Alaska 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn

Reaction score
Ride report pictures start on page 6

about 1.5 hours until time to blast off.

This is a repeat trip that we did in 2011, but when we get to Watson Lake, Yukon, we hang a left and go much further into Alaska. BeamerReamers are going again along with their oldest son.

you can follow along on our spot at: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=10ce15743d14cae002

Here is the route (planned)

image003_zps5dbutfdt.jpg

Just need to close the covers and go! Going to be in some very remote areas, so we are carrying spare tires just in case along with tools to spoon them on and balance them.

IMG_0161_zps6xqlmvuc.jpg

I'll update as I can depending on wifi access and time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow....Looks like you are going through Dawson City, its just a short hop up the Dempster Highway to Inuvik to get a picture of the Igloo church.

I can't really tell from the map but it looks like you are stopping at Fairbanks. Are you considering the ~200 mile dash to the Arctic Circle sign? Leave the trailer in Fairbanks and do an up-and-back.

I had really hoped to do Alaska this year but ran into some health issues that will cause me to delay this trip for a year. Hope you have a terrific time and I will be following along.

Also, in Fairbanks checkout the dorms on the campus of the University of Alaska Fairbanks. Much cheaper than even the worst flea bag motel in Fairbanks. Clean, safe, dry, warm but spartan.

Looks like you're taking the Campbell Highway between Carmacks and Watson Lake. Gravel the entire 380 miles and can be ugly between Faro and Watson Lake. Best to check on road conditions before you leave Dawson.

If you have bike issues in the Dawson vicinity, then contact The Dick. (Dick Van Nostrand) He has a lift, tire changer and is generous in offering help to riders. Dust 2 Dawson, an annual gathering of riders in Dawson, will take place on 24-25 June. Worth attending if the timing works.

Good riding, you'll have a blast.

Safe travels.

Topic for next fall's tech day. A demo on how to spoon tires on to an FJR in remote places. I can't even imagine breaking the bead, much less putting the tires on by hand or having the air pressure to seat the bead.

I am not worthy! I have struggled putting tires on my FJR with my No Mar changer, until recently when I learned the secret - heat the tire stupid. Where do you got room for a No Mar tire changer on that rig?
smile.png

Looking forward to the ride report.

Safe travels.
Topic for next fall's tech day. A demo on how to spoon tires on to an FJR in remote places. I can't even imagine breaking the bead, much less putting the tires on by hand or having the air pressure to seat the bead.

I am not worthy! I have struggled putting tires on my FJR with my No Mar changer, until recently when I learned the secret - heat the tire stupid. Where do you got room for a No Mar tire changer on that rig.
Same tire changing questions I have although it can be done in a remote area by using the side stand or a U-clamp to break the bead and installing tubes to seat the tire. I perfer to carry plugs and flat proof.

Nice! I am actually planning a very similar trip for 2017, so please post a couple ride reports!

Have fun!

There are plenty of places to have tires mounted along the way. Anchorage: multiple bike shops and Alaska Leather. Palmer: the Abby. Fairbanks: Four bike shops and Adventure Cycle Works. Tok: CJ's. Dawson: The Dick. Whitehorse: The Honda dealer. Watson Lake: See the owner of the Airforce Inn for advice.

To each there own, but I don't carry tires. Plugs and tubes should get you to a place where you can get tires. But, if I were pulling a trailer, then I might think differently. It certainly cannot hurt to have tires available all the time... along with a bottle of Irish to see you through the dismount and mounting.