Painting my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayven99

Reaction score
Well I'm curious if anyone has painted their FJR? I'm looking to paint the color portions of the bike to another simple color. I got quotes from $1,500 to $3,200. I think I seen cheaper for a whole car. If anyone has had their bike painted recently please let me know if these prices are outrangous or not?

Interesting you are bringing this up. I'm in the process of repainting my bike right now. I happen to work at a body shop though, so I can't really get you an idea on price.

What color are you thinking?

I happen to work at a body shop though, so I can't really get you an idea on price.
Wow, did I ever have that wrong !
no.gif

Well I'm curious if anyone has painted their FJR?
Oh Yeah !

Over the years there's been quite a few custom paint jobs. Probably have to search for them on the site here.

Early model red's, black/blue tribals, yellows, red/orange, ... an interesting design by Reaper although I think he sold the bike recently .. etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure the bulk of the paint costs is in taking off the plastics and tank. If you've the inclination to pull them yourself, I'd imagine you'll be able to knock a grand or 2 off the price. Going a solid color makes it easy for them, just a little bit of masking for badges and such. If you're going 2-tone, make sure to tape/mark your lines while everything's on the bike so you can tell them which colors you want where.

[Friday]

I can't see paying $3,200 for a paint job that would only fit in at the Gay Rodeo once a year.

[/Friday]

2003 model, originally silver.

Mine cost me 2K. Done through the dealer service manager.I removed the plastic myself but had the dealer put it all back, "just in case"

Wish I still owned her :-(

Roughly $3200 a few years back...

IMG_1466.jpg

Make sure that the painter knows how to paint plastic body panels. My painter came from the custom Harley scene where the fenders and body pieces are metal. His paint job didn't flex very well with my tupperware. Every stone chip showed spalling and clear coat failure. Later I had another painter friend told me that there is an additive that gets mixed into the paint to make it adhere better to a flexible body panel.

Unfortunately this paint job only lasted another 9 months when the bike became a hood ornament to a '2000 Chevy Silverado pick up truck.

Brodie

sadsmiley.gif

Magnetic Bronze?
While I'm really digging my Blue 2016A, that Magnetic Bronze is really stunning. And yes, I do wish we could still get the AE in the US. Until you own one, you cannot fully comprehend what an advantage it is. It's really the only thing I miss about my '08. That is truly a beautiful bike mcatrophy.

<<<<<<< prefers yellow n black

But I bet you already knew that.
punk.gif

1234.jpg

sans Yamaha decal and fractured reflective stripe on panniers

Well sadly i'm just seeing everyone's post. I thought I followed the thread but thanks for the info. I was going or a solid blue color. I just saw the Blue 2016 and I almost got pissed becasue close to what I wanted but I was looking toward a different shade of Blue. More like to 2015 corvette or older stingray corvetteback in the late 60's. I know I'll hear about this but very close to the Suzuki blue used in the GSXR's. I was looking for a solid color in that with maybe a different trim in certain areas. However I told the painters I would take the plastics off and I even bought new ones still in the boxes. All they said it would barely drop the price. Basically charging about $200 per part to be painted. So at this point the bike will stay it's 2004 color sadly. I just did a lot of changes to the bike and was hoping to top it all off with new color.

Have it wrapped. It would be less expensive. There are lots of options available for that. 3M makes a couple of blues in their 1080 product line, G217 which is a deep blue metallic and G227 which is a blue metallic, much lighter. You can always remove the wrap without damaging the paint (providing you remove it correctly, it was installed correctly, and there were no paint issues prior to wrapping it).