The FJR Bird Strike Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of bird did you hit?

• Total voters
Big black crow flew out of the underbrush, bounced off the left mirror (knocking the glass out) and bruised my left hand as it exploded into a cloud of black feathers and crowshit.

Start your own poll.

bleh.gif

I hit a bird at the Ramble a couple weeks ago. On 800 heading south towards 255...at speed. Don't know exactly what I hit, but I felt it. I chested it to death...Never saw it, as it committed hari kari. It did not hit the bike. Griff saw it from two seconds behind me.

I've had bee strikes and close calls on big vultures, but first time I killed Cock Robin. Felt like somebody threw a softball hard at my chest.

Last edited by a moderator:
You killed Cock Robin? I knew it was you all along, sir Mark of Wheaton!

You probably offed ole' King Williame the second now, didn' ya?

Third question...have you ever hit a bird on another type of motorcycle: Yes.
Not on my FJR but a rental K1300GT. A very large hawk (or small eagle) flew out of the bushes right in front of me in the Sierra Nevada mountains, bounced off the windshield, then smacked my faceshield and tumbled up and over my daughter's head. Somehow, it managed to keep flying and wobbled off into the trees.

I was sure that the windshield was broken but other than a small scratch on the windshield and another on my faceshield, there was no damage.

Do bumble bees count?
uhoh.gif

I hit a Starling at like 45 not too far back...hit the top of the shield and then my helmet. Powder & dust everywhere...thankfully no blood.

I can think of at least three. One poor little fellow crossed my path somewhere north of Rock Springs WY when I was going "fast." Felt and heard a thud on the helmet. Left a "v" shaped blood streak just above my visor across the top of the helmet.

Once in northern MT I was hugging the inside of the road on a long sweeping right hander. I'm going maybe 75-80, see something way bigger than I wanted to see step onto the road right in front of me, no time to do anything but grit my teeth. My right hand brushed right over the top of that stupid wild turkey's head--if he had taken a few more steps I would have plowed him. Actually one of my scariest animal encounters (knock on wood).

I've killed 6. All the little road wandering tweetie birds. Over like a 4 year period, I killed 3. One at FJR nominal speed that hit my slider. The guy behind me almost fell of his bike laughing. He said it blew up in a ball.of feathers.

Then one day, on a trip, I killed 3. I thought I only killed two, until I found #3 flopping in my windshield mount. Dumbasses!

If you let 3 dove cook slowly on the FJR radiator for 120 miles they are medium-rare and perfect eating, bring some onions and jalapenos and napkins....lots of napkins.

I had two close calls, one was a turkey at the edge of a cornfield and I ducked to avoid him. I came around a curve and very nearly hit a buzzard another time but thankfully I have never even hit a tweetie bird.

I hit some small bird. it hit the left fork on the bike. Just missed a turkey coming back from Blood Mountain one weekend. All I saw was brown in my face shield but it missed me. CLOSE!!

Barn Sparrow, caught him head first in the vent next to the headlight.

Last edited by a moderator: