Gen 1 Canyon Cages

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makkat

Reaction score
Cages are supposed to show up on Monday, anybody have any details on a 2003 install?
I have MCL lowering brackets for the rider and passenger and want to make sure there aren't any clearance issues.

I'm subscribing to this thread. I heard that they started making these recently, and I've been meaning to pick up a set.

I started with the bag protectors as I needed to figure out what rear pegs I would be using.

20160621_193733_zpspbtzzrj2.jpg

We had kept the air foil/pegs off the old cruiser and put them on since the stock pegs were too small and my wife couldn't get comfortable after an hour trip.

bb8f958c-9b1b-4723-a7d3-0b3d4617a585_zpsvro24ach.jpg

The bag protector installation was pretty straight forward, just had to remove and replace the muffler and rear footpeg bolts.

8a483d4e-cfdf-431a-9264-52a048548d87_zpsvawiqaut.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic but the bag protectors do not leave a lot of room for the passengers foot, basically just a boot heel on the stock peg with the back of the foot on the bar.

9e45a942-8fda-4586-a104-2ddb841047bd_zpskpuyscyn.jpg

Adding a set of MCL lowering brackets seems to be enough room for the passenger, have to go on a longer trip to see if the drop helps with comfort also.

Encountered two issues with the install:

2ba3a017-066e-49a2-8c14-3dcb71596def_zpskja9ru2s.jpg

Powerlet bracket had to be rotated which puts the wires kind of exposed. I have yet to use this location so I may end up removing it anyway.

Second issue was interference between the lowering brackets and the Remus exhaust. Had to re-position the cans as low as possible and I think the springs still barely rub on the brackets. Will have to take it on a test run to see if there is an issue.

Today the cages.

Hardest/scariest part was removing the lower fairings for the first time.

17f293a2-fcfc-47dc-9d5f-e54f00327fba_zpsezittssf.jpg

As others have said, the rear engine mount nut was on the right side instead of the left.

66b467ac-9d68-43b1-b4d5-2326173cb083_zpsst4ywslv.jpg

Pretty straight forward install per the instructions, new rear engine mount.

e644eb7b-d362-427c-9de7-4df53e6ba956_zpspu9lbuyl.jpg

New front motor mount bolts and cage mounting plate.

d5022e49-cd4c-4046-ae11-a7af96a7703d_zps1creqaxv.jpg

And everything back together.

e72a901f-85d8-4727-8f23-5b453067aed2_zps4ngebyfc.jpg

Only issue I had was the instructions tell you to re-install the lower fairings and leave the lower bolts loose. The front cage mount could not be torqued with the panels on so I had to unbolt them to gain access.

I didn't take a picture but there is padding on the inside of the lower fairing panels that now pushes the panels away from the tank/frame. I think this is caused by the front mounting plates and need to look and see if I can remove it to get rid of the gap.

The left side fairing can be removed easily but the cage goes through the right side so removing the cage is required .

Wow that is awesome! I really like that! I didn't realize they were available for Gen 1's either. Can i be so rude as to ask what they set you back? I put a powerlet in that same location and haven't used mine yet either! LOL Very nicely done on the install!
specool.gif

Wow that is awesome! I really like that! I didn't realize they were available for Gen 1's either. Can i be so rude as to ask what they set you back? I put a powerlet in that same location and haven't used mine yet either! LOL Very nicely done on the install!
specool.gif
They are the only ones I found for a Gen 1, T-Rex and the others start with Gen II.

I missed the group buy so they were $450 shipped.

Added more pics, got a little dark last night.

Right side

5a89b0ef-32f6-4907-881f-ae2eceefd72f_zpswttvxtlg.jpg

PO had frame sliders installed but the right side was stripped and they put an M8 bolt in. Anybody know of a stock looking bolt? The local hardware store had something close but not quite right.

Left side gap is bigger than the right.

84314b21-51ef-4c0a-9c1c-e52987a0e16b_zpsieawzsb3.jpg

Right

19720247-768c-42e8-9d20-e330e1196874_zpslrl3gsrj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary note on the Canyon Cages, the PO laid it down on a shoulder and cracked one of the "winglet" at the bottom of the fairing. I have never had them installed so I do not know how they fit/interfere with the cages.

Makkat, re the Powerlet plug.

The working part of the plug can be spun 180 degrees's (or whatever you need) to hide the wires.

Just loosen the nut. There is a drain hole in the Powerlet (very small, barely visible)

so try to keep that facing down..

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have to toftt and see if these will fit and not interfere with my penske reservoir.

Once you have lowered the pillion foot pegs their heel is very near the exhaust pipe. Does anyone have a solution for that maybe some form of heat shield?

I may have to toftt and see if these will fit and not interfere with my penske reservoir.
Let me know what measurements you need and I will try to get them for you.

Once you have lowered the pillion foot pegs their heel is very near the exhaust pipe. Does anyone have a solution for that maybe some form of heat shield?
MCL used to make a shield but the website says they only work with the stock pipe and have been sold out for a while.

https://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=183