Tire Storage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burns1

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so because I have a trip to Oregon planned next month, I went ahead and got a set of PR4 GT's put on. My old PR4's had about 8k on them and I was afraid they wouldn't make the whole trip and I don't want to try to find tires on the trip. Anyway, I still probably have 1-2k left on the old tires so I kept them. My question is, should I do anything special as far as storing them goes? I know quite a few of you have kept take-offs and I figure someone might have some suggestions. Thanks!

Burns1

I store a dozen or so tires at any given time; new and take offs. Just don't let them get deformed by having weight rest on them, or put them in a place where they can fill with water. Best if they are stored resting on the tread.

I store tires in a cool dry place under the house, away from sunlight. New tires get the black plastic bag treatment, take-offs are stored vertical on the tread. I generally use up take-offs pretty quickly and only keep a decent front & rear around for buddy tires and folks passing through.

Follow John's^^^^ advice regarding electric motors and ozone.

--G

Just keep them out of the sun. I did a tour of a Bridgestone Distribution Center a while back (millions of tires in there). Part of the tour they talked about different places they have in the supply chain, one of those places was old mining caverns that they store tires in. Due to no sun and a good constant temp they can store them there with no ill affects for years.

Thanks guys. I figured it wasn't a big deal but thought I'd ask. Sounds like a couple black trash bags and keep them in the cool basement. Works for me!

Burns1

There's the type of smart-pass answer I was waiting for. Lol Had me worried, what with all these legitimately helpful answers. I was starting to think I had posted on the wrong forum.

Burns1