torn between 2 evils.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnkrkr4lif

Reaction score
I have a 07 with K&N filter and delcavic exhaust. Also have the PAIR system gone. I have a PC-V installed and absolutely love how smooth the bike is now, it's night and day difference of not having one. What I'm trying to decide is do I keep a smooth running bike and loose the gas mileage or do I keep the chopping throttle and surging but keep the good gas mileage....... the current map I am using is from PC themselves and is for K&N and 2brothers exhaust

My '07 was bought slightly used (12,000 mi) with aftermarket exhaust, K&N filter and PC-III. I removed the PAIR shortly after I got the bike. The Power Commander was dyno-tuned by the original owner.

I changed the exhaust back to stock because I didn't like the noise; especially on longer rides.

I changed back to the OEM filter; mostly because of what I read about the fact that the K&N does not retain particulates as well.

Neither of these changes made ANY perceptible change in power or torque.

The crappy fuel mileage was starting to piss me off so I ended out removing the Power Commander. Fuel mileage improved by almost 20% and, again, there was no change in available power that I could detect. (I really like the extended tank range, not to mention the saving in expenditure for fuel.) Also hated being the first one to run out of gas when riding with other FJR folks. The throttle became somewhat more abrupt without the PC but I got used to it pretty quickly. (No question that it was smoother with the PC) I never had any problem with surging either before or after.

I have almost 150,000 miles on the bike now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The crappy fuel mileage was starting to piss me off so I ended out removing the Power Commander. Fuel mileage improved by almost 20% and, again, there was no change in available power that I could detect. (I really like the extended tank range, not to mention the saving in expenditure for fuel.) Also hated being the first one to run out of gas when riding with other FJR folks. The throttle became somewhat more abrupt without the PC but I got used to it pretty quickly. (No question that it was smoother with the PC) I never had any problem with surging either before or after.
Ross, did the same thing on my '06'.

My 07 never had surge issues, but off idle first and second gear it would come on to hard. A PC III and the modified G2 throttle tubed helped. Lost a little mileage but not to bad. Certainly not 20% unless I'm dragging the Bushtech and then I still don't think it's 20%.

My 07 never had surge issues, but off idle first and second gear it would come on to hard. A PC III and the modified G2 throttle tubed helped. Lost a little mileage but not to bad. Certainly not 20% unless I'm dragging the Bushtech and then I still don't think it's 20%.
As I mentioned, the previous owner had the stuff installed and then Dynotuned. I suspect his object was maximum power at the expense of a hard hit on mileage. The mileage difference was actually measured at right around 20% after I removed the PC-III. (I don't think he got as much power as he thought - I certainly didn't notice a significant change after but I didn't dyno it or take it to a dragstrip to find out for sure.

Power commander changed the map a little then sent it to me. So when I get home i will upload the new map and give it a shot

My 07 AE was terrible before compared to after the smoothness mods. I didn't notice any difference really in mpg to make me even think about going back.

Yea, traffic is pretty easy with the AE.
biggrin.png

I found myself similarly situated with my 2006. I acquired a PC-V and installed the gen II wally smoothness map. It definately took away much of the low RPM buzz and smoothed out throttle response. But I found the fuel consumption increased more than I was happy with. So I rolled my own map. I started with the smoothness map and began little by little backing down the regions in which it enriched the mixture. When it started to buzz a little more than I liked, I went back to the previous, slightly richer map. I like the way the bike runs, and the fuel economy hit is maybe 2MPG.

For rollon smoothness, add a value to the 0% throttle column of the fuel map from idle up to 3000RPM. Think I am using +5. Along with a G2, this map makes throttle tip-in remarkably smooth.

My $0.02, and not worth that much....

I found myself similarly situated with my 2006. I acquired a PC-V and installed the gen II wally smoothness map. It definately took away much of the low RPM buzz and smoothed out throttle response. But I found the fuel consumption increased more than I was happy with. So I rolled my own map. I started with the smoothness map and began little by little backing down the regions in which it enriched the mixture. When it started to buzz a little more than I liked, I went back to the previous, slightly richer map. I like the way the bike runs, and the fuel economy hit is maybe 2MPG.
For rollon smoothness, add a value to the 0% throttle column of the fuel map from idle up to 3000RPM. Think I am using +5. Along with a G2, this map makes throttle tip-in remarkably smooth.

More than I know how to do, I just run the map my PC came with.

the modified G2 throttle tubed helped. Lost a little mileage but not to bad. Certainly not 20% unless I'm dragging the Bushtech and then I still don't think it's 20%.

My 07 AE was terrible before compared to after the smoothness mods. I didn't notice any difference really in mpg to make me even think about going back.
I condensed these two posts but my experience matches this ^^^.

I think it depends on which map you are running, or rather how the map is set up. Dad's map is for Smoothness not power. He did lose some efficiency but certainly nowhere near 20%.

Also, as Panman mentioned the G2 Ergonomics Throttle Tamer throttle tube is the finishing touch to smoothing the power delivery on the '06 and '07. Yamaha made the pulley on the throttle body end elliptical for some strange reason for those two years and this gadget effectively reverses that, restoring a linear response.

Also, any mileage lost after a throttle tube install shouldn't be blamed on the throttle tube, it's likely due to your wrist.
biggrin.png

Not hard to do if you have a lap top, just time consuming. I merged two maps and tweaked individual cells to my liking. I average about 40 mpg and have seen up to 46 mpg. I've tried running without the PC but the throttle is just not as smooth. On the other hand, I've tried several pre-made maps that were bad in their own way which is why I ended up with my own map.

Not hard to do if you have a lap top, just time consuming. I merged two maps and tweaked individual cells to my liking. I average about 40 mpg and have seen up to 46 mpg. I've tried running without the PC but the throttle is just not as smooth. On the other hand, I've tried several pre-made maps that were bad in their own way which is why I ended up with my own map.
Do you mind sharing your map?

Do you mind sharing your map?
I don't have it handy but you can do this: Edit the map you are using, from the 5 to 20% throttle range and 2500-5000 rpm, drop all the positive numbers in each cell by 3. This will help the fuel mileage a little and you should not feel any difference in smoothness/performance. If you are a hot shoe and wring it's neck all the time you ride, well... no map tweaking will help the fuel mileage.
tonguesmiley.gif

Every time I see this thread title the film Master & Commander comes to mind........

In 1805, aboard the H.M.S. Surprise, the brash Captain Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) and his trusted friend, the ship's scholarly surgeon, Stephen Maturin (Paul Bettany), are ordered to hunt down and capture a powerful French vessel off the South American coast. Though Napoleon is winning the war and the men and their crew face an onslaught of obstacles, including their own internal battles, "Lucky Jack" is determined that nothing will stop the Surprise from completing its mission.

The Captain and Surgeon are having a discussion after dinner. The Captain points to two weevils on his plate and asks the Surgeon which one he would choose. The surgeon replies that he has no idea but would probably pick the larger of the two. The Captain replies that would be wrong because the Naval Manual clearly states that when faced with a difficult situation "you must always choose the lesser of two evils"