Cox Radiator Guard for Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricFJR

Reaction score
I had a Cox radiator guard on my '03 because the fins were completely exposed on the Gen I's. I never put one on my '13 because I felt that the factory plastic guard was adequate. The openings are rather large but small enough to keep large objects like rocks at bay and after 21,000 miles I don't see any consequential damage to the fins. I have a '16 on order and am accumulating farkles to install when it arrives and was wondering if I should get one this time. Does the guard fit over the factory plastic one or do you have to remove it?

Ditto on the Cox radiator guard. Goes on easy. Excellent product.

It's a must around here in Northern Michigan. The local counties LOVE to chip and tar the roads. Even after a waiting period and the tar isn't much of an issue there are still loose stones all over the place!! Perfectly sized to pierce a radiator without a quality guard.....

You can spend $100 plus on a Cox guard or you can spend $20 or less and buy a steel mesh oval waste basket at Office Depot or most office supply stores. Cut a piece of mesh the size of the radiator fins and slide it in behind the plastic guard. Zip tie the corners to the plastic guard. It works well and looks good. You even have a choice of black or silver.

Hmm. Given the hassle I've had cleaning the bugs out of the Beemer radiator, I'm wondering about putting a layer of fiberglass or aluminum mesh behind the guard. The screening is cheap ( $9 for 3' x 7' aluminum, less for fiberglass) and quite strong. Just throw it away when it gets too covered. The installed guard will intercept the larger stuff. (Birds, gophers...) Comments?

Murray