2008 FJR1300A - What is this plug?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhatAir4Me

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Went to tech day in Auburn and drove home in heavy rain, at the OR WA border I started the bike after getting gas and it stumbled and died, then would run roughly unless high RPM for the rest of the day and although I have not ridden it since yet subsequent garage starts and after I finally pulled it out to wash it this weekend show it still has the stumble, almost like running on three cylinders.

Blocked PAIR at tech day, yes I put the plug on the airbox. I plan on pulling the tank to check all connectors.

Changed plugs - the last plug (iridium) I did not remove the resistor and as I went to install it it dropped into the hole and I foolishly pulled it out removed the resistor and did not check the gap before reinstalling it. Could a tight gap cause a misfire/stumble?

Did a TBS - again going to pull the tank and make sure I got all the plugs back on. I was waiting for a new air filter that came today to get in there.

I don't recall unhooking this connector, the pic is looking down from left side of the tank, the two plugs come out just under the glove compartment area. --> https://www.flickr.com/gp/65489994@N04/63gf65

Thanks,

JP

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too. But it's probably not important.

rolleyes.gif
uhuh.gif

I have the same "empty" plugs. I think they are there for optional heated grips. (or does the 2009 have heated grips?)

Definitely heated grips:

(Click on image for larger view)

(Shown connected on my '06.)

Yes, it's heated grips connector, but, it's curious, after 2006 heated grips are standard on all FJR. At least in Europe. Before they were optional

Yes, it's heated grips connector, but, it's curious, after 2006 heated grips are standard on all FJR. At least in Europe. Before they were optional
The Americans were not so lucky with heated grips. But they got bag liners as standard, we don't.

By resistor, are you talking about the little metal piece that screws on the top of the spark plug?

If so, that isn't the resistor. It's just a metal adapter they give you so the plug can be used with caps that need the larger diameter.

But in your post you say you dropped something (the plug?) and suspect that the gap was changed. I would be more concerned that after dropping the plug the insulator got cracked or the plug was otherwise damaged and is misfiring. Plugs are formed with a ceramic center insulator that is somewhat fragile. Probably the easiest thing to do is to just get another plug and replace the one that you dropped. Plugs are cheap. I wouldn't even bother taking the old one out to look at it without having another to put back in its place.

PS - Heated grips were standard in the US starting in 2006, but only on the AE (auto-clutch) variants from 2006 thru 2008. Became standard in 2009 on all models I think.

The Americans were not so lucky with heated grips. But they got bag liners as standard, we don't.
PS - Heated grips were standard in the US starting in 2006, but only on the AE (auto-clutch) variants from 2006 thru 2008. Became standard in 2009 on all models I think.
Thanks for this information. somtime it's hard to hunderstand the YMC logic...

What is bag liners?

In the United States the rear hard saddlebags come with soft cloth bags with closure zippers and a pocket on the bag and a shoulder strap for carrying. Pack the soft bag in the house and slap it into the hard bag. Arrive and simply remove the soft bags like luggage. Living in the colder side of the US I would rather have had the heated grips in place of the bags. My wife definitely would rather have the bag liners.

The bags come as RIGHT and LEFT, shaped to fit the hard bags. There have been several styles of bags over the years but they basically come in this form:

s-l500.jpg

Ok, thanks, I have already heard about it, but like it's an expensive option, nobody take it! This is the first time I see them...

For heated grips, I have installed its on all my bikes. The FJR is the first or they are original.
IMHO, It's really important equipment

Yes the adapter. I only dropped it the length of the hole in the valve cover and it hit the top of the head, the spark plug socket did not grab it so when I went to put the plug in it fell out of the socket down into the valve cover.

By resistor, are you talking about the little metal piece that screws on the top of the spark plug? If so, that isn't the resistor. It's just a metal adapter they give you so the plug can be used with caps that need the larger diameter.

But in your post you say you dropped something (the plug?) and suspect that the gap was changed. I would be more concerned that after dropping the plug the insulator got cracked or the plug was otherwise damaged and is misfiring. Plugs are formed with a ceramic center insulator that is somewhat fragile. Probably the easiest thing to do is to just get another plug and replace the one that you dropped. Plugs are cheap. I wouldn't even bother taking the old one out to look at it without having another to put back in its place.

Oh and thanks to all that indicated heated grips, I can quit wondering if they were supposed to be plugged into anything.