Redfish in The Smoky Mountain Rain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redfish Hunter

Gone Fishing
Reaction score
Just a short Ride Report of a short ride from South Louisiana to the Smokies and back.

A good friend and co-worker of mine and I have been talking about taking a trip somewhere but we never seem to find the time. We all know how that goes. But we also know that living with the regret of shoulda woulda coulda after it is too late can be painful. So we made the time. Of course, Redfish does not go on a motorcycle adventure without Pop.

My friend rides a very nice, very well set up '14 HD Street Glide. His riding style and tastes are a bit different from mine but I really wanted to show him the Deal's Gap area and we figured compromises could be made. I think it was worth the effort and I hope after 6 days of riding he agrees.

We had Mom's homemade biscuits filled with egg, sausage, and home made strawberry jam and set off.

I like to stay on secondary roads as much as possible and my routing is a source of great pride to me. I actually did 4(!!!) miles of interstate in a 2034 mile ride and that was just for convenience.

We left Port Vincent, Louisiana at 7:15 am and had lunch in Wagarville, Alabama.

We kept to back roads and spent the night in Alexander City, Alabama.

Morning found us on the Talladega Scenic Byway:

Yes, those are mountains and yes, that is Alabama.

Pulling out of that scenic overlook I messed up and almost pulled out in front of a car. It was impossible to see anything until my front wheel was out in the road. Pop was trusting me to go and when I did not he was caught off guard and dropped his bike. I was very upset with myself but at least the frame sliders and bag protectors did their job. I am still irritated with myself. I only mention it here because drops do happen but we seldom admit it.

We weaved our way into North Georgia and had a nice lunch in White, GA at Wes-Man's Restaurant. There was an unfortunate incident in the back parking lot with an unexpected elevation change. The Harley stayed upright but sadly the kickstand spring was crushed and lost its life on the uneven asphalt and gravel. I am still impressed that HarleyMike managed to stay upright.

Not so impressive was my performance on my knees in that gravel lot trying to get that damned spring back into its holes.

We ate our lunch and it was excellent.

As luck would have it, just 3 miles up Hwy 411 was Southern Devil Harley. To my eternal amazement, they sold Mike a new spring for $7.34. I was so impressed that I bought a Harley T-Shirt for another friend while we were in there.

After several failed attempts and some very beat up front paws, I had failed to get the new spring installed. The service dept. guy told Mike to try it with the kickstand up... I can tell you that lying on that asphalt parking lot under the side of that big Harley getting my butt kicked by that spring was not the high point of my trip. But, we got it done. I lost some hide and some blood to that asphalt but we were back in business.

To be continued.

Heck yeah!!

Love seeing your Pops out on the road in those pics.

Good thing you are taking the pictures, the camera has a chance not breaking as long as you stay on the other side of the lens.

I know how those drops happen too. Look forward to seeing the rest of your travels.

I'm in too! Hope you have a great trip. I was shocked with Alabama's mountain areas too. We had a great time in that area.

I need to get back there but my daughter is finishing up her college days in Birmingham so I might not be as motivated to keep going that direction. And North Carolina is better as you will be showing us...

Good thing you are taking the pictures, the camera has a chance not breaking as long as you stay on the other side of the lens.
Well, that certainly explains it.
I can't wait till June, I'll be out there with the family for my first time being to that area as a motorcycle rider.

We headed up Hwy 411 pleased with ourselves. We encountered a guy on a black HD Street Glide that at first seemed to be a jerk but later turned out to be a really nice guy. He actually rode his HD like I ride my FJR and that seemed strange to us. Really nice fellow though and he could ride very well.

We stopped at the west end of Old Copper Road (Hwys 74, 64, 40, etc.)

I love that stretch of road and had routed us a bit out of our way just to ride it. We were slowed by very heavy traffic and lots of kayakers.

To beat the same dead horse I beat every time I ride up there... Why, Why, WHY do folks not pull over and let the traffic behind them GO?!

At Ducktown we stopped to fuel up and put on rain gear. I was watching the clock closely because I had a little side trip planned and I knew that the rain was going to slow us down on the twisty roads between us and the cabin we had reserved. Since we had lost an hour crossing the GA border I did not want to try finding our cabin in the dark.

We turned north up Hwy 68 then a right turn on Hwy 123 which turns into Hwy 294 at the NC border. A quick left turn into:

The Fields of the Wood. This place is out of the way and not for everyone but I wanted Mike to see it.

Jumped back on Hwy 294 headed SE toward Murphy NC. Weather changed from a light intermittent rain to a steady soaking rain. Turned left onto 74 again and the rain stayed with us. We had one surprise when we saw a groundhog??? perched in a small tree overhanging the road eating... Pop and I did not know they could climb.

We stopped for a few minutes to look at the water and arrange my directions to the cabin in my tankbag.

Then we pushed on through the rain through the Nantahala Gorge toward Bryson City.

Yes, I am a fan of Ronny Milsap and he just happens to be from Robbinsville NC. So yes, the song Smoky Mountain Rain was playing in my head. Unfortunately, it is still playing in there now.

Another GREAT RR...keep it coming
punk.gif

Since I am familiar with this area and know what I need to do and see it is easy for me to PLAN my trips in the Smokies. I had reserved a 3 bedroom cabin through Great Smokys Cabin Rentals called Mountain Lure. I have been burned before by a steep gravel driveway leading to a cabin in Arkansas and I have learned my lesson. Motorcycle Accessible and Motorcycle Friendly are just relative terms. I learned my lesson last time.

Motorcycle Accessible was the first box I checked. I carefully read the description: Paved access, 3 bedrooms, full kitchen, washer and dryer, 2 full bathrooms... just about perfect.

"The Wilderness Marina is about 4 minutes from Mountain Lure, making it the perfect base camp for bringing your boat or Sea Doo jetboat..."
"Mountain Lure is a boater's delight with easy paved roads perfect for trailering a boat..."

I figured if the place is accessible with a boat trailer then 3 decent riders from Swampy Flatlandistan should have no trouble getting their bikes up there. Mike and I studied the directions they sent us, they said the GPS would not get us there. I planned to find the cabin, unload our stuff and ride back into Bryson City for groceries with all my luggage empty.

The roads getting there were tight, twisty and beautiful. Of course, the steady rain had leaves, plant matter, rocks, and mud all over the surface but we were going very slow anyway. We found the "driveway" easily enough and...

I want to see somebody pull a boat trailer up that damn thing. I pull trailers all the time and I don't believe anyone could get a boat trailer or even a Sea Doo trailer up there. I don't think it is possible. I don't even know how they got the material to build the cabin up that little path.

I feel like a whiny little punk complaining about a road too curvy but this was a bit extreme. I honestly did not know my bike could climb asphalt that steep in the rain. The final switchback had the added bonus of mud and rocks washed off the cliff face into the road.

Pop was upset and did not want me going back to town by myself, he knew it would be dark for my ride back in. He wanted to go with me but I knew it had been a long day, he was tired, he was pissed, and it was time to shut down for the night.

For the record, none of us hit the ground the entire time we were there. I actually loved it. My two companions did not enjoy it at all. I wish I were riding it again today.

Pop was waiting with his camera when I got back from the store:

I made him cook the ribeyes which I failed to photograph. It was a 26 minute ride to the grocery store from the cabin.

The cabin was wonderful:

The road in, not so much.

It looked far worse in person. 1st gear at 2K RPM was faster than I wanted to go. I watched a Ford truck spin its tires hard on that turn and he was not trying to play. Those of you who live in the mountains can laugh all you want. There is no place down here for us to practice this kind of riding.

Enough whining.

I cooked a decent breakfast and we headed for Robbinsville. We hit the Cherohala and the weather was beautiful.

As we gained elevation Spring turned back to Late Winter.

Clouds formed, rain fell...

We finally got cell service since we only got the wifi service at our cabin.

The weather gradually cleared.

We rode to Bald River Falls.

We had an excellent lunch at Tellico Kat's and made our way around to the north end of The Dragon.

Sorry but right now Real Life and The Real World are calling me. I have things to do but I will get back to this Soon.