Distance Riding Improvements?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drkrider

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I had the pleasure of riding to Skyline Drive in Virgina yesterday with a few other riders. They were on F6B's, Harley's and late model BMW touring motorcycles. Total trip from my home in Maryland was about 300 miles. We stopped numerous times for gas, bathroom breaks and once for lunch. Weather was nice, but it did get into the 90's by midday. Now (today), I feel like I did a whole body workout...lol. I'm not exactly sore, but I definitely feel like I did something. Shoulders, low back, legs mostly.. Took 2 Alleve and had a beer last night...slept great but if I had to do it again today, I wonder if I'd enjoy it half as much due to the fatigue.

Here's my setup;

Corbin seat

Standard Windshield (low position most of the trip, due to heat)

"Heat out" compression shirt and shorts under clothes and riding gear

Earplugs

Full Face helmet

Highway pegs (used occasionally during the trip)

MV Riser...pull back handlebars

I'm planning on taking multiple day longer trips (500+ miles) in the future but I'm concerned fatigue may get the better of me the next day.

Any suggestions on what I could improve? I realize the answer may be "nothing" other than practice but I'd figure I'd ask anyway...

Drkrider

https://s1378.photobucket.com/user/Drkrider/media/image_zpsd9yhjnw5.jpeg.html?filters[user]=145254974&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Last edited by a moderator:
Corbin seatStandard Windshield (low position most of the trip, due to heat)

"Heat out" compression shirt and shorts under clothes and riding gear

Earplugs

Full Face helmet

Highway pegs (used occasionally during the trip)

MV Riser...pull back handlebars
Russell seat

Tall windshield to give clean air flow around you to reduce fatigue

hydration system if you don't regularly stop

GPS to keep fatigue away as you get angry at its performance
wink.png

cruise control (not a throttle lock)

tank bag that mounts with a locking ring for convenient access to the little bits like gloves, glasses, sun glasses, etc.

music is a personal choice

SPOT for your family or friends

ICE information

As others add more stuff like a tool kit, tire repair, air pump, flash light etc. you will end up shopping for a trailer too
laugh.png

+1 on the RDL (Russell Day Long) Simply the BEST

Here are the IBA Tips: AOW Listing (Archive of Wisdom)

As it sounds like you want physical advice:

Things I have learned:

Change your seating position: I use highway pegs only to stretch, but use passenger pegs often.

Avoid stress and try to relax

I like to ride knees bent and toe the foot pegs, moving the feet to various spots on the pegs.

Keep Hydrated

Avoid greasy foods while riding

Ride often- Your body will adjust to riding. I know that sounds funny, but my 1st year long distance I had wrist pain and needed a cramp buster for long

distance. (Highly Recommend carrying one $10) After 2 years I did not need it.

Corbins are known as BRICKS, very few riders can do long distance on them. (The riders that can… could probably ride a stock seat)

Get your out-of-shape butt to a gym.Join Planet Fitness for $10 a month

and make an appointment with their trainer.

Target everything that hurts.

Keep going till it stops hurting.
I would say this would help, but study the top riders physiques in the IBR.

I swear there is an advantage to having a "Gut", as you can rest forward on it.
punk.gif
DAMHIK

Seriously though being in shape helps, but even muscles in good shape fatigue.

Ride often- Your body will adjust to riding. I know that sounds funny, but my 1st year long distance I had wrist pain and needed a cramp buster for long

distance. (Highly Recommend carrying one $10) After 2 years I did not need it.
This ^^^^...you need to be in riding shape, both mind and body to be comfortable on the bike. Put some miles in and you'll notice the improvement!

--G

Work on your core. I have found working on my core even with a gut has reduced back pain and allowed for greater distances. Hydration and decent nutrition help as well. Rides that I plan meticulously seem to go smoother than the seat of the pants rides. I have felt better after a 1000 mile day than I did on a local RTE to meet a buddy where I rode less than 200 miles.

Work on your core. I have found working on my core even with a gut has reduced back pain and allowed for greater distances. Hydration and decent nutrition help as well. Rides that I plan meticulously seem to go smoother than the seat of the pants rides. I have felt better after a 1000 mile day than I did on a local RTE to meet a buddy where I rode less than 200 miles.
Very well said JSaul. I also do core exercises daily and my back has never felt better at 57.

....and then as the late, great BeemerDonS would have said, Just man up and ride.

Seriously though, the more you do it the easier it will become but definately work on core strength.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I forgot to mention,... I do have a GPS, a Sena, and a throttlemeister (not cruise cruise control..I'm on a Gen 2). A tank bag is an easy farkle to grab.

@101stpathfinder....when you say "use passenger footrests often"..what exactly do you mean?..bend your legs/knees to reach them?..u mean use them as a 3rd foot option? (If so, never considered..thanks)

@Ionbeam - I've debated about getting a larger screen...I guess after the replies ...the debate is over...VStream or does it matter?

I got the Corbin seat with the bike...it feels pretty good, but admittedly I've never sat on a Russell day long so I don't know how much better things can be. Guess I better start saving $$ for one of those...Luckily, I have the original stock seat still.

And lastly, the exercise suggestions...@SLK50. I'm in decent shape, but yes...I do need to work out more (No gut, BTW). I've let things go a little over the winter. Obviously, I must not be in riding shape and I worked some "new" muscles.

If you’re looking to add to comfort for your butt, consider a pair of these https://motoskiveez.com/

I've been using the adventure style for over a year and am about to try out the cruiser style (the manufacturer says the two styles are fairly interchangeable, depending on where your butt gets sore).

I use them under Kevlar jeans. They feel bulky when you first put them on but you get used to them. They don't add extra heat (like another non-padded brand that I tried) and are stretchy to keep the jewels comfortable.

I've had very positive experience with this underwear and they add two hours of comfort to my day (I'm using Laam seats). They would probably work very well with the firm Corbin.

May not help with your back, arms, etc but everything is connected and every little bit helps.

... I wonder if I'd enjoy it half as much due to the fatigue ...
... I'm planning on taking multiple day longer trips (500+ miles) in the future but I'm concerned fatigue may get the better of me the next day.

Any suggestions on what I could improve? I realize the answer may be "nothing" other than practice DIET but I'd figure I'd ask anyway...
I'll chime in as others have said ... but with emphasis: Diet is the single biggest factor in helping your stamina .... and not just for motorcycling.

Eliminating processed foods and sugars from your diet will vastly improve your health and strength. Eating right (and exercise) before and during long riding days vastly improves the enjoyment of the ride! Doctors and medical professionals show direct correlation of diet, exercise, and frequency of illness and disease (and I'd be willing to hazard a guess ---> motorcycling enjoyment).

I'm no LD rider but I can say that riding often will help your core strength and that makes a big difference to how long I can ride without regretting it the next day.

I can say that the Russell seat is a class above the Corbin. I've had them all (on my 01 and 07 FZ1s) and the Russell is by far the best. That said my FJR came with a Laam seat and I've spent all day on it without complaint so I'm not going to consider changing it for now.

Coming from semi-naked bikes, the screen protection on the FJR is a blessing on the highway. I never realised how much fatigue you get from the air blasting on your upper torso. Find a position that works for you. There's still airflow with it fully raised. Perhaps a lighter mesh jacket?

Interesting comments on diet. I would agree. I changed our diet, simply eliminating processed and canned food, buying fresh every day. I lost 40lbs in a few months with no other changes, and feel very healthy despite being heavier than I would like. I still drink (too much)..

Man, is it really this difficult? Drkrider, if you haven't ridden this bike much and you suddenly threw in a 200-300 mile day, you're gonna be sore. Muscles you haven't really worked got worked. My first weekend home after I got my FJR, I was sore from the new riding position. Know what I changed? Nothing. I rode more and my body adjusted.

I rode around 50k miles with the OEM windshield. Never really had a problem. I've ridden 60k on the OEM seat. Then I bought a Lamm off a guy and tried that. Guess what...after the first ride, my legs were sore, due to the change in the riding position. I'm gonna use this seat to go to Montana next week. If it hurts me the whole time, I'll sell it. If it works out great, then YAY, I made a good buy.

BTW, I really like my new windshield, but I get less air at low speeds, and when it's hot, that's an important event. I have never undertood the guys who buy motorcycles and then bitch about the wind. That's like jumping in the pool and bitching about getting wet.

Being in good shape helps you be less fatigued. It will do nothing for being sore after you change something up. My bet is, you're fine, you just need to get used to the bike. IF you continue to pile on miles and you continue to be sore, THEN, something is up. Riding once every two weeks is NOT enough to prevent soreness after a longer than usual ride.

Relax....Have fun, and don't go spend a bunch of money on shit you don't need, just because some guys on the Internet told you it was necessary. All my not always humble opinion, of course.

@101stpathfinder....when you say "use passenger footrests often"..what exactly do you mean?..bend your legs/knees to reach them?..u mean use them as a 3rd foot option? (If so, never considered..thanks)
I like to ride with my toes on the foot pegs. Some times for a change I will lean on my tank bag and use the passenger pegs.

Another position I like for back pain is right hand on the throttle and left hand on the left thigh (Palm out) which helps support my back.

keep riding, for me it seems most pain is in the spring when I began my long rides. By mid summer the pain subsides somewhat.

Taking a rest on a picnic table laying down at a rest stop can do wonders for me.

Wow, great advice here. Makes sense that we can get used to most things if we just it give time to adjust. That said, I have just enough tech nerd in me to appreciate a little bit of technology here and there, while It is no replacement for mind over matter, certain aids can help ld riding imo. One of the items I added to my '04 was electronic cruise control. I put an aftermarket Rostra on and it made a world of difference for me. No more straining the throttle grip to maintain speed, just steady and maintained, uphill or down.

If you're hurting, it's the bike or rider conditioning, IMHO. Poor posture/slumping will cause back pain, and is to be avoided, but bad ergos are just bad ergos. I use quality modular or regular full face helmets, for noise/wind fatigue mitigation, and because I like my face. I use a Yamaha sport touring shield in the summer, cee bailey big screen when it's cold. Helibars cranked one stop forward of all-the-way-back. Still keeps slight forward lean, which enhances control and leaves the bars slightly wider than stock. I replaced the stock seat with the Yamaha comfort seat. I love it- but it's hard. It has the saddle contour the original was supposed to, and it's covered in leather-like vinyl, like a motorcycle seat should be, instead of the Dodge Neon seat fabric the stock comes with. Peg lowering brackets from MCL. Not necessary unless you have superhero legs. Stock, my calves are crammed into my thighs like I'm riding Secretariat. Grip Buddies, not necessary but they feel great. On my last bike, I did not need to add or change anything (except the grip buddies). I say that just to make the point that- I don't like having to buy stuff to make a ride comfortable. I generally prefer stock. In this particular case, it's a necessary evil to make a super reliable, capable machine comfortable for me to ride all day long. I can ride from before dawn to well after dark, feel great, and wake up the next morning feeling great and ready to do it again. I should point out that some folks don't find many or any of these mods necessary and still go long without difficulty. I suspect they are smaller than me, or perhaps just more tolerant of a sportbike's wind protection and ergonomics than I am. YMMV. Good luck.

6'3", 205 lbs, stock everything, stock bars rotated to front position. Stock seat foam would be just right with about 30% more firmness. Like Tony (101st), I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, but change foot position often on long rides. Have done several 700 mile days, and one 940 mile day. That's small potatoes compared to all the long distance studs on this forum. So far, they've all given you great advice, and I can only repeat what has already been pointed out.

The biggest improvement for me was purchasing a Camelbak. It made long days (especially HOT long days) at least 50% easier. It really is huge, being able to have a drink of ice cold water whenever you want. I fill mine with ice water, put it in a garbage bag, wrap a towel around it for insulation, and put it in my expanded tank bag. It stays cold all day.

And yes, ride it. A lot. Your pain will probably disappear.

Latest posts