A quick ride to the Ramble

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extrememarine

Reaction score
My ride to the SE Ohio Ramble - May 2016

Work shortened my ride plans - I've fallen into this vicious cycle; do things well, manager takes note, moves large project from peer to me because peer is an idiot. I was not able to depart LZ Detroit until noon on Thursday. I needed some serious two wheel therapy - to light the afterburner and burn it until it melted away the past 3 weeks. I left the house with no plans, no reservations until Friday night in Marietta.

I left the house at 12:05 Thursday afternoon. Sometimes, the open road is exactly what is needed to clear the mind, nourish the soul. 950 miles later I walked into a hotel. Friday morning, we danced across some familiar twisty bits and I was feeling pretty darn good.

I punched in Marietta on the Zumo and it reported that we were just under 500 miles from LZ Marietta. It was 3pm. Last fuel stop was around 1030p, a quick text, fuel and we were screaming north again. I rolled in right around Midnight. The parking log was full of motorcycles, and as I parked, there was FJRFarrier to make sure I arrived safely.

I slept well Friday night - the mental flush complete after about 1500 miles of what only the FJR can provide...

Photo credit: FJRFarrier

13262258_10153626974147844_791174759_o_zps08pgl5kv.jpg

Saturday presented its gloomy self with overcast skies and incoming showers. Most rolled over and went back to sleep. I thought I could get east and south ahead of it. FJRFarrier took the bait and we rolled south on I-77 to WV-50 hoping to get to WV16 south ahead of the rain. It beat us there, so we found shelter, wi-fi, and a hardy breakfast at the Log Cabin Grill in Ellenboro, WV.

First stop – covered bridge on OH26

IMG_2244_zpsqlechbc0.jpg

IMG_2236_zpsntqyajqg.jpg

As the weather passed, we headed north on WV16 towards Ohio. Once we crossed back into Ohio, we zig-zagged between OH 7 and OH 26 on all the tasty bits as far north as Beallsville. We turned south and followed OH-26 back to Marietta. We had stopped for a quick break when 3 FJR’s cruised past. We gave chase and caught the Canadian Polar Express. We followed them rest of the way into town.

Lots of bench racing Saturday night as the cool (COLD) weather kept everyone inside the hotel lobby for the most part. It was great catching up and shooting the breeze. Awesome folks!! Hats off to the hotel staff for accommodating and tolerating ruckus.

Sunday morning was dry but cool again. We ventured north and slightly east, following 821 and stumbled across a few hidden treasures (that I will not share here…). We picked up OH-78 in Caldwell and followed that all the way to Nelsonville. What a great road!! We worked our way north enjoying the roads as they straighten and leveled off in front of us. We stopped at Mid Ohio and were treated to a few minutes of watching a Porsche club finishing their trackday. Wow!! Grabbed fuel and food in Findlay and then made the 2 hour dash home through Detroit.

I have GoPro footage to wade through – I’ll see if I can get something interesting compiled within the next week or so…

I rolled into the garage and shut down the FJR 3 ½ days and 2300ish miles after leaving Thursday afternoon. Exhausted, but refreshed and refocused.

Very nice Wayne, glad you didn't bump into those other a holes on FJR's.
innocent.gif

Colorado is waiting you you.

Last edited by a moderator:
"FJRfarrier took the bait". You like that phrase, don't you? Smh.

And you make it sound like it was your idea to leave in the rain on Saturday morning. When I distinctly remember you sitting there sipping coffee (in your lounge wear if I'm not mistaken) while I danced around and finally persuaded you to leave. Lol.

Had a great time! Thanks for leading. And thanks for following. Yes, folks, the Marine will give up some control and will follow and behave!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It fits...At least we did not have to drag your FJR out of the sand this time...

"FJRfarrier took the bait". You like that phrase, don't you? Smh.

I was sipping coffee and socializing because I was already packed and ready to go...

And you make it sound like it was your idea to leave in the rain on Saturday morning. When I distinctly remember you sitting there sipping coffee (in your lounge wear if I'm not mistaken) while I danced around and finally persuaded you to leave. Lol.
Thankfully you were able to find the edit feature and fix the "m" in "Marine"... Behave?? Next time I'll make sure the GoPro is able to catch the speedo while following you...

Had a great time! Thanks for leading. And thanks for following. Yes, folks, the Marine will give up some control and will follow and behave!!!
It was a very needed session of two wheel therapy - my co-workers thank you for that, I'm sure. Ms Farrier is indeed one smooth and proficient FJR pilot!!

Latest posts