2016 FJR1300A Check Engine Light On

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXFJR

Reaction score
So I was out of town on a weekend ride, and at 522 mi (dealer told me that's what the ecu logged), my cel came on. I remember a couple of our fellow forum members saying that they experienced cel events as well and that Bellerophon's error turned out to be a kickstand deployed error. I went into the dealer today, and their gold certified tech had to do a software download to be able to connect with my 2016 ecu. Guess what, just like his, I had kickstand deployed while in gear errors, 85 of them as ecu logged events to be exact. I did slip up and put the kickstand down while in gear a couple of times over the weekend, but I'm calling bs on 85 of them. I can only assume that there's a glitch with false errors, or there were errors logged into my bike's ecu before I got it. Either way, I'm not understanding why putting the kickstand down, in gear, should cause a cel fault. Maybe someone smarter than me will come along and enlighten me. Maybe there's a factory software engineer somewhere whose keister is now in hot water? I'm hoping I smell a future recall and firmware upgrade for this. I'm paranoid to use my sidestand now!
uhoh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It will actually log those? On mine, I will often just put the kickstand down when I come to a stop where I'm parking and let it kill the engine.
unknw.gif

Yes, it will log kickstand deployed while in gear. It will track all kinds of stuff such as engine hard to start, and engine stalled. Those are just a couple amoung the several dozen things the ecu tracks that I remember while watching the tech do his thing. Those stood out to me because they were logged errors on my bike. I did stall my bike once while pulling out of a steep driveway, but certainly don't remember 85 kickstand events under my watch. Which makes me think that these bikes may be shipped with logged errors in them, maybe from factory systems testing, or perhaps they happend during dealer setup?

Got on the phone today with Yamaha customer support. I questioned the lady some, trying to better understand why this event got triggered in the first place. She told me 4 possible causes for a cel light caused by the sidestand deployed fault. I discounted two right away not thinking they applied in this case, the two that I felt might apply were, possible faulty sidestand sensor/wiring, or faulty ecu. I asked her how many times does it take for a sidestand deployed event to trigger the cel. Her answer was it only takes once. I'm thinking to myself, that doesn't make sense, because the few times that I did put my sidestand down while in gear, it killed the engine right away, but didn't trigger the cel, but then again, the bike was still at the time. So now I'm wondering if the event might have triggered while the bike was in motion and the sensor did something whacky, or maybe I hit the sidestand nub with the heel of my boot and the sensor is too sensitive, who knows. Her answers were not very detailed imo, she would only go just so far on the technicals, and then advised me to take it into the dealer for a once over check. The dealer's tech said he's waiting to hear back from the factory.

To be continued.......

Stop thinking! Just ride.........
It's the industrial maintenance technician in me that cannot stand nuisance issues on equipment and has to get to the bottom of it. I can't help myself, it's a sickness.....

It is not a sickness to strive for no nuisance errors!

Yammie missed something, and I bet there's an engineer in Japan who knows the issue intimately.

This is why I never buy a "first year" anything. Kind of irritating that Yamaha can't uncluster their software and keep this from happening. With this popping up within 1500 miles, what else is lurking in there?

This is why I never buy a "first year" anything. Kind of irritating that Yamaha can't uncluster their software and keep this from happening. With this popping up within 1500 miles, what else is lurking in there?
Not really to worried, about it.
Yeah, but I'm OCD over stuff like that. It would make me crazy.

Not really to worried, about it.

Not a big deal...my 06 had a few recalls. They'll get it figured out...it's an FJR.
Right you are Joe, my '08 was recalled a few times. It sure didn't stop me from enjoying the bike, and the recalls were taken care of at normal service intervals. I had the pleasure of being the first with the side stand engine light error. I never missed a day of riding. Once Snake River Yamaha reset it, it has not returned. In the imortal words of Alfred E. Newman, "what me worry".

Time to buy a Harley?
The FJR flashes a CEL (Check Engine Light) and threatens not to run, but it goes on and on. The Harley says nothing, and that's just what happens ;) At least in the old days where all it would do is sit there and quietly drip away and not run, today they are much different.

So a little bird told me that the mother ship is in the process of a fix for this issue that will be out in a couple months.

Or I was dreaming.