The "Parking" Key Position in Gen III. Useful?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
For the third time in about two months of ownership I came back to my parked Gen III today (after owning two Gen I's) to find the damn taillights and front markers burning. Damn. Left the key in that "P" position. I'm used to cranking the key over to "Locked" and leaving it fairly secure, and don't really want to have to double check which of the two very close-together key positions I've left it in. What benefit is there from being able to leave your bike with these lights burning? Seriously, who finds this useful?

It reminds me of the great feature Gen I's had of automatically retracting the windshield on turning the key off--something most everyone soon disabled. No benefit I could ever see, and lots of extra wear on the windshield motor. I see this "P" feature as equally valueless. Does anybody really USE it, and able to explain the value it adds? I'd really love to know. If I hadn't noticed it, I could have left the lights on all night--or until the battery was completely dead. How's that a good thing again?

Can this be disabled like the auto-retract? Has anybody done that?

Last edited by a moderator:
My kraut bike had this feature, but it wasn't key actuated. I wonder if it's a European thing.

I have never understood the real use for the parking lights feature, and I have not read any regulations relating to their use.

Seen it on many bikes and also killed my battery on occasion
uhoh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Yamaha engineers think everything. We didn't even know we needed a kill the battery and end your trip position on the ignition switch. What amazing times we live in.

My '79 Yammy SR500 had the same "feature"...compared to the FJR, it's battery was about AA-sized. But then again it didn't have an electric starter.

In the same category as forgetting to unplug my jacket before walking away. Now I've got two things to be aware of before I walk away! It does help to keep the brain active.

Motorcycles don't need any safety features, regardless of their usefulness, because all motorcyclists have vastly

superior intelligence and always use the utmost care and

consideration for their safety as well as others.

You can see evidence of this everyday on highways all

across America.

( Pulling tongue out of cheek. )

In some places it's required for a vehicle parked on the street to have a light active. On cars, it's often enabled by putting the turn signal into that position (i.e. if parked on the right, put on left turn signal so the projecting corners of the vehicle are lit.)

You could probably disable it by removing a wire or two for the contacts in the ignition switch.