Re birthing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjaus

Reaction score
I have discovered a written( statutory write off) of 2014 FJR. This bike cannot be re registered in Australia. It can be used for parts or scrap.

I propose that I use all the 2014 parts(with the exception of the headstock) and use only the headstock(which contains the requisit VIN number) from my current 2004.

So the new project would consist of all 2014 parts possible and the minimum of 2004 parts so that the headstock tube to which the precious VIN tag is atached which would in theory allow me to re register the 2014 using my current VIN.

Can the 2004 headstock and associated framework be interchanged with the 2014 frame?

This would be no cheap undertaking but would be considerably cheaper than buying a 2014 bike.

Any guidance appreciated.

Craig

I propose that I use all the 2014 parts(with the exception of the headstock) and use only the headstock(which contains the requisit VIN number) from my current 2004.
Some parts will work, many will not. Personally, I wouldn't try and mix a Gen 1 and Gen 3 bike.

Start with the FJR Model Year Compatibility Matrix to get an inkling of what headache you're in for...and realize you'd be delving into ground that nobody few no sane person has done before yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The frames are different part numbers at Yamaha, implying that at least something is different about them. It might be the placement of bolt holes, some tab here or there in the casting, whatever. It would Truly Suck to find that out after getting the write-off bike and disassembling it, disassembling your own bike, and then finding things that won't bolt back on.