Triple Tree Installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stose85

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm trying to install a set of TouraTech risers on the FJR. I'm on the step where I need to re-install the triple tree but I can't get it to fit. I've tried tapping it with a hammer, having someone hold onto on side of it while I push down on the other and searched the forum and google for some help. The towel is not in the way of it fitting. Any tips would be much appreciated!

13220947_1336465036379943_526363340185502962_n.jpg

The forks tend to get tweaked just a bit, so try removing the towel and slipping your fingers under the front/leading edge of the gas tank just below the triple tree, just like you would do if you were going to lift the tank up. Pull upward on the tank (bike should be on centerstand) which will remove a little bit of weight off the front wheel. This will allow the forks to move a bit and you should be able to get them lined back up with the triple tree. If that doesn't work, you may need to jack the front end up enough to take some weight off the front wheel. If your help is still around, they can also put downward pressure on the rear luggage rack to accomplish the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Front wheel and axle are attached. I put it on the center stand and that seemed to help get it closer. Still working on it.

The forks tend to get tweaked just a bit, so try removing the towel and slipping your fingers under the front/leading edge of the gas tank just below the triple tree, just like you would do if you were going to lift the tank up. Pull upward on the tank (bike should be on centerstand) which will remove a little bit of weight off the front wheel. This will allow the forks to move a bit and you should be able to get them lined back up with the triple tree. If that doesn't work, you may need to jack the front end up enough to take some weight off the front wheel. If your help is still around, they can also put downward pressure on the rear luggage rack to accomplish the same thing.
Tiger pulling up on the tank gave me that little extra room I needed. You're a life saver. Thank you guys!

With the bike up on the center stand, you need to jack the bike up (floor jack with a board under the headers works well) and take most of the weight off the front forks. The weight of the bike is being supported by the lower triple clamp and is flexing the forks in the clamps

Last edited by a moderator:
I will definitely remember that for next time. It took me a while to find a comfortable riding position with the risers installed. I had to move my hands all the way to the inside of the grips instead of outside like they were with the stock setup. I guess that would be the difference in the height. Quite a bit of relief in the arms and shoulders which should help on those extended trips. It took several hours more to install than I had anticipated, but I chalk these experiences up to learning how the bike operates and those quirks that you guys help to point out.

From what I read about the Touratech risers, they raise the bars and move them back some, but also rotate them outward. That was what I did with my adjustable angled HeliBars as I find the outward rotation helped me comfort wise. That may be why you now hold the grips inboard more, because the bars are actually wider.

From what I read about the Touratech risers, they raise the bars and move them back some, but also rotate them outward. That was what I did with my adjustable angled HeliBars as I find the outward rotation helped me comfort wise. That may be why you now hold the grips inboard more, because the bars are actually wider.
I bet you are correct. That's why I was initially very uncomfortable. I like the inward rotation but was looking for a just a little bit more height. At least on the inner part of the bars I get the best of both worlds.

If those don't work out for you, there are many different manufacturers of GenMar clones, which are a direct spacer with no bar angle rotation. They install pretty much the same way that your TT spacers did. I have a set of those first, but was not comfortable with the bar angle. You could probably sell these for almost what you paid for them here on the forum.