Cherohala/US129 day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Spent all day riding to and on the skyway and the Dragon. The variety of bikes and friendliness of folks was notable. Observed one crash by some sort of scooter with tires the size of cantaloupes (they were everywhere, wtf are these?). Worked another where a seasoned gentleman and his girlfriend crashed on a metric cruiser. Had one break (lower leg) possibly one additional higher. Girlfriend was just scraped. As much as I deride squids, 4 young men on sport bikes immediately set up traffic control that was on par with folks in my line of work. No flashy stuff, just working to effectively allow safe traffic both ways while we worked on a guy we couldn't move from the roadway. Top notch local kids. Guys going to be okay. But I'm sure it's sucking tonight for him. Ride safe.

I forgot to mention- going out, a full size tractor trailer had wandered into the thick of 129 and got caught up like a camel in razor wire. Estimate was 4-5 hours to clear. Barely enough room to squeeze by without going off the road. Not so good for cars. I go to the dragon about four times a year. Two of those visits are usually in the winter, when I'm the only one there. Never more than a scrape before, and despite many tales of tractor trailer trucks getting too far in to back up and getting seriously stuck trying to push through, this was my first time seeing one myself. Before noon is a much more peaceful time on this stretch of road most days.

I thought it was now illegal for big trucks to traverse that section of 129, but maybe I'm wrong (or they just ignore the signs)

I thought so too. Last time I looked into it, it was illegal and posted from one side, and folks were up in arms because the other state wouldn't follow suit. Can't remember which was the progressive state, NC or TN.

The signs are on both sides. NC limits trailers to 30 feet and TN limits overall vehicle to 30 feet...go figure.

The motorcycles with small tires and wheels are probably "Groms". The Honda 125cc Grom is a hoot to ride and there are a lot of them down there.

Heading there myself this week. I'll ride it early and late, but during the day, I prefer riding elsewhere..

I always suspected that the total lack of drama relatively light traffic I've experienced over the years on 129 were from avoiding midday riding there, and a bit of luck.

You must have been there about the same time as me. I was there Thursday through Sunday. I witnessed the Semi getting stuck blocking traffic. The truck dropped off the road and slid into the guardrail. The driver had no phone, spoke no english, and didn't want anyone's help. He just sat there. I told the store and they called the police. Here's a picture of it.

20160611_133117_zps48zoanr9.jpg

Not just on 129.. my plan to start my trip with lunch in Telico last week was nixed by the same thing happening on 68 just a few miles South of my destination. Up in those hills, there are very few alternate routes.

Spent all day riding to and on the skyway and the Dragon. The variety of bikes and friendliness of folks was notable. Observed one crash by some sort of scooter with tires the size of cantaloupes (they were everywhere, wtf are these?). Worked another where a seasoned gentleman and his girlfriend crashed on a metric cruiser. Had one break (lower leg) possibly one additional higher. Girlfriend was just scraped. As much as I deride squids, 4 young men on sport bikes immediately set up traffic control that was on par with folks in my line of work. No flashy stuff, just working to effectively allow safe traffic both ways while we worked on a guy we couldn't move from the roadway. Top notch local kids. Guys going to be okay. But I'm sure it's sucking tonight for him. Ride safe.
Looks like we just missed you!! Maybe next time, I only saw a couple FJRs on our whole trip. I also noticed the big-wheel low-slung scooters (not grom bikes), but like raked out scooters. Couple 4-strokes and 2-strokes. Only witnessed one wreck, Miata vs Accord head on south of Fontana Village on 28. Luckily some locals were doing traffic control as that stretch is one of my fav's. One gixxer in the guardrail up on the hill, but no serious injuries. And yes, late evenings and early mornings are when I make my runs up the hill, anywhere in between and I'm elsewhere...unless you're just there for a beer and the circus show.

Ride Report

Just got back myself. Had a nice week with family. Sadly, due to battery issues, weather issues and my family not being able to plan for crap, I only got out one day on the DRZ, but I had a blast. I also found out that my wife's Honda Accord stock suspension is pretty darn good as the limiting factor in it's cornering ability was the stomachs inside the vehicle.
biggrin.png