Is FJR a good commuter?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuicker

Reaction score
Ok fellas, is it too heavy to be a good commuter? It's not JUST good for long trips is it?

My commute is about 90 miles, mainly in traffic, but at time open 80mph tollways followed by bumpy backroads. I've always wanted an FJR, and I am considering picking up a 2016 model... but the lighter adventure bikes (IE BMW R1200GS, BMW S1000XR, Ducati Multistrada, KTM Super Adventure 1290) all seem to be popular these days and offer a whole heap of options with good wind protection.

And I know, 'whatever fits you best after you ride them all...' I know this.. but I wanted actual FJR owners to chime in on it's commuting prowess please.

The FJR would work well.

I hate riding through Dallas.

I would ride my Tenere over the FJR if I had to do it every day. It would be better on bumpy backroads too.

I sit higher to see better and just feel safer on it while avoiding them crazy Texicans...
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I commuted daily on mine before retiring. Mostly crowded freeway but I never felt the FJR was heavy or too big to maneuver through traffic when required. Get the suspension set up to suit you and the FJR makes a great commuter.

100 miles round trip commute on my FJR in Dallas. I have the old AE model which excels at commuting but the clutch lever models will do well too. It carries my crap and scoots around town just fine. It works well for Dallas type commuting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I commute daily to all the airports in the state even in the rain. All my equipment is small enough to fit in the bags. Love this bike. :)

I don't know why it wouldn't be a good commuter. With the bags it'd be handier than some of the small bikes. And you've got a place to lock your gear during the day if it's more convenient than carrying it in.

I commuted on one for the past 12 years here in Atlanta, 32 miles each way and included lots of wonderful time sitting in traffic. Started a new job this past Oct and now just have to walk upstairs each day. Had no issues with using the FJR daily and preferred riding vs burning lots of gas in my full sized truck. My opinion would be a solid YES.

My commute is 28 miles each way and I've been doing it since 1995 (don't want to calculate how many years that equals
mda.gif
).

I started out on a CBR600 when I was young and flexible. Converted to an FZ1 in 2009, then last year switched to a Ninja1000 when I totaled the fizzer. Have I used my FJR for the trip during that time? Yes, a few times. While its OK for the task, I don't particularly like its weight and during summer, the heat it puts off. I lane split for most of the trip each way, and dipping through vehicles at low speed is not really its forte. I really like the narrower and lighter bikes for this type of riding.

Now if I had to pick 1 bike for commuting as well as my other more fun-filled riding, I would seriously be looking at the S1000XR. Its got all the goodies for longer travel (heated grips, cruise, tons of power, neutral seating position), its got a ripping engine, traction control and so on. The only potential limiter it seems to me is the somewhat restricted range - according to reports I've read maybe 160-180 miles if you're behaving. That's not great for a commuter or when travelling across open stretches of Nevada and Idaho....

Honestly, the FJR would not be my pick if it was the only bike I could have in the stable.

Good luck with the choice
punk.gif

Yea, no splitting here unfortunately. It does rock on the TexPress where if you are doing 90mph you are going to be passed.
biggrin.png

25 miles each way, 20 highway, 5 city. Fast and easy in the morning, pretty slow and busy in the afternoon. I find the weight to be completely not disturbing what unfortunately cannot be said about the speeds I sometimes find myself at all of the sudden.

My commute is 32 KM (20 miles in American) each way and I do it year round. The bike may have substantial weight, but it is so well balanced you don't notice it. And once your moving it's like the bikes not even there..Love It

Been commuting 27 miles ea. way, 8 months out of the year for the past 10+ years. I find being a heavier bike that it has it's advantages as a daily ride particularly on the rainy days. It feels more sure footed. I would also think, and probably wrongly, much lighter bikes would be less forgiving on rough roads.