Headlight Assembly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RzrBak

Reaction score
In 2014 I replaced the halogen bulbs with HIDs. The issue I have is the inside of the lens assembly has hazing in some areas and I want to try cleaning it (rather than shelling out $260 buck for a new one.

2e4ebb6a-dda4-4c4f-a536-f935784ecb9e_zpstnpjcgru.jpg

I have the windshield, entire front cowling, nose etc. removed to replace one of the ballasts and fix some loose wire connections. I noticed on the headlight assembly there are tabs surrounding it. Can these be pried up to release the lens? If so, has anyone actually done it and what issues were encountered?

04466fee-bcff-4f76-80e7-0376c2c367de_zpseswm2lon.jpg

Can these be pried up to release the lens? If so, has anyone actually done it and what issues were encountered?
Having looked at the two Gen 1 reflectors I've owned out of the bike and turning every way possible...I came to the conclusion they're glued together with some solid stuff and didn't risk it for projectors that were still usable to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was my thinking too. If I had a spare lying around I would have continued with it until it either came loose or cracked but I need the bike to get to work. Maybe someone else completed "the mission".

Just like cars, they are tabbed and glued together with a permatex black like bonding agent.

THERE WAS A POST , in regards to a gentleman cooking the headlight assembly in an oven to open up the area to change out the lens to projectors........ I was talked out of thew idea by my mech due to ,

There is a video of on youtube of installing projectors on a Gen II bike. They heat the whole assembly in an oven to soften the glue.

- go to 2:48.
I have the projectors and a spare headlight assy from a wrecker but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

In 2014 I replaced the halogen bulbs with HIDs. The issue I have is the inside of the lens assembly has hazing in some areas and I want to try cleaning it (rather than shelling out $260 buck for a new one.
Perhaps hazing on the inside should be taken as a clue that the lens is not up to the stresses HID requires? That HID might emit much more UV than halogen resulting in aging of the plastic lens?

Perhaps hazing on the inside should be taken as a clue that the lens is not up to the stresses HID requires? That HID might emit much more UV than halogen resulting in aging of the plastic lens?
Yeah great, thanks for enlightening me...
sarcasm.gif
I already knew this could be a possibility before I made the switch but it was worth it to me. I was changing halogen bulbs about every 3 months due to the pothole infested roads I ride everyday to and from work (about 150 miles round trip). I also prefer the brighter light output for visibility/safety reasons.

Hi all I have retrofitted my Fjr a couple of years back as well as my wife's Toyota rav 4 and noiw my subaru impreza with hid projectors. Up till now, I can't be any happier! It is easy. The recommendation is 270F for 7 min. The glue hoies pretty soft and the lense can be easily separated. The reverse is true for putting it back together https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/160044-hid-retrofit-with-projectors-and-angel-eyes/?hl=projectors Luis
Great write-up on the install. I'll have to go back and thoroughly read it to get some ideas.

sarcasm.gif
Not just you, other readers for posterity.

I already knew this could be a possibility before I made the switch but it was worth it to me. I was changing halogen bulbs about every 3 months due to the pothole infested roads I ride everyday to and from work (about 150 miles round trip). I also prefer the brighter light output for visibility/safety reasons.
In other words, you are the only worthy person on the road and your bright lights shining in the eyes of others is not important? Have you considered gutting your mufflers or use of aftermarket race pipes so you can be heard?

It is trivially easy to make brighter headlights. We have standards so as to put the light where it is needed and keep it out of where it is harmful.

sarcasm.gif
Not just you, other readers for posterity.

In other words, you are the only worthy person on the road and your bright lights shining in the eyes of others is not important? Have you considered gutting your mufflers or use of aftermarket race pipes so you can be heard?

It is trivially easy to make brighter headlights. We have standards so as to put the light where it is needed and keep it out of where it is harmful.
Geez...I didn't realize anyone would take those 2 sentences out of context and berate me with them. I don't mod up my bike to maliciously interfere with others on the road. Anything I can do to be seen (and yes heard) I have done and all within legal standards. Thanks for the input though.

Whoa! I would note that HID upgrades have been discussed many, Many, MANY times over the years on this forum, is an excellent upgrade if done right, and your assumptions that they're automatically blinding on-coming traffic or torch all reflectors is overly simplistic and a bit harsh.

For example, HID low-beam conversions preserve the cutoff and don't blind oncoming traffic. And we also have run into issues of reflector damage in some cases that's related to localized heat above the capsule sometimes depending on whether the HID has a shield or not, and the later higher wattage units.

Those threads are out there...just waiting for somebody to spend a bit of time and effort and see the many, Many, MANY nuggets available if you want to. Meanwhile, back to the topic of THIS thread....splitting open the headlight assembly.
wink.png

I am not so sure about that. This picture was taking today and the lense still crystal clear

https://goo.gl/photos/ptMvh3YWmRR2UhCT9

Whoa! I would note that HID upgrades have been discussed many, Many, MANY times over the years on this forum, is an excellent upgrade if done right, and your assumptions that they're automatically blinding on-coming traffic or torch all reflectors is overly simplistic and a bit harsh.
My statement keyed off the claim of HID "upgrade" being necessary to add brightness.

For example, HID low-beam conversions preserve the cutoff and don't blind oncoming traffic.
How so? Who tests and certifies? There is no magic in making brighter headlights. All the magic is in keeping headlights out of the eyes of oncoming traffic. Halogen reflectors are not designed for, not focused for, HID filaments.

I don't see the illegal aftermarket modification of headlights as any different than the Loud Pipes Saves Lives crowd. Both are me-centric without respect of others.

There is the assumption that louder must be better "because it is more and everyone knows more is always better." But the louder the motorcycle the less anything else can be heard. The motorcyclist can't hear others, sirens for instance. Same thing happens with headlights. The brighter your headlight spot the less you can see outside the headlight's illumination. High beams are unfocused covering 10-20x the area with only twice the power resulting in less illumination yet visibility is greater. Brighter is not what is needed. Factory HID and LED concentrate on improving the pattern of light.

Hi all I have retrofitted my Fjr a couple of years back as well as my wife's Toyota rav 4 and noiw my subaru impreza with hid projectors. Up till now, I can't be any happier! It is easy. The recommendation is 270F for 7 min. The glue hoies pretty soft and the lense can be easily separated. The reverse is true for putting it back together https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/160044-hid-retrofit-with-projectors-and-angel-eyes/?hl=projectors Luis
One question I wanted to ask, when you put the assembly back together after baking it, did you use any of the additional glue from the kit or was there an ample amount left to make a good seal?

I bought some extra glue, but you don't really need it. I only re heated the assembly and pressed it back together. You can clamp it for a while if you wish. I have washed the bike multiple times ever sinvce with direct hosing and the assembly as in today is still totally sealed. No leaks...

I bought some extra glue, but you don't really need it. I only re heated the assembly and pressed it back together. You can clamp it for a while if you wish. I have washed the bike multiple times ever sinvce with direct hosing and the assembly as in today is still totally sealed. No leaks...
I went ahead and baked the assembly and after the first round I only got the top pried loose. That glue hardens pretty quick. On the second round I got the bottom loose and was able to clean the inside of the lenses. I had to bake the whole thing a third time so I could get the two pieces back together.

The insides weren't bad at all so it seems the HID's didn't do any damage after 2 years of being installed.
yes2.gif

Novus is the best polish and cleaner for anything plastic. It is a 3-step system. You can usually just use the #2 & #3 because the #1 is for heavy scratches. You can buff it by hand or machine. It is really amazing stuff and what the pros use in the shop for acrylic/polycarb fabrication.