My Gen. One Era May Have Come To an End

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I had decided to ride my last 10/10ths (10k in 10 days) in June and then convert my '05 (Royal Blue) to a local riding bike and bring

up the on deck '08 FJR for long distance riding over the course of winter. The June ride would have been the '05's 10th 10/10ths and more

importantly, my last one. I wanted to roll 300k by the end of the year. On the return from my last ride I noticed oil dripping on to the header/exhaust

and smoking. After further investigation, I do not believe what I THINK I see. Now comes the time for a level head to decide what to do.

I need to filter out my attachment and personal "Feelings" about this bike and make a level-headed decision. I am itching for a Gen 3 and to

convert the '08 for my LD bike. Unless the fix is easy and painless ($), This is truly an end of a wonderful era.

"Royal Blue" sitting with 262k (9) 10/10ths and 2 IBRs

P5140431_zpszzqf7xqu.jpg

I would appreciate any advice or input. Right now I do not have a manual and could really use a photo posted on this thread of the underside

of an '05 for comparison purposes, because what I think I am seeing is pretty bizarre and I do not want to jump to conclusions.

Thanks

-Tony

By the looks of it, could the drip be coming from the transmission/final drive to drive shaft area? Any unusual gear or drive train grumbling?

Oh, I should have included that the bike had been moved and returned to approximate area in garage. The leaking is forward from where it appears in the pictures.

I will give a hint to what I think I see: The leaking seems to be only during operation and 10 minutes after shut down. My observations is so bizarre that I need a

picture of a normal underside engine and perhaps the diagram pertaining to engine mounts. The engine runs solid and with exception of the leaking, there is nothing

that I have noticed that indicates a problem.

Drive shaft seal would be my guess.
Dave
That was my first thought - that blew out 2 years ago at CFO and I had to fly home from the event. The drippings seem to be multiple leaks-

OK I will say it… caused by an engine shift from broken mount (s)

Is this even possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Drive shaft seal would be my guess.
Dave
Scratch that guess then, If you have a leak down on the headers then most likely one of two issues. Valve cover gasket or Head gasket. If the engine is running fine I don't think it is cracked head issue. Any excess smoke coming out the exhaust?

Dave

Any excess smoke coming out the exhaust?

Dave
None what-so-ever. I am currently selling one bike (The Dakar) and trying to get ready for a 15k ride in 3 weeks, so most likely the '05 will be sitting while

I am busy with other bikes. I really wanted to ride the '05 in June, but the "Fix" doesn't seem to be quick and easy.

Oh I do long for retirement…

Is there any chance at all just coming from one of the new oil filters that don't seal correctly? And when it gets warm at least just a bit? I really don't think you have broken engine mounts unless you've been motocrossing that fjr

I was also going to ask about the oil filter. After all, that's the cheapest thing to check and fix. Has the filter been changed recently?

I had an oil leak on a car that turned out to be an improperly installed filter by the oil change guy.

Is there any chance at all just coming from one of the new oil filters that don't seal correctly? And when it gets warm at least just a bit? I really don't think you have broken engine mounts unless you've been motocrossing that fjr
I blew out my Penske last fall on a ride. I have broken subframe and mirror mounts on at least 5 occasions and this bike has done its share of "Jumps"

and dirt and….well places it is not built for. Downtown New Orleans can be a bitch when in a hurry.
weirdsmiley.gif

… I have got 8k on the filter. When I have time, I will wipe the underside clean and pin point the leak.

… The oil filter - wouldn't that be sweet!

… The oil filter - wouldn't that be sweet!
It was for me. Old car, leaking oil. I took it in for an oil change and the guy showed me and I was like "Yea yea." He cleaned up the underside so I could see where it was leaking when it did and then he did the rest of the oil change. I checked that thing weekly after that and no sign of oil and I never had to top it off again. Here's hoping.

OK… Got some pics of the underside which might give some clarity…

Obviously the filter is a ruled out possibility, as it is far forward from leaking area: Fire away

Side Pic of general area in question:

Bracing/support hanging The center stand is bolted to other end (?)

Picture from opposite side

Pic with above area shown

Pic from opposite side showing opposite support (?) With bolt

Above the area

Another above area pic

Side shot with support showing saturated area

I've seen a middle gear output shaft leak like that. We were on a ride to Plymouth Rock when half way there the seal started leaking so bad that it was almost impossible to keep sufficient oil in the engine and the rear tire was well oiled.
uhoh.gif
I have seen one or two other output shaft seals with a leak like that posted here.

IIRC, the seal is easy to see but may require dropping the engine to access. The engine doesn't have to be removed from the frame but does need to be dropped. Hope someone comes along and tells me I'm wrong
smile.png

I've seen a middle gear output shaft leak like that. We were on a ride to Plymouth Rock when half way there the seal started leaking so bad that it was almost impossible to keep sufficient oil in the engine and the rear tire was well oiled.
uhoh.gif
I have seen one or two other output shaft seals with a leak like that posted here.
IIRC, the seal is easy to see but may require dropping the engine to access. The engine doesn't have to be removed from the frame but does need to be dropped. Hope someone comes along and tells me I'm wrong
smile.png
The main seal from the shaft went in Wisconsin, and I lost 2 plus quarts in less than 2 minutes when I shut the bike down. That leak was easy to spot and (You are correct)

to replace the seal/gasket required dropping the engine to give access to the 4th bolt. 3 bolts posed no problem, but the 4th bolt
upset.gif

I need to do a complete clean up of the area and do a start up to pin point the leak. Oil is blown and spread to the whole lower area.

The bolt that is missing (?) Is that a center stand support? Header support? It appears to be lower than the other side.

Any input ?

"The bolt that is missing (?) Is that a center stand support? Header support? It appears to be lower than the other side.

Any input ?"

The missing bolt is an exhaust header support. It just clamps the exhaust to the centre stand, no big deal.

I find it interesting that there is oil at the end of the 'breather' hose. No idea where it might be coming from but............

"The bolt that is missing (?) Is that a center stand support? Header support? It appears to be lower than the other side.Any input ?"

The missing bolt is an exhaust header support. It just clamps the exhaust to the centre stand, no big deal.

I find it interesting that there is oil at the end of the 'breather' hose. No idea where it might be coming from but............
Thanks for the info on the bolt. The breather hose most likely caught oil blown off the dripping header pipe while at 70 MPH. (?)

Tony, Do you have a pressure cleaner? I'd power douche the hell out of that whole area after saturating everything with engine degreaser. What we do on airplanes when we have that situation is pour some fluorescent penetrant fluid into the oil filler. Then when it starts leaking again we hit the area with an ultraviolet black light and the fluorescent green will slap you in the nads and you can trace it to its origin. It works well. Let me know if you wanna do that because I'd have to go to the hangar and get some. Good luck!