RDL Seat options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSaul

Reaction score
I just received the front donor seat so I can send it off to get a Russell day long seat. I like the look of Warchild's seat they show in the gallery.

Looking for inputs on those that have gone the RDL way on what they would do again if they were ordering today. Also, anything they wouldn't do again.

Thanks,

Jim

I had an RDL on my 2004 1150 RT fantastic seat. I could ride all day on it.

I had an RDL on my 2010 GL1800 fantastic seat. I could ride all day on it.

Alas the wing was destroyed in a flood. I picked up a 2004 FJR for SOMETHING to ride for a while.

Flood repairs take a while and they cost money so. The FJR will be with me for a while.

Luckily I have little time to ride so when by butt hurts after 125 miles, I just go home.

No need for an RDL. Just a want.

I would do it again and again. Can't go wrong.

I'm on my fifth RDL and other than stich pattern and cover material there aren't many choices. Make sure to send them good pictures and accurate info.

Here is my input and my experience with Russell.

Excellent customer service.

Excellent build quality.

Being that said, I provided Russell with the required pics of me on the bike and me with my feet on the ground. Height, inseam, weight, and riding style. When I got seat back from them about 2 weeks before the ride to Spearfish last year, the seat was way to high for my liking. It was about 2 inch higher than my stock seat and I ride with the seat in the low setting. It was much taller than the stock seat in the high setting. I called Kim and told her the seat was simply not going to work and sent pics showing her that I was on my tip toes while the bike was stopped. I sent it back to them 2 day air and then corrected the seat build and sent it back to me 2 day shipping.

What I received back was what Kim called the Russell Sport Seat. It is the same height as the stock seat. It was EXACTLY what I wanted. My ride to Spearfish SD and back (about 2500 miles) was awesome due to the fact that I had the Russell seat. I cant say enough about it. I have done several 500 mile days since then and I have never been uncomfortable due to the seat.

If you are use to the stock seat height, i recommend the Russell sport seat. If you need a taller seat then get their normal build. Good luck and enjoy.

I have had one on my Gen I FZ1 for a couple of years, and now that I have an FJR, I expected I would be getting one for that as well, but the FJR I bought has a Laam seat built for the previous owner and I find it very comfortable. So, I will instead ride this bike as much as I can and see if I have reason to consider replacing.

I have had RDL on my last 4 motorcycles. I had vinyl with small square (1 cycle) and leather with large rectangular pattern on the last three cycles. Clearly I prefer the leather for comfort reason and in the large rectangle pattern. Leather breathes better than vinyl. My ass knows this is true.

I prefer the regular to sport option because there is less bend in my old knees. I sit up just high enough while riding I can let my legs dangle to alleviate the need for highway pegs. Perfect for me but if you like being "inside" the bike rather on "on top" then you may want to consider the sport option.

Loved mine, vinyl with leather inserts.

Also available $

Last edited by a moderator:
Black sunbrellia fabric on my mine, not hot like vinyl but cheaper than leather. Wife said the leather would be too slippery. Best seat I've ever owned.

I'm on my 3rd Russell Daylong. The first one was on my 2005 FJR. I sent the seats in and had just the driver's seat customized with the passenger seat just covered to match. I did end up buying a second rear seat and sending that in to have it customized for my wife after I found out just how great it is to ride without butt pain.

I got full leather covers in the Half Moon stitch pattern because there are fewer needle holes so it is more resistant to water logging in heavy rain. When I first got the seat I did not like the angle of the seating as it slid me into the tank. I sent it back with an explanation and they scooped out more of the foam towards the rear, which made the seat perfect for me. I put about 80k miles on that seat, and it is still running strong and looking great for my son who now owns that bike.

My second Russell was for my Vstrom, which my wife never rides on. So I got that one done up as a Solo, in the same half moon pattern, but covered in full vinyl primarily for the wet condition utility, and also to keep the expense down. In retrospect I should have ordered that seat in leather too. The difference in comfort is significant on a hot day, and the leather is far more rugged than I thought it would be with very little need for maintenance. I just spray a little Lexol on it every once in a while when I think of it.

When I upgraded my '05 FJR to a 2014 ES, one of the first things I did was to send the seats in to be Russellized. Full leather, Dual, same half moon pattern. They look pretty good (for a Russell) and are very comfy.

100_4774.jpg

I'm 6'2" so reaching the ground is not an issue for me, but having adequate leg room is. I would say the Russell seat in the low position is a tad lower than the stock seat in the high position. Certainly nowhere near 2" higher than the stock seat in the low position.

I would like to say again, I was very happy with Russell's customer service. I am sharing the way my seat build was changed to meet my riding style and comfort. Sharing these pics might help others FJR owners choose which way to have their seat built in the future.

Below is the pic I sent to Russell with me straddling the bike with the stock seat.

https://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/trishandj/stock%20seat%20feet%20on%20ground_zpsyzbgbyqs.jpeg

Below is the first seat (taller than stock) that I received. Me straddling the bike. Way to tall for my liking.

https://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/trishandj/image%201_zps3ws49dv2.jpeg

Below is the pic that shows the taller Russell beside the stock seat.

https://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/trishandj/image%203_zpsgdywnxdg.jpeg

Here is the Russell sport seat next to the stock seat. Basically the same height.

IMG_20160529_082454_zpsix1y9iew.jpg

I hope these pics and info help future Russell purchases.

Had a Saddleman in velour inserts and vinyl sides... NEVER AGAIN. HOT HOT HOT while riding.

Had a RDL in vinyl and while mui comfy the next one was all leather and gotten back in 2003. It's still spiffy and comfy thanks (not as hot a vinyl even through jeans or synth riding pants) to once or twice a year cleaning it and every couple of months conditioning it with Lexol. There are cowboy saddles in museums that are a hundred+ years old, been in all sorts of weather, and in fine shape because their owners took care of them. WHEN it comes time for me to get another saddle it WILL be RDL and it WILL be leather.

Lots of brands can look purdy for show-and-shines. Few work when the miles start piling up.

I add this suggestion; send along a piece of heat blocking material, like Dynaliner, and ask that it be fitted to the seat bottom.

I cant tell you for certain that it keeps engine heat off the seat, but hey, for the cost, what can it hurt?

You will not regret spending the $$ for this seat.

-Steve

Had a Saddleman in velour inserts and vinyl sides... NEVER AGAIN. HOT HOT HOT while riding.
Had a RDL in vinyl and while mui comfy the next one was all leather and gotten back in 2003. It's still spiffy and comfy thanks (not as hot a vinyl even through jeans or synth riding pants) to once or twice a year cleaning it and every couple of months conditioning it with Lexol. There are cowboy saddles in museums that are a hundred+ years old, been in all sorts of weather, and in fine shape because their owners took care of them. WHEN it comes time for me to get another saddle it WILL be RDL and it WILL be leather.

Lots of brands can look purdy for show-and-shines. Few work when the miles start piling up.
As Bounce noted he used Lexol to clean treat his seat once or twice a years. This is the best way to treat the seat. Please AVOID any product with silicone as it will dry out the leather. Any doubt? Put some silicon ski wax on your hands and rub it in good. It will dry your hands out real quick and dry you crazy. Leather is not much different than skin.

I would like to say again, I was very happy with Russell's customer service. I am sharing the way my seat build was changed to meet my riding style and comfort. Sharing these pics might help others FJR owners choose which way to have their seat built in the future.
Below is the pic I sent to Russell with me straddling the bike with the stock seat.

https://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/trishandj/stock seat feet on ground_zpsyzbgbyqs.jpeg

Below is the first seat (taller than stock) that I received. Me straddling the bike. Way to tall for my liking.

https://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/trishandj/image 1_zps3ws49dv2.jpeg

https://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/trishandj/image 3_zpsgdywnxdg.jpeg

Here is the Russell sport seat next to the stock seat. Basically the same height.

Did you ever ride the bike with the standard RDL to compare to the sport version? Curious if the sport version offers the same thigh support as the standard one--the tops look the same in your pictures. The whole point in getting an RDL is their wing design to support the thighs adequately so I would not want that compromised.

https://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/trishandj/stock seat feet on ground_zpsyzbgbyqs.jpeg

https://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/trishandj/image 1_zps3ws49dv2.jpeg

https://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/trishandj/image 3_zpsgdywnxdg.jpeg

Did you ever ride the bike with the standard RDL to compare to the sport version? Curious if the sport version offers the same thigh support as the standard one--the tops look the same in your pictures. The whole point in getting an RDL is their wing design to support the thighs adequately so I would not want that compromised.
The wings on my seat support me perfect. The support should be exactly the same as the normal RDL. The seat is simply not as tall. I as Kim at Russell if there was still a "sag" spring installed being that I had the sport seat. She said, "yes, all russell seats are built with a sag spring". If I ever decide to give my self some more room with the sport seat, I can simply move the seat up to the tall position.

Latest posts