Check engine light on my new 2016 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AZcruising

Reaction score
After 4 weeks with my new "ES", was surprised when the "check engine light" came on after my independent mechanic installed helibar risers and re-started the bike. Since the only thing he did was add a small extension to the brake cable, was equally surprised when the dealer said the error code was related to the "kickstand sensor"...

During the 4 years I owned my 2011 FJR the "check engine light" never came on....

The fix from the dealer... "we've experienced a similar problem with another FJR... we're not exactly sure why it occurred... try shutting the bike off with the "kill switch" before turning off the key"...

Anyone else have a similar issue with a 2016 FJR?? If so, how was it resolved?? Feel like all the dealer did was clear the error code and hope it doesn't reoccur...

Lots of the new 2016 Yamaha's including the FJR are giving that error code and it does not hurt anything. And yes, Yamaha is working on a fix.

There is also already a blog about it here that I'm to lazy to look up.

You should check your engine to make sure it's still there. I think this is related somehow to the engine mounting bolts .... ?
coolsmiley02.gif

Mine came on because of the kickstand error too and I got it reset by the dealer last month. Fast forward 1000 miles later and it hasn't come back on yet. There have been several '16 owners in the forum reporting the same issue, and I believe it's the same, none have come back on yet. Rumor has it that Mammy's working on a fix for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same thing happen on my 2016. The dealer could not find a problem with the side stand at all and did the reset...

Are you completely sure that the mechanic didn't release some blinker fluid by mistake?

I, too, have joined the ranks of the 2016 ES CEL group. Will try to get the bike to a dealer tomorrow. I notice my cruise control is also inop. Anyone else have this? Fix one and get a twofer for free?

Have you ever considered checking and clearing the codes yourself? Or maybe crawling under the bike and ensuring that all the side stand mounting bolts are tight and that the switch is mounted snugly in it's proper position? Lots you can do on your own that's just common sense. And the best common sense move for any owner is to buy a service manual.

I, too, have joined the ranks of the 2016 ES CEL group. Will try to get the bike to a dealer tomorrow. I notice my cruise control is also inop. Anyone else have this? Fix one and get a twofer for free?
The cruise control is inoperable ANYTIME the check engine light is on. Reset it and the cruise will work again...

Have you ever considered checking and clearing the codes yourself? Or maybe crawling under the bike and ensuring that all the side stand mounting bolts are tight and that the switch is mounted snugly in it's proper position? Lots you can do on your own that's just common sense. And the best common sense move for any owner is to buy a service manual.
Based on prior reports where the dealership cleared the error and it never came back, It is clearly not a real error. There is nothing to fix besides clearing the codes. The 2016 is now OBD (like) and you can't clear the codes like all of the other years through the diAG screens because you can't get into the diaAG screens (which sucks).

It's under warranty, bring it in and let the dealership clear the code.

Just another reason a 2016 does not interest me in the slightest....well....another reason besides the color.
grin.gif
Thanks Fred, I did not realize that.

Yep, apparently not a real error. In the other cel thread, it was reported that the true error is not in the side stand circuit even though the ecu is recording it as such. Mine showed 87 events the first time, and another 85 events the second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.