Counteract balancing beads?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I know this is a NEPRT! But please bare with me.

I have read numerous threads on the balancing beads but have not come across any discussion in the forum on the Counteract balancing beads. There seems to be endless discussions on the ceramic beads but I would love your expert advise on the Counteract balancing beads if you could lend support for those that have used this product.

I know there is many who vote against balancing beads but for the benefit of time I would like to hear from those who have used this product and their opinion compared to the ceramic beads.

I contacted the supplier and they forwarded me the following, if there is any who would dispute their claims please comment. I would really appreciate your feedback.

- Ceramic beads have been reported to cause a lot of problems inside tires. That is because it is a free flowing product. Being a free flowing product it means that when the bike comes to a stop, slows down, or turns, all the centrifugal force that was generated is lost causing the product to fall down to the bottom of the tire and be out of balance. Once the vehicle start moving again these products bang off the inner liner of the tire and the rim causing them to eventually become abrasive and hurt the inner liner. It’s something in the industry referred to as the “Salt and Pepper effect”. These free flowing products are notorious for causing tire warranty issues. They also will only balance out in a straight line at 60mph, which is why you experience a vibration or shutter until you get up to higher speeds and centrifugal force and inertia is enough to distribute the beads.

Counteract does NOT void any tire warranties. To date we have done over 20 million tires in 27 different countries and have never had one warranty claim. Tire manufactures and reps will try to tell you that internal beads, sealants and liquid product voids the warranty but they will only say it verbally. This is because they want to sell more tires, we allow tires to last longer… If you were to ask any of these companies for documented proof of it voiding the warranty they can’t provide it because it is not true, it actually states in the tire warranties that “as long as the internal balancer has shown no signs of wear or harm to the inner liner of the tire it does not affect the tire warranty” Unfortunately for other products, including slime, regardless how well you clean the inside of a tire you can tell something was in there…but not with Counteract. We have a patent on our beads and our technology that insure that we do not harm the inside of the tire.

We have international patents on our beads, the size of our beads and how they work inside a tire. Since we manufacture a tempered glass bead, the contact of glass and rubber (from the tire) generate an electrostatic charge. Once Counteract finds the out of balance position inside the tire the beads hold that position. When you turn, stop, start Counteract stays in its balanced position never causing you to be in and out of balance. This is how we have been the only method of balancing in the world that is proven to increase fuel economy. Our product allows not only your rim and tire, but your entire wheel assembly to be balanced 100% of the time. If for whatever reason your tire becomes out of balance due to road conditions, heavy breaking or even picking up stones and mud, Counteract will experience these vibrations inside the tire and actually migrate to counteract and fix those new out of balance conditions. It constantly moves and changes inside the tire always insuring a true balance. We have actually proven that we allow tires to run 60 degrees F cooler than all free flowing competitor products, and 30 degrees F cooler than a traditional spin balance. Liquids, other beads and powders all actually cause your tire to heat up and generate heat which increases tire wear and promotes thermal degradation.

We have been doing this for 18 years, we have never had to change our product in 18 years because it works. We have our beads at a specific size for a reason, they also have a patented secret coating on the beads so they don’t clump and will prevent moisture inside the tire. People think beads are beads, they are not… Ours are specifically designed and created for the use inside a tire. Once you start tossing other beads and products inside the tires is where you run into problems.

Counteract is NOT compatible with Slime. Counteract should be the only thing in your tire, do not mix it with any other products. What users also need to remember is that Counteract, and any other balancing product are “Balancing Products” if you have a balance issue Counteract will fix it. If you have an out of round tire, bent rim, bad shock, twisted belt in your tire, nothing can fix that without replacing the part. Sometimes users refuse to believe that they have a bad tire, or that it was mounted incorrectly blaming balancing products for their issues. I can guarantee that tire roundness and tire issues is not uncommon. Tire manufactures pump out millions of tires a year at least 20% of those are rejects from the factory or are not recommended for consumer use, yet still make their way over here and are sold in shops.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.

Cheers.

Reading that it sounds like they are selling something.... I can't conceive of 20 million installs of *anything* with 0.0000 complaints. There is nothing said in that manufacturer's message which doesn't fall under the already open thread on balancing beads here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using them for years in the FJR tires & the Hayabusa tires. Love them, never a problem or issue and I don't have ugly weights stuck on my wheels. As long as I keep the tires inflated properly, my wear has been even and predictable.

I get them from ridersdiscount on Ebay.

. . . they also have a patented secret coating on the beads . . .
Okay, I give up. How can something be patented and secret?
rolleyes.gif

. . . they also have a patented secret coating on the beads . . .
Okay, I give up. How can something be patented and secret?
rolleyes.gif
Cadbury Caramilk comes to mind.

I have been using the Counteract balancing beads over the competitors with no ill effects & frankly I enjoy the convenience of not having to balance my wheels or the worry of loosing weights or the PITA of cleaning around them on my wheels.

I've been using them for years in the FJR tires & the Hayabusa tires. Love them, never a problem or issue and I don't have ugly weights stuck on my wheels. As long as I keep the tires inflated properly, my wear has been even and predictable.
+1

They are hucksters. From their web page:

Sounds like if you use their product instead of the traditional balancing weights that you'll save some coin, right?

Let's read the actual "study" :..

The purpose of the testing program described herein was to evaluate the impact on fuel economy resulting from the addition of Counteract Balancing Beads to all wheel positions on both the tractor and trailer. The product was installed in all steer, drive and trailer tires on a test vehicle. Standard unbalanced wheel assemblies served as the basis of the comparison.
So their test was comparing fuel economy of a heavily loaded 18 wheeler truck with their balancing beads installed to one with totally unbalanced wheels. Gee, you mean you might lose some fuel economy if your wheels are bouncing down the road? Go figure.

I also do not believe their 20 Million installation claim. I looked to see where these things are available and the closest US dealership in in Erie PA? They seem to have more retailer in Canada, which is where they are from.

Maybe you should ask for the patent numbers....they claim that they have more than one. Beads are beads, they will either work or not. If they can't produce a patent (and I fail to see how you could patent a bead) that should tell you all you need to know.

Maybe I've missed it, but it would sure be nice to see some quantitative data on this. Some form of vibration measurement on a front fork or swingarm with three cases: 1) new tire, no balance performed 2) same tire, purposely off-balance 3) same off-balance tire with beads

I've done the obvious Google search, but find nothing. No scientific data. How is that possible?

Ask them why professional motorcycle road racers don't use their product.
They don't care about a 2.2% improvement in fuel economy.
sleep.png

Maybe I've missed it, but it would sure be nice to see some quantitative data on this. Some form of vibration measurement on a front fork or swingarm with three cases: 1) new tire, no balance performed 2) same tire, purposely off-balance 3) same off-balance tire with beadsI've done the obvious Google search, but find nothing. No scientific data. How is that possible?
You mean real science? Just believe brother, just believe!
angel.gif

Maybe I've missed it, but it would sure be nice to see some quantitative data on this. Some form of vibration measurement on a front fork or swingarm with three cases: 1) new tire, no balance performed 2) same tire, purposely off-balance 3) same off-balance tire with beadsI've done the obvious Google search, but find nothing. No scientific data. How is that possible?
You don't need quantified data when it comes to beads - only faith. Every quantitative test I have read shows that they do not work, but that doesn't deter the faithful.

Wanna buy some Amsoil?

I have no experience with the beads, however, when I had my dealer install tires a few

months ago he asked if I wanted them balanced or filled with "Ride-on"? He explained

what Ride-on was and how it worked, so I said i'd give it a try.

Since that day my 2009 FJR with PR4's have no lead weights and they are as smooth

as my PR3's were, when balanced with weights.

I was skeptical as hell and told the dealer it was coming back quickly if I felt any vibrations.

Still smooth as silk.

I suspect the beads and liquid work on similar physical principals.

I used to run Ride-On after Rider Magazine's Tech Editor, Andy McDonald, did a very thorough evaluation. Then it failed to work on small screw in the center of the tread, exactly where it should work best. I had the Rid-On installed at a Harley Dealer, so wasn't all that sure it wasn't corrupted somehow as a bad joke on the non-Harley guy. Contacted Ride-On about what happened, and got a series of weasel worded emails to the effect of 'we never actually said it would stop leaks'. Might work fine, but the weaseling leaves me cold.

I've decided that the only smart way to proceed is to balance the old fashioned way, but to place only half the required weight on the rim... then add half the amount of recommended beads. Can't go wrong......