Headlight Adjuster Holder

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayt171

Reaction score
Put on a set of FZ1 mirror today. Fantastic mod. When I was opening up the panels to gain access to the mirror hardware, the nut under the headlight adjuster fell off after only a slight turn. Looks like the last person that had the panel off either cross threaded the nut onto the holder or over torqued it. Are these things notoriously brittle or was the one on my bike just abused. Gonna be raining for the remainder of the week so I have time to pick another one up.

Sounds as though the last person who had the panel off didn't get the locator into its groove when refitting the adjuster, if everything is lined up there is plenty of thread for the nut, but if the locator is not in its slot you have barely any thread projecting through the panel. It is a real PITA to get right.

Make sure it's not broken off the plastic thread. Very easy to do.

(Click on image for larger view)

You can ignore the nut, just push the cable through the panel when you put the panel back, put the knob back on, and forget it. Continues to perform its task.

DAMHIK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure it's not broken off the plastic thread. Very easy to do.
(Click on image for larger view)

You can ignore the nut, just push the cable through the panel when you put the panel back, put the knob back on, and forget it. Continues to perform its task.

DAMHIK.
Me too! I keep planning to order the parts to fix it but it seems to work just fine despite the fact that the "holder" is broken. FWIW, I really haven't had to re-adjust the headlight since the bike was new. I check them every time I change a bulb or have the front cowl off the bike.

Add me to the list of having broken both of the plastic threaded "Holders" that the nut screws onto. Mine have been broken for quite a while because I forgot to order the replacement holders when I made my last fastener order at Partshark.

As has been said, you don't need the nut; just push the holder back into the panel, lining up the alignment tab, and screw the knob back onto the adjusting cable. Adjuster knob still works fine. And yes, it is a PITA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be different! I have never touched the nut in question. When removing the panel I just undo the knurled nut at the back, easy peasy...........

Just to be different! I have never touched the nut in question. When removing the panel I just undo the knurled nut at the back, easy peasy...........
I was thinking about it this morning and was wondering if there was enough slack in the adjuster cable to put the panel out and get to the nut on the back. Now I know. Of course if the circlip is installed then this won't work......

I was thinking about it this morning and was wondering if there was enough slack in the adjuster cable to put the panel out and get to the nut on the back. Now I know. Of course if the circlip is installed then this won't work......
I've been using this method since I bought my 07 new. Plenty of room to unscrew the knurled nut and it seems much simpler and less likely to cause problems this way.

I've been using this method since I bought my 07 new. Plenty of room to unscrew the knurled nut and it seems much simpler and less likely to cause problems this way.
The only thing I would add is to fit a ty-wrap (or something like it) just behind the knurled nut to prevent it slipping down the cable. It can be retrieved but who needs the hassle...............