The One That Got Away

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Damn. I'm heartbroken. I was destined to have this FJR. But I didn't get it.

Damn. I'm relieved. I already have four FJRs. I really don't need another one.

One of my FJRS, the 2nd of 8 I purchased back in 2006 - a 2004 A model has not led an easy life as of late. After two wrecks in 2014 it sat until this past March. I have been slowly giving it some much needed TLC. So I have put 5500 miles on it since March. I thought I was ready to move on from Gen I FJRs as the new one's are so refined, but I have really been enjoying riding it. It touches my soul. And I REALLY love that Cerulean Silver. It just looks perfect on an FJR to me.

But my poor Hula Girl 2004 FJR is not well. Lots of small issues. Every time I fix two, another arises. And at 153,000 now it is burning oil at a quart every 2k miles. I hate putting money into a well worn out bike. So thinking she may not last a whole lot longer, every once in a while the desire to get a fresher example arises.

So I came across the Craigslist ad for this beauty: https://wv.craigslist.org/mcy/5571860287.html

An absolutely pristine 2004 with 3500 miles on it for only $5,100. I emailed only to find out it had been sold a week earlier.

00i0i_55F8B0KhDgZ_1200x900.jpg

And making it even sadder, I had some small history with this specific FJR. Back in 2010 when I totaled my first FJR - a 2004 with 226,000 miles this one was listed on Craigslist. I contacted the owner at the time and he wasn't sure he wanted to sell and I found another low mile example closer to home instead. Over the years we have had occasional contact via email. But apparently it wasn't to be.

Part of me is relieved, but part of me is so sad knowing I missed out on what has got to me one of the last examples of a pristine 2004 FJR and for a reasonable price even.

My first FJR was almost a 2004. Summer of 2014. Craigslist ad. 24,000 miles, the guy was asking $4500. He asked me to come look at it at the same time he had scheduled another potential buyer. I stood by and watched while the owner pitched the guy. I wasn't going to start a bidding war. The guy bought it. Right in front of me. I was not exactly happy about it, but in hindsight, I got lucky. I'm sure if I had bought it, I would have fallen in love with it, and that would have been enough. 4 months later I stumbled into a deeply discounted brand spanking new 2014.

I never got to ride the 2004, but I can only imagine that my 2014 is a more refined, better equipped bike.

Sometimes it's ok when one gets away.

The '04 color is very nice, I agree. The blue in the grey is very good on the eyes.

Scooter - the 1st step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Part of me hopes you never get to step 1.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I just scored an 04 with 12k on it for a friend of mine. Lots of farkles and a RDL for 3500.00.

I'll give you a nickle and some small change for your old one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful motorcycles are in some ways like beautiful girlfriends. Some relationships just don't happen. Then you are left with a lifetime of "what if".

The first FJR I ever saw was an '04. I thought at the time that it was the classiest, most sophisticated and most beautiful motorcycle of that era. I still feel that way.

Beautiful motorcycles are in some ways like beautiful girlfriends. Some relationships just don't happen. Then you are left with a lifetime of "what if".
The first FJR I ever saw was an '04. I thought at the time that it was the classiest, most sophisticated and most beautiful motorcycle of that era. I still feel that way.
I FREAKING KNEW IT!! I quoted you too, so u can never take it back and say my bike is not the best color ever!! Yes!!! I have proof forever!!! Today is a great day!! All is right in the world!! I feel so vindicated after all those horrible things that came out of your mouth regarding colors of bikes. Lol.

So does this ALSO mean that your ass-fault black is not your favorite either??? By default, it also makes all your comments about Joey's pink bike null in void. Wait til Joey reads this. Ah, I am going to bed now!! The day can have no better ending! Haha.

Good night. That is all!

Teacher you must read the entire sentence and comprehend all of it. The words "of that era" are also there.

Truly, there has never been a (factory) color that did not look good on the FJR. In 2004 I was "shopping" for a motorcycle having been on 4 wheels for almost 10 years and wanting to get back in the game. At that time there was no way I could afford an FJR or anything close to it. The FJR in that Cerulean Silver paint looked like the motorcycle equivalent of a high end Lexus. It was the Perfect Color for the Perfect Bike.

Just my twisted opinion here but I think certain year model and color combinations define certain motorcycles and automobiles. Ferraris, Ducatis, and Corvettes are supposed to be red. That is just how it is even though they look good in other colors.

The Defining Color for FJRs by Generation:

Gen 1: '04 Cerulean Silver

Gen 2: '07 Black Cherry

Gen 3: '14 Candy Red

Again, that is just my goofy opinion. But if I were in the market for a Gen 1, it would be a 2004.