'06 won't start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickpetrus

Reaction score
Returned from a 4000k trip to Vermont and parked the bike. It ran perfect for the whole trip. Left it alone for a day. Went to start it but it wouldn't start. Turns over really well but wouldn't start. Opened the gas cap, tried again and it fired up. Took a short drive and it ran fine. Parked it again, waited an hour and same thing, no go until I open the gas cap. Is my vent plugged?

Could well be.

My mates Gen 1 had exactly the same issue.

Turned out to be a clogged fuel valve on the emissions prior to the canister.

It happened to be a Californian import into Australia.

Also make sure the right screws go back into the proper locations on the fuel cap ring.

Easy to check the vent system.

As an update, I blew out the rubber grommetted hole and the mated vent hole in the cap. Today it started and ran perfect everytime. However I did find the gas cap maintenance thread, which I'm going to act on. Thanks for your help. Fingers crossed....

Further update....thanks to Fred W. 's post on removing the ball bearing out of the gas cap and the key interlock. Things have been fine since cleaning the tank top and doing Fred's modification. Happy to hear my Hindle once more!

Latest posts