The Broken Shock Shackle Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
After completing a five day trip to Jasper I have been busy doing some routine maintenance.

During the awesome May 2016 NW Tech event AuburnFJR rebuilt my front forks along with about 10 others. AuburnFJR is quite the wizard. Currently on vacation in Alaska where he and Beamer Reamer replaced a FJR rear tire using hand tools. Now your truly changes his own tires with a No Mar set up but it is still hard work.

On Memorial Day I hosted a mini tech day with men known as --G and Audiowize to adjust a tight #4 intake valve on my FJR. Big shout out to Audiowize for showing us how to pull the cam and his help with the valve adjustment. My contribution was to change Audiowize’s tires but they looked good.

While discussing the rear suspension with --G, his keen eye found the rear suspension shackle was broke in half.

IMG_20160531_103353.jpg

The situation is my trip to Red Lodge starts in 17 days. So we hatch a plan to remove and rebuild the shock and and obtain a new shackle.

On Tuesday morning I called GP Suspension in Auburn Washington, talked to Brisa and sent a photo of the broken shackle. Within 2 hours Brisa calls back to say Penske will replace the shackle free of charge. Further Penske says the shackle broke due to over torquing. A knowledgeable co-worker a the kite factory where I work said the same thing. This shackle was about 5 years old so a big shout out to GP Suspension and Penke - a free shackle far exceeded my expectations. Boo hiss to KFG racing who installed then later R&R’d the shock for service about 3 years ago.

Thursday morning the shackle arrives on my door as I paid for overnight shipping. Darn well worth it cause I am not taking chances.

On Saturday --G rebuilds the Penske shock and uses his black book to adjust the shock settings. A big shout out to --G. Men who keep black books with settings for shocks are men who have been married many a year! The make great friends too....

I get the shock installed on Saturday afternoon and change the engine oil. So after a tire change, valve adjustment, engine coolant change, throttle body sync, oil change and suspension rebuild it was time for a shake down ride.

And so it was the Broken Shackle ride report was born.

The Pacific Northwet was suffering a heat spell this past weekend with temps in the ‘90’s. Anything about 82 is enough to get the locals howling for cooler temps. To beat the heat and crowds I was off on the bike at 6:15 on Sunday morning heading to Enumclaw on Hwy 410 to Cayuse Pass for a 3 Pass Blast. Lucky sucker I am for living so close to wonderful mountain roads I have been frequenting since the 1960’s.

Just outside of Black Diamond, yes, there use to be coal mining there, I took this photo

IMG_3150.JPG

Gassing up in Enumclaw allows riding a 3 Pass Blast loop without fill up until returning to Enumclaw in about four hours or less.

My helmet at a scenic pullout on US 12 on the way to White Pass. Mt. Rainier is in the background. Not enough Mountain in the background.

IMG_3151.JPG

Mt. Rainier - aaaahhhh

IMG_3155.JPG

Imagine riding US 12 and coming around a turn and seeing this. This photo was shot in July 2006. The trees are taller now so the Mountain in your face affect is not the same, but I am quibbling here.

P7160008+%2528640x480%2529.jpg

So far the roads I have been on today have gave the suspension a good work out and have enough twist to scrub the tires in well.

The FJR and the Mountain in a high contrast photo. It was nice to be out early before the crowds appeared and the temps when up. But sometimes photography suffers.

IMG_3156.JPG

After White Pass and enjoying some more challenging pavement with mis-match surfaces due to hillside slippage, Hwy 12 joins Hwy 410 were I head for Chinook Pass following the Naches River.

Naches River

IMG_3159.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

Just west of Chinook Pass you will see this on a nice day.

IMG_3163.JPG

Tipsoo Lake is just starting to thaw on June 5, 2016.

IMG_3167.JPG

Tipsoo Lake July 2012.

IMG_9386+%2528640x427%2529.jpg

Tipsoo Lake August 2008.

IMG_1333+%2528640x427%2529.jpg

If you don't succeed try try again, so I did when I took this photo.

IMG_3169.JPG

On the way I ran in to the Washington State BMW club on a group ride. Their day was just starting, the temps rising and traffic getting thick. Instead of joining a ten bike group and running around Mt. Rainier I decided to head home. I think that was a good choice for traffic coming into the mountains was dense. I am looking forward to retirement when I can enjoy the area on weekdays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good report, great photos, and even better outcome of the broken shackle.

You live in a place so beautiful to ride.

That is a nice neighborhood you live it you lucky bastard.
smile.png

Good report, great photos, and even better outcome of the broken shackle. You live in a place so beautiful to ride.
Yes I am a lucky bastard living near so many scenic roads. Do do do looking out my back door.

And the folks I have met on this forum are awesome. With the help I have on the forum there is really no reason to take the FJR to a dealer for service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous riding area!

I can't count the times, and I can count fairly high, I've seen members here helping other members, or myself, and many going out of their way to do so.

Not only do I feel lucky to have chosen the FJR, but to have found this forum also.

Great RR and pics...awesome day for a ride! Glad I could provide the assist Fontanaman, Saturday was a fun day.

--G

After completing a five day trip to Jasper I have been busy doing some routine maintenance.

During the awesome May 2016 NW Tech event AuburnFJR rebuilt my front forks along with about 10 others. AuburnFJR is quite the wizard. Currently on vacation in Alaska where he and Beamer Reamer replaced a FJR rear tire using hand tools. Now your truly changes his own tires with a No Mar set up but it is still hard work.

On Memorial Day I hosted a mini tech day with men known as --G and Audiowize to adjust a tight #4 intake valve on my FJR. Big shout out to Audiowize for showing us how to pull the cam and his help with the valve adjustment. My contribution was to change Audiowize’s tires but they looked good.

While discussing the rear suspension with --G, his keen eye found the rear suspension shackle was broke in half.

IMG_20160531_103353.jpg

The situation is my trip to Red Lodge starts in 17 days. So we hatch a plan to remove and rebuild the shock and and obtain a new shackle.

On Tuesday morning I called GP Suspension in Auburn Washington, talked to Brisa and sent a photo of the broken shackle. Within 2 hours Brisa calls back to say Penske will replace the shackle free of charge. Further Penske says the shackle broke due to over torquing. A knowledgeable co-worker a the kite factory where I work said the same thing. This shackle was about 5 years old so a big shout out to GP Suspension and Penke - a free shackle far exceeded my expectations. Boo hiss to KFG racing who installed then later R&R’d the shock for service about 3 years ago.

Thursday morning the shackle arrives on my door as I paid for overnight shipping. Darn well worth it cause I am not taking chances.

On Saturday --G rebuilds the Penske shock and uses his black book to adjust the shock settings. A big shout out to --G. Men who keep black books with settings for shocks are men who have been married many a year! The make great friends too....

I get the shock installed on Saturday afternoon and change the engine oil. So after a tire change, valve adjustment, engine coolant change, throttle body sync, oil change and suspension rebuild it was time for a shake down ride.

And so it was the Broken Shackle ride report was born.

The Pacific Northwet was suffering a heat spell this past weekend with temps in the ‘90’s. Anything about 82 is enough to get the locals howling for cooler temps. To beat the heat and crowds I was off on the bike at 6:15 on Sunday morning heading to Enumclaw on Hwy 410 to Cayuse Pass for a 3 Pass Blast. Lucky sucker I am for living so close to wonderful mountain roads I have been frequenting since the 1960’s.

Just outside of Black Diamond, yes, there use to be coal mining there, I took this photo

IMG_3150.JPG

Gassing up in Enumclaw allows riding a 3 Pass Blast loop without fill up until returning to Enumclaw in about four hours or less.

My helmet at a scenic pullout on US 12 on the way to White Pass. Mt. Rainier is in the background. Not enough Mountain in the background.

IMG_3151.JPG

Mt. Rainier - aaaahhhh

IMG_3155.JPG

Imagine riding US 12 and coming around a turn and seeing this. This photo was shot in July 2006. The trees are taller now so the Mountain in your face affect is not the same, but I am quibbling here.

P7160008+%2528640x480%2529.jpg

So far the roads I have been on today have gave the suspension a good work out and have enough twist to scrub the tires in well.

The FJR and the Mountain in a high contrast photo. It was nice to be out early before the crowds appeared and the temps when up. But sometimes photography suffers.

IMG_3156.JPG

After White Pass and enjoying some more challenging pavement with mis-match surfaces due to hillside slippage, Hwy 12 joins Hwy 410 were I head for Chinook Pass following the Naches River.

Naches River

IMG_3159.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

Just west of Chinook Pass you will see this on a nice day.

IMG_3163.JPG

Tipsoo Lake is just starting to thaw on June 5, 2016.

IMG_3167.JPG

Tipsoo Lake July 2012.

IMG_9386+%2528640x427%2529.jpg

Tipsoo Lake August 2008.

IMG_1333+%2528640x427%2529.jpg

If you don't succeed try try again, so I did when I took this photo.

IMG_3169.JPG

On the way I ran in to the Washington State BMW club on a group ride. Their day was just starting, the temps rising and traffic getting thick. Instead of joining a ten bike group and running around Mt. Rainier I decided to head home. I think that was a good choice for traffic coming into the mountains was dense. I am looking forward to retirement when I can enjoy the area on weekdays.
It is quite different.

That's one bad ass helmet. Me likes!!!
lmaosmiley.gif

Dave
It is a HJC FG-17 my first budget bucket. Before I was an Aria or Shoei guy. The HJC FG-17 is a very good helmet so says Web Bike World. What do I think of the bucket? It is very nice. Good air flow, great fit and super price, plus is has fiberglass composite shell in place of the polycarbonate shells found on most HJC buckets. Poly carb is bad, composite layup is good.

Nice!

Sooze and I rode 410 from Yakima to Seattle in 2010, including a stop or two for pictures of Mt. Rainier. That's an incredibly beautiful area!