Seattle to Jasper Alberta Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
This year I bought a Bushtec trailer for several reasons. One is so I can take my lovely bride on the cycle without the inevitable discussion of what she cannot bring - I don't need marital discource. The trailer will also be useful for travelling and camping. I can bring my camp gear and lot of crap which I like and lock my stuff in the trailer. I also bought a 4 person tent for my crap and if my bride wants to join me that is an option. The days of using a two person backpacking tent and thin mattress pad are over. And on this 5 day trip I saved enough in lodging to pay for the new tent.

I figure it will take about 35 nights camping to pay for 1/2 of the cost of the Bushtec trailer. Given I enjoy camping this is a no brainer decision considering my retirement from the Kite Factory in Seattle is near. On this five day trip I spent about $450. If I used hotel/motels the price would have easily doubled.

So after getting the trailer I had a few test rides before setting out on this trip. My destination is Halcyon and Miette Hot Springs in Canada.

In years past have completed the British Columbia, Canada, Hot Springs Circle loop. Halcyon Hotsprings is my favorite of those I have visited.

My day one route is about 550 miles. It take me over the North Cascades Highway (Hwy 20), to Hwy 97 where I cross into Canada, then to BC Hwy 33 to Vernon BC and from there Hwy 6 to Halcyon Hotsprings.

Day one did not start well. I put on my motorcycle shorts backwards. Not a good omen for this day. Lots of shit didn't go to plan this day.

I left Seattle at 5:00 am and the first day journey was 14.5 hours. I am not a fast rider by any means but I encountered unavoidable delays on the way.

The first delay was a due to some idiot driving into a telephone pole on an arrow straight section of Hwy 530 five miles before Darrington Washington. This caused a 40 minute klusterfuk delay. My heart goes out to the big rig drivers. The emergency response crew had their heads up their butt on this day. The first 20 minutes were spent waiting for detour directions to turn around, the big rigs too. The next 20 minutes were spent waiting to use the detour. By then the detour was shut down and we turn around again, the big rigs too, to the main highway where one lane was open.

Finally I got Rockport, Washington where the fun beings on the North Crashcades Hwy, one I have been riding since the the 1970’s. Lucky me. I decide to stop and take a photo of the entrance sign just because I like it and I haven't done that before.

IMG_3013%2B%2528640x480%2529.jpg

My new set up, my 09 with 66k miles runs like a champ and I will run it into the ground. To keep motorcycling interesting I like to change things up so this trailer certainly fits the bill.

IMG_3014%2B%2528800x600%2529.jpg

The weather in Seattle on the day I left was nice and it was nice on the west side of the North Cascades Hwy. Just a bit overcast.

IMG_3017%2B%2528800x512%2529.jpg

In Diablo you will find this:

IMG_3020%2B%2528800x600%2529.jpg

And this is a seasonal waterfall.

IMG_3021%2B%2528800x599%2529.jpg

And the scene changed. You may wonder how the FJR handles with the trailer. Not bad, but honestly I don't drive quickly and I have a huge aversion to falling so I slowed down even more with the trailer - and I don't mind. The only time I had a concern was after this photo. WSDOT has used CHEAP SEAL, on Hwy 20 starting about Rainy Pass eastbound all the damn way to Winthrop. Between Rainy and Washington Pass (yes there are two passes on this amazing highway a few miles apart) there is a descent of a few hundred feet with a mild left turn and an ascent to Washington Pass. On the descent the road was wet and I rolled off the throttle at 65mph, no brake and felt a bit of a shudder, as if the bike was on dirt. (I am an ex-dirt biker). I attribute the loss of traction to the wet chip seal surface, too much speed and the trailer pushing the bike.

On dry roads I had no issues - I know I am towing a trailer and the stopping distance is a bit more, but I believe this risk is manageable as much as the risk of using a sidecar is manageable. You will need good suspension to pull trailer so those with a Gen II and stock suspension will need an upgrade. I have GP up front and a Penske with a 850 spring outback.

Photo Caption - this was the North Cascade Hwy this time.

IMG_3023%2B%2528800x600%2529.jpg

And if you happen to be here in clear sky in May you will see this - These blue sky photos and text are from a ride report I posted last year:

After Diablo dam we continue east on the North Cascades Hwy and I whip out my camera for some on the go pics.

Enjoy!

IMG_2362%2B%28640x450%29.jpg

The temps were in the mid 50's to mid 60's most of the day. Perfect! And we were heading east on a Sunday while everybody else was heading back to the west. The road was mostly clear the entire way from Rockport to Winthrop a real treat.

IMG_2363%2B%28640x465%29.jpg

IMG_2364%2B%28640x467%29.jpg

If this road went on forever would you care?

IMG_2365%2B%28640x395%29.jpg

The road opened a couple of weeks ago, about one month early this year. Snow pack is down 50-75% this year.

IMG_2372%2B%28640x415%29.jpg

Approaching Washington Pass

IMG_2378%2B%28640x418%29.jpg

Crest of Washington Pass

IMG_2387%2B%28640x330%29.jpg

Just in case there is an avalanche.
uhoh.gif

IMG_2389%2B%28640x474%29.jpg

Anyway it was raining in Winthrop but not in Seattle on this trip. Very odd like my backwards undies on this day.

I did not take many more photos this day. I got hammered by rain on Hwy 33 and Hwy 6 in British Columbia Canada. The best I can say is my rain gear worked very well.

More backwards undie mojoe occurred at the ferry stop in Needles BC where the bike was parked on a downhill pitch. I was tired and absent minded when I got on the bike. As I mounted the bike I pulled the clutch. Ooops . The bike moved forward without my ass on it. For the first time in 66,000 miles my bike very gentlely fell over on it left side. No damage was done except for a very minor scratch on the an engine over. No plastic damage - Yes!

I reached my destination, Halcyon Hot Springs, after 14.5 hours on the road and about 550 miles - hey I was on technical mountain roads, not a freeway. I found my gas mileage took a 10-20% hit pulling the trailer hit so I was gassing up frequently. The Gen II FJR fuel indicator goes to "empty" yet there is 1.5 to 2.0 gallons left - I don't like that. A little reality please MommaHa.

The rain had stopped the skies were clearing, pitched my tent, had dinner and day one was complete.

More to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting. I am very interested in your comments on towing the trailer since I have just built a hitch for my FJR and will be towing for the first time tonight. I am not as brave, I am only going on a couple hundred mile trip for the first ride.

Good stuff, all the miles I have done up there I am right with you and re-enjoying every mile, 33 is a cool route and 6 is also. Looking forward to the rest of the story. Years ago on 6 I was being passed by natives driving pick-up trucks!

Great story so far. I like your pics on 20 while underway...I need to rig my camera on a lanyard so I can get shots like that. I've done the road from Vernon to Needles a few times. Fun stuff! But that's a really steep slope heading down to the cable ferry at Needles. I keep the bike in gear until I'm seated and ready to roll downhill. I'm glad your bike didn't take any damage!

Day Two

I am lucky person to be born and raised in the Pacific Northwest. I have led a good life riding motorcycles for about 47 years now. Part of this is riding includes the Hot Springs Circle loop in British Columbia. Consequently I have been to many Hot Springs. Halcyon Hot Springs is my favorite. At most Hot Springs you stand in large pool of hot water. At Halcyon the water moves counterclockwise around the island in the pool. Put water noodles under your ankles and arms, lay back and float for a couple of hours. It is very relaxing. It is the only place I know of where you can play bumper cars with your body and nobody care. Canadian's are very nice, polite and helpful. I really enjoy being in Canada.

pools1.jpg

Not many photos today. The weather was blue sky clear and it was about 75 degrees. I soaked in the pool after breakfast and in the late afternoon before dinner. The rest of the day was spent cleaning my dirty motorcycle in Nakups, stocking the cooler and reading a book. Nice day!

Great story so far. I like your pics on 20 while underway...I need to rig my camera on a lanyard so I can get shots like that. I've done the road from Vernon to Needles a few times. Fun stuff! But that's a really steep slope heading down to the cable ferry at Needles. I keep the bike in gear until I'm seated and ready to roll downhill. I'm glad your bike didn't take any damage!
Yeah it was a bone head maneuver for sure. Day one turned out to be a 14.5 hour day. I was tired. I should have spent the night in Vernon before heading to Nakusp. I am too stubborn for my own good sometimes.

Thanks for posting. I am very interested in your comments on towing the trailer since I have just built a hitch for my FJR and will be towing for the first time tonight. I am not as brave, I am only going on a couple hundred mile trip for the first ride.
Hello Heen. The trailer is a trade off of options.

Pros:

• Can bring stuff and I like that.
  • Tired of using hiking gear while camping.
  • The FJR is luggage challenged so this a good option..
  • Can bring my wife - maybe that will work out to be con???
    smile.png
Cons:

• Gas mileage is about 39 mph, down from from 42-47. This is a big deal. I am looking at ways to carry a couple of gallons of fuel.
  • Braking distance is increased..
  • Emergency maneuvering is reduced.
  • Need to pay more attention to corner entrance speed.
  • In general there is more risk - this can be mitigated by slowing down from my normal speed. I don't mind this.

Day Three

This was my campsite at Halcyon Hot Springs but now it was time to move on to Jasper.

IMG_3027%2B%2528800x600%2529.jpg

And my four person tent.

IMG_3029%2B%2528800x600%2529.jpg

As I was riding around in Canada I was comparing the landscape to Colorado. In Colorado there is much more range land and the time spent in the mountains can be short lived. In this part of Canada I was in the mountains all day long. Looking at a map the mountains tend to run north and south and the roads follow the same north and south direction. In Washington State the road go across the mountain so the time spent in the mountains is short too.

I was really enjoying my days in the mountains because life is a mountain not a beach. Such are the rambles we have while riding motorcycles.

The route on the blue sky day was up Hwy 33 go Revelstoke where the moto is "Get Stoked" to Hwy 1 east through Glacier National Park to Golden BC, over Rogers Pass, to Lake Louise and on the Hwy 93 aka the Icefields Parkway. Grand day of sight seeing and cleansing my work polluted mind.

Enough drivel from an old man. Here is the photo show:

IMG_3034%2B%2528800x294%2529.jpg

This is what was around the next turn. Dandelions!

IMG_3035%2B%2528800x585%2529.jpg

I like how the road drops away into the mountains in this photo.

IMG_3036%2B%2528800x528%2529.jpg

I pulled over to take this photo.

IMG_3042%2B%2528800x600%2529.jpg

Love these mountains!

IMG_3054%2B%2528800x599%2529.jpg

A still slightly frozen lake. I love travelling in May and early June.

IMG_3067%2B%2528800x600%2529.jpg

More please you say? Ok.

IMG_3068%2B%2528800x478%2529.jpg

A waterfall.

IMG_3080%2B%2528800x600%2529.jpg

A glacier is a waterfall of sorts but it is frozen water.

IMG_3090%2B%2528800x600%2529.jpg

Life is a mountain not a beach.

IMG_3094%2B%2528800x433%2529.jpg

More please? Ok.

IMG_3104%2B%2528800x498%2529.jpg

A bear. They are common up here.

IMG_3108%2B%2528429x317%2529.jpg

A grizzly bear.

IMG_3110%2B%2528800x673%2529.jpg

Day three is not done yet. I have some waterfall photos I haven't got to yet. Time to go out to the garage and work on the FJR.

Spectacular photos!! I love these kind of RR's. This is one of those rides of a lifetime, when you're not from those parts! Got to do it in '04 and look forward to going back someday.