Oil Light Stays on - 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YamaDude

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything on this with a search...

When I bought this '06 a few years it has this little issue, which has continued. Purchased at 40K, now 56K.

Issue: Once out of about 5 first take-offs of the day, the oil light comes on after 1/4 mile, then goes out a mile later. Does not happen when engine warm. This happens despite oil level being appropriate, and happens even after an oil change. The incline of my driveway is VERY steep, if that perhaps matters. However, the PO did not have a steep drive, and he reported the issue.

Any ideas?

Good news #1, the light is an oil LEVEL sensor, not oil pressure. As long as the oil level is good the light is just an annoyance. Good news #2, you know that the oil level switch, wiring and Meter Assembly are all good, the light is just an annoyance.

It seems like the early Gen II had issues with the oil light coming even when the oil level was good. It almost certainly has to be the oil level sensor. Since the sensor is just an ON/OFF switch there is no variable sensor to be out of whack. Replace the sensor, I'm sure there is a revised part available and no matter if you used the old sensor P/N you would get the newer revised switch.

Edit: All years FJRs have the same P/N oil level sensor, dunno if it's an updated P/N or if it has always been the same. It's spendy at ~$115!

Last edited by a moderator:
With the bike on the center stand and with the engine cold, where do you have the oil level within the window? If you have it in the lower half of the window, you might get a more frequent low oil indication although there is no problem (level, not pressure is indicated). As Mr. Beam suggests, there is a possibility that a switch replacement could cure it but I wouldn't bother unless you can't stand the indicator. Do not overfill the oil but you can safely go to the top of the window (center stand and cold engine).

Note: When oil was not filled to the top, I have seen occasional blips of the indicator on hard acceleration with my 2007.

Occasional blips can be expected. A quote from my Owner's Manual:

TIPEven if the oil level is sufficient, the warning light may flicker when riding on a slope or during sudden acceleration or deceleration, but this is not a malfunction.
Can't explain the behaviour, but maybe there's a clue in your steep drive.
Whatever, a piece of tape stuck over the light will fix the problem. Whoops, it's not Friday.

It's interesting (at least to me) that my Gen I FJR never, ever had the oil light even just flicker on. It was ridden on some extreme slopes such as Mt Washington and Hurricane Mountain Road and run on the track & drag strip and never flickered.

It's interesting (at least to me) that my Gen I FJR never, ever had the oil light even just flicker on. It was ridden on some extreme slopes such as Mt Washington and Hurricane Mountain Road and run on the track & drag strip and never flickered.
Maybe it did, but maybe you weren't looking down at your dash, you were probably admiring the view, looking out for gravel or looking down the track.

I don't always notice my turn repeaters when I'm not looking, and I know I'm often surprised at the figures on my speedometer when I do occasionally look down ;) .

Maybe it did, but maybe you weren't looking down at your dash, you were probably admiring the view, looking out for gravel or looking down the track.

I don't always notice my turn repeaters when I'm not looking, and I know I'm often surprised at the figures on my speedometer when I do occasionally look down
wink.png
My speedo does the same thing. If I don't keep a really close eye on it the speed increases. I think it has something to do with my right wrist.
smilingsmiley.gif

Thanks for the responses, guys, they were helpful.

>> For those who felt the need to educate me to the purpose of the light, notice in my initial post that I made it clear that I knew its purpose.

RossKeane: I keep the level at maximum, which maximizes oil cooling

You guys might enjoy this anecdote from the PO: He told me, straight-faced, that when the light came on for him, he would head home and "put just a little bit of oil in it, which turned off the light." Amazing how short-sighted a person could think, someone who was a car mechanic by occupation.

I think I'll just ignore the light, as I have been.

I assume that you are checking the oil level in the sight glass with the bike on the centerstand and on a level surface.

Anyway, if the oil level is in the glass (under the above conditions), there is nothing to worry about. I have gotten to the point where I change oil, go for a short ride and recheck level. I might go to the next oil change before it gets checked again! At 150,000 miles, it doesn't burn a significant amount of oil between 5,000 mile oil changes.

I assume that you are checking the oil level in the sight glass with the bike on the centerstand and on a level surface.
Anyway, if the oil level is in the glass (under the above conditions), there is nothing to worry about. I have gotten to the point where I change oil, go for a short ride and recheck level. I might go to the next oil change before it gets checked again! At 150,000 miles, it doesn't burn a significant amount of oil between 5,000 mile oil changes.
I check the oil level the same way you do, after the short ride, and on the center stand. Very cool to hear that you are not burning oil after 150K ! This supports my intent to keep my '06 for similar longevity. I do thorough maintenance (myself), by the book.

Mine does the same thing, also an 06. Not strong acceleration, no slopes.. just on one of the first starts of the day and not every day. If it doesnt go out a mile or so later, turning the bike off and restarting does the trick. That being said... my neutral light also came half on 'glow' despite being in gear once today.. beginning to suspect electrical gremlins and will be opening up the bike and checking cleanliness of connections. Would love to hear if you find the cause of yours!

Mine does the same thing, also an 06. Not strong acceleration, no slopes.. just on one of the first starts of the day and not every day. If it doesnt go out a mile or so later, turning the bike off and restarting does the trick. That being said... my neutral light also came half on 'glow' despite being in gear once today.. beginning to suspect electrical gremlins and will be opening up the bike and checking cleanliness of connections. Would love to hear if you find the cause of yours!
When my bike was new, I had problems with the neutral light (not coming on). In my case, there was a problem with the gear indicator switch (left side of engine). This is a possibility although there might be a related grounding issue (as per mcatrophy) - look for more electrical oddities. If grounds are bad, other stuff will show up. It may be that the gear indicator switch may need to be removed and the contact pads cleaned up. Do the gears always indicate properly on the display?

Fast forward a couple of years to my "new" 2011 FJR. 36,000 miles when I got it in May, 44,000 now. With my '07, I would get the oil light coming on momentarily under hard acceleration (very rarely). With the 2011, it happens fairly frequently but almost always when starting off in the morning. A moderate hill and 50 mph highway a couple of minutes from my driveway. Light comes on and stays on for a minute or two - even when no longer accelerating or going up hill. Oil completely filled to the upper mark. Rotella T6 5W40 so shouldn't have thick, cold oil issues. Doesn't usually come on once fully warmed up. I guess if it decided to stay on ALL the time, I might elect to replace the oil level gauge assembly for $106 (Partzilla). As mentioned above, it indicates a low oil LEVEL, not pressure. If you KNOW there is enough oil then it isn't anything to worry about, especially if the light goes out. I wouldn't cover up the light because I still want the indication in case of a catastrophic oil loss - drain plug or holed oil pan!

I guess not all bikes (or sensors) react equally.

Two different bikes doing the same thing. ??? Strange, very strange. Can't remember anyone else having this issue evah!

Good luck,

Dave

The oil light came on once on my 07 when it was fairly new. I immediately panicked (thinking low oil pressure), killed the engine and pulled over. Oil level was toward the low mark but still within serviceable limits so I rode home. Research revealed that the light is a LEVEL light and not a PRESSURE light, which is a relief.

I can't remember when this occurred in relation to my scary spider incidents and I'm not even sure if this circuit can be affected by a bad spider ground. I do know that I've had the bike go down to the low mark since then (because it's using a little oil now with over 130,000 miles on it) and no light came on, so nothing conclusive to make of this.