Bifocal lenses- they stick to your glasses of choice like magic with plain water, are available in many strengths, can be trimmed to optimum size with scissors, and can be removed and used on other glasses. Available various sources online. I've used them for years with good luck- much cheaper (~$15) than prescription shades.

Should look into a pair of those.

A buddy of mine started working for https://www.reconinstruments.com/ and put one of those delightful units onto his motorcycle goggles, says he loves it, when I reached out to the company they said they were "Looking into the potential application for motorcycling" What're the groups thoughts on something along the lines of this?

I'm more concerned with the thing in case of crash more then anything else, though the idea does intrigue me, especially since unlike the Skully AR-1 this unit would be moveable from whatever helmet/goggle set you wear for riding.

Punkinhead posted: That's probably the worst website I've ever visited. I clicked through several links and couldn't figure out what the hell these things do. It reminded me of multi-level marketing pitches I've seen.
ReconJet is a Heads Up Display on a chassis that's also sunglasses. From their website:

"ReconJet’s smartphone-class processor backs an onboard GPS and a comprehensive sensor suite: accelerometer, gyroscope, altimeter, barometer, and magnetometer. Need more? Jet features ANT+, Bluetooth Smart (Bluetooth 4.0), and Wi-Fi connectivity. And it even pairs with your smartphone to get caller ID, SMS notifications, and access to social media."

1. Don't think it would fit under a helmet.

2. Do you need an accelerometer, altimeter, and gyroscope?

3. What good is a magnetometer? To use as a compass?

While I'm all for people buying stuff -- and LOTS of people need the latest and greatest stuff -- I can think of many better ways to spend $500.

Photo assist:

recon-jet_white.jpg