Is an FJR right for me?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoopster3

Reaction score
Here's a little history on my riding experience before I get into my dilemma.

2003 Buell Blast

1993 Honda Goldwing- pre child so my wife rode with me

2004 Honda CBR F4i

2006 HD Sportster 1200

2003 Kawasaki 636

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Current bike: 2014 HD Road King

My current problem is that I can't find that "one" elusive bike that captures everything I want. I definitely want a more relaxed seating position, but would like sport bike handling and acceleration while still being able to have storage and go longer distances. My Road King fits many of those but is still missing quite a few. My other concern is that I'm 5'9 with a 30" inseam and am worried I won't be able to get my tiptoes down on an FJR, let alone back it up.

Currently I can get about half of each foot on the ground and it's manageable on the Road King, but I see the FJR seat height adds an additional 3" in height. I'm also worried about wind protection on longer rides. Right now I would rate my Harley at below average as I get a lot of updraft, even with some modifications.

Most of my riding is done in short bursts with occasional 200 mile trips. However I am planning on doing the Saddle Sore 1000, which is 1000 miles in less than 24 hours, in the near future. I only ride solo but am looking at the ES and not the A model of the 2016's FJRs, due to the additional features.

Sorry for such a long post but I want do to get that info out there to help others provide advice. I realize only I can spend my money but am more than willing to listen. I also understand this is a FJR forum and not a HD forum. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

With a 30" inseam, the FJR might be a bit of a challenge. You can get a custom seat, lower the forks in the triple tree and get lowering dogbones for the rear suspension so you might be able to manage OK. This will, of course, reduce cornering clearance. The sidestand would have to be modified and you won't be able to use the centerstand. The FJR is a long distance mile eater with tons of power and handling that compares well to many sport bikes (you are still dealing with a 660+ lb motorcycle). It does not have the laid back comfort of the cruiser or even the Goldwing but long-term comfort is better in my opinion. There is no substitute for trying one. Hope it works out for you.

This is what I needed to hear. Thank you both for the responses. I guess my height is really limiting my choices and the Road King might be my best bet...

Geez, I'm so disappointed guess I better sell the FJR. NOT!

30" inseam and I'm on my second FJR. 72,000+ on the 06, 65,000 and counting on the 08. Honest just didn't know my inseam was to short to ride the bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
30" inseam and never considered not having one. I have never flat footed a motorcycle ever. On the balls of my feet with this one. It will check off most of your boxes...

29" inseam and went to a Yamaha 1900 Stratoliner from my FJR, biggest regret ever. Sold the Stratloiner after one summer and back to the FJR. you'll forget about the inseam issue while in the seat, and where you stated you only ride solo, and no passenger you only worry about yourself. The weight issue disappears out of the parking lot. Do yourself a favour and at least test ride one.

The dealer that I would work with is a Harley and Yamaha dealer. I would say 85% of the motorcycles they have in stock are HD's. They only have 1 FJR and it's a 2014 and has never been titled. The problem with this they don't let you test ride a new model. I guess I could go sit on it but wouldn't be able to ride it. I would be looking and ordering a 2016 if I went this route.

It's good to hear that some others with a 30" inseam are riding these. Are you guys able to back it up while still on the bike? Or do you hop off and move it around?

Have you even thrown a leg over an FJR yet? I'm the same size as you and even running a Penske shock with additional ride-height added, I can still get the balls of both feet on the ground.

FJR checks all my boxes...and from your description, will take care of many, many of yours too. An aftermarket windshield will satisfy any air management / protection from the elements for you. The bike will also run a SS1K pretty easily - there's been a few of those [and more] completed by FJR's!
coolsmiley02.gif

YMMV

--G

<snip> It's good to hear that some others with a 30" inseam are riding these. Are you guys able to back it up while still on the bike? Or do you hop off and move it around?
Backing up - sure on level ground. Plan your parking spots and whenever possible park uphill and use gravity to your advantage.

Good luck!

--G

Have you even thrown a leg over an FJR yet? I'm the same size as you and even running a Penske shock with additional ride-height added, I can still get the balls of both feet on the ground.
FJR checks all my boxes...and from your description, will take care of many, many of yours too. An aftermarket windshield will satisfy any air management / protection from the elements for you. The bike will also run a SS1K pretty easily - there's been a few of those [and more] completed by FJR's! :coolsmiley02:

YMMV

--G
I haven't thrown a leg over yet. Now that I think of it the Ninja 1000 I had had a seat height a little taller than the FJR and I don't remember problems with that. I just remember leaning on one foot at stops. Moving it around the garage was more easily done while off the bike. I will definitely sit on one before I decide, but living in Iowa my choices of dealers that let you demo a new bike is non-existent, so I most likely won't be able to ride one before I would decide to purchase.

It's good to hear that some others with a 30" inseam are riding these. Are you guys able to back it up while still on the bike? Or do you hop off and move it around?
Backing up - sure on level ground. Plan your parking spots and whenever possible park uphill and use gravity to your advantage.

Good luck!

--G
Planning my parking spots is always on my mind so that wouldn't be new. The FJR is quite a bit lighter than my Road King as well....I think by almost 200 pounds.

I have a 30" inseam and can easily flat-foot the FJR. I had no issue moving it around, although it's heavier than my current bikes (FZ1)

30" here, and no issues flat-footing. Dunno what these other guys are smoking.

What the Road King is missing is performance, handling, braking, turning, smoothness, power, lean angle, and light weight. OK, the FJR is not "lightweight," but next to the Road King it is!!! I guess it has storage going for it. Can't think of anything else.

FJR checks all my boxes...and from your description, will take care of many, many of yours too. An aftermarket windshield will satisfy any air management / protection from the elements for you. The bike will also run a SS1K pretty easily - there's been a few of those [and more] completed by FJR's!
coolsmiley02.gif

YMMV

--G
I haven't thrown a leg over yet. Now that I think of it the Ninja 1000 I had had a seat height a little taller than the FJR and I don't remember problems with that. I just remember leaning on one foot at stops. Moving it around the garage was more easily done while off the bike. I will definitely sit on one before I decide, but living in Iowa my choices of dealers that let you demo a new bike is non-existent, so I most likely won't be able to ride one before I would decide to purchase.
FJR's are nice but the ST1300 won the last IBR. Lots of good used ones out there.

It's possible for people with shorter inseams to find a way to be comfortable on a FJR. Consider the FJR rider on the left of this picture getting ready to saddle up.

_MG_5057a_resize.jpg