Noisey Power train?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCioce

Reaction score
Just put a taller Cal Sci windscreen on my '06 and have ridden it without ear plugs for the first time as new shield reduces wind noise considerably.. I am hearing a lot of transmission/drivetrain noise, even noticable in 5th gear (3,600 miles on the odometer). Is it typical to hear a whine from this bikes drivetrain? It seems much louder than other bikes with fairings I have ridden including my buddies '04 FJR. Anyone else notice this?

Just put a taller Cal Sci windscreen on my '06 and have ridden it without ear plugs for the first time as new shield reduces wind noise considerably.. I am hearing a lot of transmission/drivetrain noise, even noticable in 5th gear (3,600 miles on the odometer). Is it typical to hear a whine from this bikes drivetrain? It seems much louder than other bikes with fairings I have ridden including my buddies '04 FJR. Anyone else notice this?
No, I haven't. But I understand the concern... When the bike is new and you listen to the normal noises for the first time they do sound vey LOUD! I took my 1991 HD FLHTCU back to the dealer complaining of 4th gear 'blowing up and taking my nuts out' complaint.' It was normal noise.. The bigger the fairing, the larger the still air space, the louder all normal mechanical noise will seem.

Then again, your tranny could be failing, just waiting to dump your sorry ass on the pavement after full lockup.. :angry2: (Not).

I'ts quite likely the change in screens. I notice this when changing screens and changing helmets as well. I usually wear a full face but will occasionally wear a 3/4 or 1/2 and I nearly always think something is wrong with the bikes at first but then get used to it. I took my 05 VStrom back to the dealer thinking there was a problem the first ride after putting on a new Cee Bailey screen AND wearing a 3/4 but of course there was no problem other than I could hear better.

Ditto. Lots of gear whine with mine, too. Ive gotten use to it. Plus, I wear ear plugs.

Ditto, mine's been whining since 2002. I think it must have an electric motor hidden somewhere and it's making this noise?

jim

I like all the noises, incuding the gears. (Well, ok, not the shaft clunk.)

When I wear earplugs, I feel disconnected.

I'm looking forward to testing my new CalSci, tomorrow. :yahoo:

The one I just bought has a noticable gear whine. Fluid levels are fine. Sounds a lot like the helical gear whine I had on an '82 Yammi Seca 650 Turbo back in the day. Every bike I've ever ridden had it's own brand of noises to get used to. A bigger windscreen will make any noises much more pronounced.

Last edited by a moderator: