Damping rod dimension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
If someone has a fork apart could you measure the OD of the damping rod. I want to know if the tubing I have has a large enough ID to make my cartridge removal tool. Or if someone should happen to know it.

Thanks!

I posted in your tech day thread..... the ID of the spacer tubing is approx. .390 so the damping rod is less than that. If you use 1/2" ID tubing you will be good to go if you center it on the 1/2" drive of your socket... larger wouldn't hurt....

The PNW crew made up several sets of fork tools and used 3/4" OD tubing for the extension. The bigger tubing has a larger base to fit the 26mm socket and has a large enough ID that a 3/8" extension drops in the top. Welding it up was easy too!

--G

Thanks for the responses. I found out this weekend that my tubing was just a hair too small. It only fit over the threaded part. I will get a new piece of tubing and put mine together. No rush as Tom(Lonerider) brought one he made and gave it to me! Now I get to pay it forward. When I get mine together I will offer it up to be passed around when someone needs it.