Will Gen II/III Forks Fit a Gen I FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Has anybody fit Gen II/III forks to a Gen I FJR? Looks like fender will mount the same. I am assuming they will fit in the Gen I lower and upper clamps fine. I just wonder if the Gen I calipers will fit on the Gen II/III fork lowers. Mounting bolt spacing the same? Geometry of calipers to rotor the same?

Anybody already blazed this trail?

Anybody already blazed this trail?
Yep. Covered under the Compatibility Matrix my friend. ....as long as you don't think the 2003 is the center of the fork universe.

Thanks! I should of thought of that. But it doesn't help. Too many 'may's in there. I could be the trailblazer here, but I don't want to be! I only want to invest the $$$ if I think there is a high probability it will be a relatively straightforward and easy swap.

Edit: Ok, upon re-read of the matrix it says Gen I/II forks are non-interchangeable. Why????

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: Ok, upon re-read of the matrix it says Gen I/II forks are non-interchangeable. Why????
I don't see where it says that and don't remember writing that. The crosses are different than the asterisks.

I remember about '02 (Euro)/'03 North America brake bosses between different than '04+ and then chatter about '06 may be an issue.

When of if you or somebody else wants to try...I'll gladly update the mays to something different. Sorry, it's not all things to all people all the time...just a great place to start. :)

I don't see where it says that and don't remember writing that. The crosses are different than the asterisks.

Check out the box just to the left of the box with all the asterisks and crosses. You are developing CRS as you get older my friend. I am well into the advanced stages.....

CRS - Can't Remember Shit

Edit: That box is not wholly correct. It says mirrors are non-interchangeable between Gen I and Gen II. Don't tell my 04 FJR that. It's been running Cerulean Silver Gen II mirrors off an AE FJR for many years now.

Assuming the forks fit into the clamps, why not transplant the whole front end? Forks on down. I am sure there will be a donor bike out there somewhere.

The AK-20s replacing the original springs made a world of improvement on the '05. Pricey granted, but well worth it.

The AK-20s replacing the original springs made a world of improvement on the '05. Pricey granted, but well worth it.
Bite me jackass!

The Hula Girl, my 04 FJR has had Ak-20s for quite a while working absolutely wonderful!

Until.......

20150616_102655_resized_zpsvlemnqif.jpg

Now it has some stock 05 forks in it that I believe I bought from BigSky.
upset.gif
The right fork has a slow oil seal leak. I *really* don't want to put a lot of money into this 150k mile, only crashed a few times FJR that isn't worth crap. However I am enjoying riding it right now. But taking a highway transition ramp leaned over at allegedly 90mph or so and hitting the expansion joints - well, lets just say I had to go change my underwear. Front and rear with it's Wilbers shock were completely unbalanced. With the Ak-20s it handled like it was on rails! Don't know if I can, or want to afford getting the damaged Ak-20s back in there.

I have a line on some '13 forks with almost zero miles. Thought that would be a good short to long term solution - IF they are a relatively plug-n-play swap. I'm only really worried about the Gen I brake calipers fitting the Gen II forks. I figured somebody has had to of tried this already.

Skoot - If you look at your pic ^^^^ the GEN I front axle threads into the LH fork leg...GEN II does not. You'd at least need a new/used GEN II front axle. Compare your '09 and the Hula Gurl or better yet, take a couple hours and pull the forks off your '09 and check it out!

...and yes, I read new apartment and no garage!
smile.png

Have fun!!

--G

Skoot - If you look at your pic ^^^^ the GEN I front axle threads into the LH fork leg...GEN II does not. You'd at least need a new/used GEN II front axle. Compare your '09 and the Hula Gurl or better yet, take a couple hours and pull the forks off your '09 and check it out!
...and yes, I read new apartment and no garage!
smile.png

Have fun!!

--G

Perfectly good used axles are a dime a dozen on ebay. No garage + summer in Arizona = no self-maintenance on the bikes for a while.

Bite me jackass!

The Hula Girl, my 04 FJR has had Ak-20s for quite a while working absolutely wonderful!

Until.......

20150616_102655_resized_zpsvlemnqif.jpg

Now it has some stock 05 forks in it that I believe I bought from BigSky.
upset.gif
The right fork has a slow oil seal leak. I *really* don't want to put a lot of money into this 150k mile, only crashed a few times FJR that isn't worth crap. However I am enjoying riding it right now. But taking a highway transition ramp leaned over at allegedly 90mph or so and hitting the expansion joints - well, lets just say I had to go change my underwear. Front and rear with it's Wilbers shock were completely unbalanced. With the Ak-20s it handled like it was on rails! Don't know if I can, or want to afford getting the damaged Ak-20s back in there.

I have a line on some '13 forks with almost zero miles. Thought that would be a good short to long term solution - IF they are a relatively plug-n-play swap. I'm only really worried about the Gen I brake calipers fitting the Gen II forks. I figured somebody has had to of tried this already.
You have some"Bull-legged" forks
taunt.gif

But "Jackass" ??? Really? Is that any way to talk to a person in possession of a 262K bike, that is considering sending it to the bone yard?

Oh yes, I forgot to mention IT HAS AK-20s in the forks as it SITS.

Was going to put the AKs in the'08. perhaps I will junk the '05 with pics… and the AK-20s.

jester.gif

Oh and
rofl.gif

Perfectly good used axles are a dime a dozen on ebay. No garage + summer in Arizona = no self-maintenance on the bikes for a while.
Oh yeah..there's that! I've conveniently forgot about the blast furnace down 'thar!

--G

BTW - It's 53 with light showers here...electric blankie will be nice tonight!
cold.gif

I ran my '06 with forks from the '05 when I was getting forks rebuilt during one of the GP group buys. Not certain if I ran the wheel from the gen 1 or gen 2. The retainers for the break lines do not line up. Not sure what changed in '08 with the ABS changes.

Skooter,

I'm pretty sure the ABS sensor is different 1st to 2nd Gen, if your 1st Gen has ABS it may be inop after swapping.

Wouldn't it just be easier to rebuild the old 1st Gen forks that you have already? I know that you have no work space, but you have friends with work space, and fork legs are pretty portable.

Any chance you can re-use the upgraded dampers in the new (straight) old fork legs? I've never seen the AK20 package. Is that a stand alone damper that gets swapped with the stock one (in which case the damper rod would be bent) or can the valve bodies be swapped into the old cartridge like the GP suspension ones?? If so then a 1st Gen fork rebuild with the upgraded parts (at the very least the stiffer springs) from the crooked ones may be the ticket.

I don't know if there's some other benefit of switching to Gen II, but if it were me, I'd send those and a new (or used) pair of inner tubes to Traxxion and have them inspect and rebuild. I'm all for doing work myself but their prices are good and you will know it was done right.

I'm a little biased as I have had them work on every bike I've owned, and they are within driving distance for me..

Hmm, you could spend $150 for new springs and the installation kit from Race Tech and buy their valve kit for $300. Since you have leaks and used forks, figure another $100 for new bushing, seals, and fork oil.

How much is this stock pair of 2013 forks? (And a set of new calipers, new brake hoses, a new hose splitting block to undo the linked brakes, I must be forgetting something!) The ABS rings are different too, that could get interesting...

Check out the box just to the left of the box with all the asterisks and crosses. You are developing CRS as you get older my friend. I am well into the advanced stages.....

CRS - Can't Remember Shit

Edit: That box is not wholly correct. It says mirrors are non-interchangeable between Gen I and Gen II. Don't tell my 04 FJR that. It's been running Cerulean Silver Gen II mirrors off an AE FJR for many years now.
I've been told Milk of Amnesia is good for that................