'15 1300A coming to me on Monday! What do I need to know?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruinFJRguy

Reaction score
I had my '08 found on the forum for only a short time. Loved it, but had to let it go.

I couldn't stay away and I found a sweet deal on a '15. Anything anyone can tell me that I should know about the GenIII?

Grinning ear to ear over here.
coolsmiley03.png

You won't have to add electronic cruise control, but you might have to do like I did and break out the manual to figure out all the dashboard gizmo's. Congrats!

Take the time to learn about the "hidden" menu for the displays. You can customize your displays, and your heated grip settings in there. Some of us can fine tune our suspension settings as well...
rolleyes.gif

I haven't even seen this bike yet but am assured by the dealer it is fresh from the crate and flawless. The deal was made over the phone and I pick up up Monday.

Heated grips are standard equipment too, right?

If you need help zeroing your trip meter, just call on me. I know.
wink.png

Oh, and you'll like it.
LOL! I just saw the thread.
lol.gif

Duly noted. I shall reference it when the time comes.

I don't know if I knew you bought one. When did you go from looking at low mileage fly and rides to buying new?

Depending on preferences you may need a aftermarket seat and or windshield. I'd consider a Cox radiator guard. The 15 have good suspension so you covered there. I don't' know how the rear view mirrors are on the Gen III, but on my Gen II I installed the FZ1 mirrors cause I don't like doing the chicken wing thing.

Congrats on your new ride.

wink.png

Oh, and you'll like it.
lol.gif

I don't know if I knew you bought one. When did you go from looking at low mileage fly and rides to buying new?
It's a '14, so not quite new, but pretty damn new anyway. I abandoned the fly n' ride idea when I started looking at nearby used FJRs and added in the non motorcycle-related expenses of flying, traveling home, etc. compared to a simple local buy. California has some extra restrictions on bringing in a used out-of-state bike too. But I'm real happy with my pretty red FJR.
biggrinsmiley.gif

wink.png

Oh, and you'll like it.
lol.gif

It's a '14, so not quite new, but pretty damn new anyway. I abandoned the fly n' ride idea when I started looking at nearby used FJRs and added in the non motorcycle-related expenses of flying, traveling home, etc. compared to a simple local buy. California has some extra restrictions on bringing in a used out-of-state bike too. But I'm real happy with my pretty red FJR.
biggrinsmiley.gif
Outstanding! Congrats to you (assuming I didn't already)! Do you like the ES?

' ' 'Outstanding! Congrats to you (assuming I didn't already)! Do you like the ES?
Thanks. Funny thing is, ever since I got the '14 I've been so busy getting the '05 ready to sell I've hardly ridden at all, and that includes experimenting with the suspension. I don't see how having all that flexibility can be a bad thing, however. The bike is so sophisticated there's a LOT to learn and get used to. Not just the ES part, but the sport/touring selector and the traction control and the so very complicated dash readouts. But I plan to start getting deep into all of that right away. The '05 is on the market now, so I don't have to spend any more time de-farkling and prepping it. But I would kind of like to have somebody come over to the house real soon with a mitt full of cash.
wink.png

Oh, and congrats to you, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
' ' 'Outstanding! Congrats to you (assuming I didn't already)! Do you like the ES?
Thanks. Funny thing is, ever since I got the '14 I've been so busy getting the '05 ready to sell I've hardly ridden at all, and that includes experimenting with the suspension. I don't see how having all that flexibility can be a bad thing, however. The bike is so sophisticated there's a LOT to learn and get used to. Not just the ES part, but the sport/touring selector and the traction control and the so very complicated dash readouts. But I plan to start getting deep into all of that right away. The '05 is on the market now, so I don't have to spend any more time de-farkling and prepping it. But I would kind of like to have somebody come over to the house real soon with a mitt full of cash.
wink.png

Oh, and congrats to you, too.
Thank you. I should be in pretty good shape figuring out the menus; I've had the FJ-09 for a full year and it seems much of the display is the same. I'm a little unsure still how I feel about letting go of the FJ-09. It IS a fun bike. I loved it at the beginning. The things that bugged me about it a little bit now bug me a lot. My experiment on the '08 FJR I bought recently and the subsequent sense of loss after I let it go prompted me to jump on this deal.

Last edited by a moderator: