Original CCT What Should I Do?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stose85

Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick question about my 06. After getting all of the recalls done and up to date concerning the wiring/spider issue and most of the preventative maintenance, I decided to check out the CCT. I looked it over (with very little clearance) and did not find any dots on the unit. I'm going to assume this is the original OEM CCT. Should I have it changed during the valve check or just wait? At this point I have no unusual noises from that side, and I can't hear the chain at all. The bike has 25,105 miles on it. I did see the thread concerning CCT failures and most appeared to be the GEN1's, but there were some 2006 models thrown in there.

Given that you have no noises and you are due for a valve check right now anyway just wait and have it changed along with the valve check.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'll bite the bullet and do it with the valve check.

I have an 06 with 75,000km or 46,600 miles which last summer developed a rattling sort of noise from the lower right side when letting off the throttle. I replaced the cct over the winter with a green dot one as a precaution. We are just beginning to get into riding now and I have only done a couple of hundred miles but so far no noise. I think you have lots of time.

I have an 06 with 75,000km or 46,600 miles which last summer developed a rattling sort of noise from the lower right side when letting off the throttle. I replaced the cct over the winter with a green dot one as a precaution. We are just beginning to get into riding now and I have only done a couple of hundred miles but so far no noise. I think you have lots of time.
Yeah, he has lots of time...but he is going to be checking valves anyways, so might as well do it while he's in there. The difference in CCT spring in significant!

Local shop in town (No Limit Powersports - Bartlesville Oklahoma) said they can do the valve check for $875 not including parts! This also DOES NOT include the CCT replacement. Anyone near Tulsa with a reputable mechanic that can do this for less than my right arm?

I tried to get one together in Tulsa or Dallas but I'm not having a lot of luck with guys that know the procedure. This is well beyond my level of expertise and I really don't want to screw this up.

$875 for a valve check is way out of line. If someone knows what they are doing, three hours should be more than enough if re-shimming isn't needed and it probably is still OK at the first check interval. Another couple of hours (max) if shims need changing. I'm sure it could be done faster but that's how long I take for mine (took longer the first time). Find a local Tech Day or meet up with an experienced local FJR person and do it yourself. Its not difficult. (I dithered about doing my first valve check for a long time and finally just took a day and did it myself.) I think you could safely wait awhile for the CCT but, personally, I wouldn't take a chance. Awkward to get at but not rocket science.

Action Cycle in Tulsa quoted me $667 in labor to change the CCT and adjust the valves. The part cost was going to run $132 for the new CCT. Still a little too high in my opinion. They did my recall work and are a gold rated Yamaha mechanic.

Last edited by a moderator:
On-line parts places run $90 or so for the CCT and another $1.40 for the gasket. The $667 does not include the parts? Price is probably not far out if you assume shim changes are needed and including labor for CCT. Not sure what shops are charging these days - my bike never sees the inside of a dealer's shop (and I am no expert mechanic). I can, however, read and ask questions. The FJR is pretty easy to work on.

On-line parts places run $90 or so for the CCT and another $1.40 for the gasket. The $667 does not include the parts? Price is probably not far out if you assume shim changes are needed and including labor for CCT. Not sure what shops are charging these days - my bike never sees the inside of a dealer's shop (and I am no expert mechanic). I can, however, read and ask questions. The FJR is pretty easy to work on.
I do agree especially on the last part. I've done everything except the recall by myself so I'm sure I could get through it. Maybe I'll just wait until after NAFO and get some more expert advice :) Maybe it will be better to set up a tech day with everyone there.

I will be checking my valves in the next month or two. My first time doing it on the FJR. Have done it before on mechanical valves, not one with shims so this will be a new procedure. I need to look for the dot on my CCT as it is making noise. Will probably change it out when I have it open for the valves. Printed off the procedure from the FJR1300 tech site so I have references.

I will be checking my valves in the next month or two. My first time doing it on the FJR. Have done it before on mechanical valves, not one with shims so this will be a new procedure. I need to look for the dot on my CCT as it is making noise. Will probably change it out when I have it open for the valves. Printed off the procedure from the FJR1300 tech site so I have references.
How many miles on your Gen 1?

Look for the pictures of the procedure that the Canadians put on at some Michigan Tech Day...the pictures are worth it for an explanation of the "how to".

I believe this is what Mr. Wheaton is talking about.......

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/136891-lessons-learned-on-changing-the-cct/

It looks daunting in that thread but it really isn't that bad. We just recently did mine at Mr. Griff's Tech Day and although you're opening up some of the innards of your motor it really isn't that scary. It does help the nerves when you have knowledgeable people around you though that's for sure, but for the price and time involved it's a no brainer to go ahead and do it for the peace of mind.

I tried to get one together in Tulsa or Dallas but I'm not having a lot of luck with guys that know the procedure. This is well beyond my level of expertise and I really don't want to screw this up.
Just invite RaYzerman19 down for the weekend...
rolleyes.gif