Close Encounters of the Wrong Kind

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
Riding up Main street in Spearfish this morning, headed to Belle Fourche to Realtimeindustries to pick up my new Shoei Neotec.

As many of you will recall Main street is 4 lanes, has a stoplight in the center of town.

I followed a GMC Acadia SUV turning Left onto Main Street from that light, he turned into the left lane, I into the right, I was overtaking him, just about to his right door when I saw him half hearted glance right, I thought OH SHIT!and grabbed two fingers of front brake as

The jackass made a Right Turn from the Left Lane without signalling.

I followed said Jackass for two blocks, pulling up next to him at a stop sign and we discussed his Jackassed maneuver! I didn't see you said he. Well Duh said I, but what the hell were you turning right from the left lane for? I didn't want to have to stop at the next light said dumb ass.

It was as close as I want to come. My heart finally slowed by the time I got to Alex's place. Really like my new Lid, glad I didn't have to test the old one!😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Drops, crashes, and close calls .... enough already!

Glad your incident did not involve physical contact with vehicle or pavement, and I applaud your restraint that avoided physical contact with the jackass.

Stay safe... We all need to those little reminders that we have to always be on our toes (or fingers).

Good on you for being aware enough to see douchetard's half hearted look. You weren't a Mack truck, so the coast was clear.

Have to have the spidey sense on high alert at all times.

Yeah - I'm with Hud - we've had enough of this crap to last us a while. Way to be on the ball, John.

In a truely civilized society you would be allowed to shoot people for such behavior. Had he caused an accident that resulted in your injury or death, I'm certain he would have expressed is heartfelt sympathies.

Very glad it turned out as it did.

I think one of the reasons I've lasted so long on the street is I think I'd gotten pretty good at "reading" cars that might be a problem. Even while driving the car with the wife I'll say something like "See that red truck? He's going to pull in front of us...." Two seconds later...it does. I guess spotting assholes for so many years on the bike has increased my perception of their intent. Don't know, perhaps it's akin to "body language" somehow, being able to recognize the idiots before they do the idiot thing...

Anyway, glad you read the situation and reacted in time. :)

Glad you survived the jackass.

He needs a good beating...come on mother karma, don't keep us waiting!

I think one of the reasons I've lasted so long on the street is I think I'd gotten pretty good at "reading" cars that might be a problem. Even while driving the car with the wife I'll say something like "See that red truck? He's going to pull in front of us...." Two seconds later...it does. I guess spotting assholes for so many years on the bike has increased my perception of their intent. Don't know, perhaps it's akin to "body language" somehow, being able to recognize the idiots before they do the idiot thing... Anyway, glad you read the situation and reacted in time.
smile.png
+1

I can remember trying to teach that skill to my kids when teaching them how to drive. They were always amazed when I would predict stupidness.

I still think we'd be better off if everyone had to ride a motorcycle for at least a year before getting a license to operate a car.

I think one of the reasons I've lasted so long on the street is I think I'd gotten pretty good at "reading" cars that might be a problem. Even while driving the car with the wife I'll say something like "See that red truck? He's going to pull in front of us...." Two seconds later...it does...
I've found this. Lorry on my left as we are in the two left-turn lanes. I hang back, sure enough lorry carries on right, just where we'd have been.

Wifey question: "How did you know he was going to do that?"

mactrophy answer: "Years of staying alive on a motorcycle."

The reality is I don't consciously know why I hung back, but I've learnt to trust my instincts.

If we're going to do everything possible to stay safe, we have to take a hard look at our own behavior, too. The cager was definitely a poor/lazy driver, but the OP made three choices that put himself in greater danger than necessary. Turning left into the right lane, passing on the right, and confronting the Jackass.

BigChunk

Better get yourself some loud slip ons there Big John. Loud pipes save lives. didn't those pirates down in Sturgis teach you that?

If we're going to do everything possible to stay safe, we have to take a hard look at our own behavior, too. The cager was definitely a poor/lazy driver, but the OP made three choices that put himself in greater danger than necessary. Turning left into the right lane, passing on the right, and confronting the Jackass.
BigChunk
In a 4 lane road on a main street, are you saying that you will never continue at the speed limit if the left lane Louie is going slower than the speed limit?

If so, remind me never to cross the country on I-80 with you.

I see your intention with your comments..and you have some good thoughts, but if I was forced to behave like you...I would just sell the bike, buy a Saab station wagon, and cry silently for the rest of my remaining day(s).

. . . . Really like my new Lid, glad I didn't have to test the old one!

Fer sure. Should have waited till you were on the way BACK from B.F. Then you could have tested the NEW one!

I've found this. Lorry on my left as we are in the two left-turn lanes. I hang back, sure enough lorry carries on right, just where we'd have been.
At least it was only a lorry. Doesn't sound very dangerous. :)

Good save John. It is indeed telling that we have to have developed such a 6th sense about other driver's next move. I too comment to my wife about another driver's likely next move, right before they do it...it annoys her :D

In a 4 lane road on a main street, are you saying that you will never continue at the speed limit if the left lane Louie is going slower than the speed limit?

If so, remind me never to cross the country on I-80 with you.

I see your intention with your comments..and you have some good thoughts, but if I was forced to behave like you...I would just sell the bike, buy a Saab station wagon, and cry silently for the rest of my remaining day(s).

Apologies for the slow reply. Selling a bike and buying a station wagon makes for a long day.

Not sure why you're asking a complete stranger for a reminder, Wheaton, but I'm not one to stand on formalities so here goes. Remember not to ever cross the country on I-80 with me.

Kind of an oddly specific thing to need a reminder for but I guess we all have our challenges.

Please ignore any typos I may have made. It's hard to see the keyboard through my tears. I've always been a little bit weepy and I suppose I always will be.

Yours in self-control, patience, and good judgement,

BigChunk