Givi SR357 Fit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_Flyer

Reaction score
Mounted my Givi top case today using the recommended SR357 mount. Could not get the three rear screws to fit. I'd installed the two front screws quite loose, but the rear ones would not go. Undid the front completely and was able to install the rear screws finger tight, but the front of the mount was up by just over 1/4". The instructions did not show any shims to go under the mount at the front. Was able to spring the front down by leaning on it and tightened up the screws but it bothers me that the mount did not fit better.

Have any of you had this problem?

Murray

Yep. Just like mine. You did the same thing as me and it is not a problem. 3 years and been very happy with it.

Don't know why it is like that but they seem to all be similar and never changed.

Mine didn't have quite that much gap. Instead of just bolting it down I split the difference before tightening down.

YMMV

--G

Yep, just like mine. Except I could get mine to bolt down front or rear but not both. A little drilling to open up the holes a bit, a couple washers distributed here & there, and longer bolts did the trick for me.

I used a rubber hose washer to span the gap and tightened down about 1/3 of the original gap.
+1^
tonguesmiley.gif
Almost like they were designed for this.

i made a custom spacer for the rear hole and bought longer bolts for all three holes as there wasn't much thread engagement with the bolts they shipped with the kit.

I emailed Givi with both pictures and a list of parts I made/used.

I have never heard squat from them.

Issues like this part not fitting are par for the course. If I have had a issue with a motorcycle part, car part or truck not fitting properly, I like to call the company and share my issue. Without telling them there is an issue, they can not correct the problem. Usually I get the standard response, "sir, we have sold alot of those parts and we have had no issues". My response is, "Well you have a problem with my part."

Givi would more than likely say that there are production differences in the FJR and they can not control that. Oh well, we will just have to make our parts fit or do without.

Okay, I couldn't take it any more! The idea of the mount being stressed like that was engineering heartburn. I found some PVC cold water pipe that was the correct outer diameter and made up some spacers for the rear that would lower the front cross member to be in contact with the bike frame. In the process, I discovered the frame also had a twist to it!

The stock rear spacers are 1.233" and 0.823", approximately. The spacers I ended up with were front-left 1.015", front right 1.045" and rear 0.702". There is just less than a paper thickness at the front between the 357 mount and the bike frame. With the modified spacers, the case is level front-to-rear and side-to-side, as near as I can tell with a short level on the floor of the case. I'll use the plastic spacers for now, but will have a local shop make up aluminum spacers. I really miss having access to lathe and mill.
upset.gif

My father said "A job worth doing is a job worth doing to excess."

Murray

Last edited by a moderator:
When I mounted mine, I noticed, as most here have, that there was a gap under the rear most mounting tab on the rack where it mates to the Givi supplied spacer. I chose to shim that gap with a couple SS washers as I wanted no gap at the front of the rack. As we know the rear subframe is prone to cracking of the FJR and I wanted a good solid connection to the Givi rack at the two front and two middle bolts.

I put a little blue Loctite on the rack bolts prior to assembly.

HI folks. Here's a recap of how I installed the Givi SR357 this past week on my '14 ES.

I stole a lot of good ideas from the kind folks who posted previously and somewhat adapted.

As most know, there are 5 bolts that attach the SR357 to our FJR subframes.

Two front ones under the passenger seat and 3 in a triangle pattern back at the tail.

I replaced all 5 Givi supplied allen bolts with longer stainless steel allen bolts so they fully engage all of the available threads in our subframes.

Sizes noted below, all are 1.25 pitch.

-for the two points under the seat I replaced Givi part #2 M8x20's on the diagram with M8x30mm bolts.

-there was a slight gap present when I later got all five mounting points square and evenly supporting the SR357.

-so I slipped two per side ss M8 fender washers (all metal, no rubber) between the FJR subframe and the SR357.

-the slightly wider fender washer spreads the load nicely. That took care of the two points under the seat.

-for the three tail section bolts I replaced Givi diagram parts #3 two M8x45mm and part #4 one M8x35mm

with three M8x50mm ss allen bolts.

-there was still a slight gap above the rear bushing of the rear most bolt, however, it was not as large as

I've seen in most pics. I believe the washers under the passenger seat bolts help square things and

keep the SR357 from trying to sort of rock forward.

-regardless, still had the small gap as most commented on, so slipped in a M8 fender washer to fill the gap.

Now the rack sits nice and square at all five mounting points. I was able to thread all five bolts pretty much the whole way in by hand. That's how nice things lined up! Tightened down by feel to "good 'n tight". Solid mount, happy me
smile.png

Hope this summary helps others re: go buy the bolts, washers etc then start...... It is a great product once installed.