BILT - Explorer Waterproof Jacket and Pants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stose85

Reaction score
Yesterday was the first time I stepped foot in a Cycle Gear store in Tulsa Oklahoma. My wife and I have been looking for some economical jacket/pants combo's for a few weeks. I had tried on several Tourmaster and Olympia jackets in other stores but I couldn't find any pants to go with them. From using the search feature I found that there isn't a lot of love here for Bilt, but I couldn't pass on the memorial day sale they were having. I wanted a jacket that was as close to 4 season as I could find with decent features for a reasonable price. The Bilt Explorer Waterproof Jacket and Pants were over 50% off of their "regular" price and they fit fantastic. There's a lot of pockets, soft armor, and a compartment for a camel back. I was looking at spending upwards of $750-$1000 per set until I found this one. This was an in-store sale only. I'll be interested to see how they perform under all conditions. The 5-year warranty and 100% satisfaction guarantee is what sealed the deal. I wasn't a fan of Bilt before this time, but it definitely looks like they stepped up their game on quality for a reasonable price (as long as you get them on sale). There is a lot of adjustability in the arms, back, and waist as well as a large number of vents on the front and back. I purchased each jacket/pant combos for $378 each. The jacket is $399 retail on sale for $199 and the pants were $379 on sale for $179. I will write up a detailed review on the products once I get them out on the road and in the weather.

https://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Explorer-Waterproof-Adventure-Jacket?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=SC-Shopping&utm_content=SC-ShoppingDesktop&utm_term=web1011534LGBlack&scid=scplp4353724&gclid=CPvBmpGK_cwCFVE0aQodvVAOtw

I've had my jacket for a couple of years now. Overall, it has served me well. No issues with the zippers or other fastners. My only regret was not choosing the high vis green.

I haven't tried the pants. Those will be on my list in the coming weeks.

Looking forward to a long term report.

I haven't considered them for myself. Bought my wife a jacket a year ago since she rarely rides. Hasn't been worn yet. Glad I didn't shell out for the good stuff.
biggrin.png

Interested in the quality over time. More times than not, I have found that you get what you pay for.

I did not see any mention of Goretex on the info list (?) Kind of got a kick out of the review (revzilla copy)

I like many of the features of the jacket, but the neck line bothered me. I read many reviews and most of them

complained about the waterproofness of the jacket. Most of the complaints seem to be on a wicking issue. IF you

run into a neckline wicking issue, I recommend an Alpinestars Balaclava (Goretex lined)

I hope this combo works out for you.

Interested in the quality over time. More times than not, I have found that you get what you pay for.I did not see any mention of Goretex on the info list (?) Kind of got a kick out of the review (revzilla copy)

I like many of the features of the jacket, but the neck line bothered me. I read many reviews and most of them

complained about the waterproofness of the jacket. Most of the complaints seem to be on a wicking issue. IF you

run into a neckline wicking issue, I recommend an Alpinestars Balaclava (Goretex lined)

I hope this combo works out for you.
I've had several mesh jackets that claimed to be water resistant or waterproof and none of them were perfect. I do agree you get what you pay for, but if it weren't for the label you'd think this was a Tour Master jacket. I've seen full gortex running upwards of $1200 just for a jacket. That's a lot of cash $$$. I try to stay out of the rain for the most part, and this was really purchased for the convenience of not having to stop to put on rain gear, we can just zip up the vents and "hopefully" be good to ride on. I would make the statement that any motorcycle pant is better than jeans and I'm sure you'd all agree with that. I will keep you all posted.

I've had the Explorer Air pants for two years and really like them. I've even had to test their durability in a low-side accident. They held up very well and only had very slight scuff marks after I slid and rolled in them hitting the street at 25 mph. The mesh base is comfortable and great in any warm temps. The rain liner works well but as we all know, is water-resistant, not water-proof in a downpour that lasts more than a couple of minutes. The thermal liner is very warm and is good down to 30 degrees...but I tend to not get cold easily!

The bad...I've replaced mine twice, once due to one of the velcro adjustable waist straps tearing at a seam and the other due to stitching coming undone along a seam in the leg. The good...with a 5yr warranty, all you have to do is walk into a local Cycle Gear and get a replacement, anywhere in the country.

I have the Explorer waterproof jacket in hi-vis -- been a couple of years now. Wanted to be less than ecstatic, since it's chinese made, but have never found an issue. The vents work, and work well. The liner helps a lot (though I do have a Gerbing liner too).

I love mine as well, in hi-vis. No complaints, despite feeling and looking lower "quality" compared to the Olympia I have..

I've not had any issues with rain with my jacket when making my run from AZ to ID.

But I too used the rain liner. Ganted, it wasn't a torrential downpour, but it was coming down pretty good and i was completely dry. I also like the longer fit, as it keeps the water from running down your waist while riding. I didn't have any issues with rain coming down from the neckline either.

For the price point it's a decent jacket and does the job. Another plus, I can layer comfortably in this jacket and still have flexibility in my arms and shoulders. If that makes sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a great deal for the money. I use my tourmaster for local riding to and fro to work. Past experience has been after a couple years the tourmaster is not so waterproof. In down poors I stay dry by the time I get home from work. I would not trust it in all day rain. For that I have my Aerostitch which is what I use on long trips. That will keep me dry in any rainstorm all day long even. Been there done it.

Dave

I have a sedici rapido that I bought last year that's seen a lot of use and is still rock solid and bone dry. Their zippers are chintzy but they last for years. I had an earlier version and the jacket was still great, but the main zipper failed. I lust for klim, but these have stood up to heavy use and given great service.

I had the first opportunity to take the bike out yesterday evening and test the jacket before more rain came in. I had all of the vents open; arms, chest x2, and back. It felt as if I was wearing a rubber suit.
ph34r2.gif
Absolutely zero air flow. I thought this may be due to a couple of different reasons. The first being the FJR1300 has superior wind protection which is nice most of the time, but when its hot, it warms you up much quicker. The other reason being that the wind was not blowing in addition to the speed of the bike. I did notice with the shield raised upward there was air flow through the back of the jacket moving through the chest. I picked up a cooling vest as well as the Bilt gear last week, so I'm going to try it out on my way back to Tulsa today. It looks like I may have a chance to try out the weatherproofing part of the gear as well. The Adventure Bilt Gloves that I purchased are okay at best, and I found that the pads that sit above the first knuckle start to abraid within a short time. I honestly thought the plastic across the knuckles would be the problem, but they didn't cause any issues with me.

Unlike my wife, I sweat in almost any conditions so this may not be the best jacket/pant combo for me. I ride 12 months a year as long as there isn't ice on the road. I'd really like to see what this will do in colder weather. I'll keep everyone posted on my results after today's ride. Be safe!

I just got back from my 100 mile round trip. The temperatures were between 77-82F with 65% humidity.

The cooling vest definitely makes the ride more enjoyable even if you get a little bit wet underneath.

https://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Cooling-Waterproof-Vest

I couldn't understand why people gripe on this subject as you are soaking a garment in water and putting it over your shirt. Of course you're going to get a little wet.

I decided to replace the Bilt Adventure gloves, so I tried on several different types of gloves by Sidichi and Bilt, but I didn't like the feel. I have smaller ish hands but long fingers and generally a size large fits just fine. The Bilt brand runs small in the fingers, but an XL bunches up on the palm. I went with my faithful brand of Alpinestar Corozal Dystar Gloves. Alpinestar fits just right on the Large. The gloves are for colder temperatures but they have a lot of nice features including the wiper blade and smartphone capability in the fingers
grin.gif
They absolutely feel like a pouring rain will not be an issue. I had to fork over some $$ but its worth it to be comfortable on long rides.

https://www.cyclegear.com/ALPINESTARS-Corozal-Waterproof-Drystar-Motorcycle-Gloves

More to come after a rain test, I got lucky today and missed it in Tulsa.

I can't get Bilt cold weather gloves to fit for dammit. I tried on a 3XL, and they wouldn't go. I wear their dirt bike gloves and an XL fits just fine. Their sizing is a bit weird.

I had to run out and put a new front tire on today. Wore my jacket as usual, and it was 102 on the road. Was I warm, yes. But not uncomfortable by any means.

Like Stose85, I have a cooling vest.

But that's used for Temps near 110.

I have been disappointed with some but not all bilt products, cycle gears sedici brand for a little more cash is is spot on have not been disappointed yet I've been using there three seasons jacket and pants for over 4 years still holding up good and has kept me dry in major down pouring rain and with there heated gear I've ridden on clear days at -10.

Yes a lot of times you get what you pay for but you'll never catch me paying $1,200.00 for a jacket and another $700.00 for pants I think it's foolish, I'd rather ride button ass naked!!!!!!!

And yes that is a bilt jacket that I'm wearing in my profile photo dammm I make it look gooood.

I can't get Bilt cold weather gloves to fit for dammit. I tried on a 3XL, and they wouldn't go. I wear their dirt bike gloves and an XL fits just fine. Their sizing is a bit weird.
I agree. The Moto GP gloves were fine except the pinky was like 1/2 an inch short. Even the guy at the store laughed when I held up my hand. Oddly shaped for sure.

I can't wear anything but mesh much above 70 degrees, and often don't wear that. But for below 70, my rapido is fine with the zippers open. I only have one pair of BILT gloves. Waterproof ones. Bought on clearance for $20. But they're worth $0. No curve, very uncomfortable. Marketed specifically as waterproof, they're about as waterproof as knitted mittens.