the cricket goes to CA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedcricket

You have whiskey?
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm heading to CA (Oakland/Bay Area) from the omahell area in a week. The trek starts June 25th in the early morning hours (2am departure) to avoid the heat I anticipate along the route.

Yes, slabbing it. Not being much of a tourist on the route out there or back. One stop in WY along the route for an overnight stay. I don't need a BBG and I already have a BB certificate.

I'm heading to an IT conference Monday through Thursday. My manager lives out there and we'll be on a ride Friday or Saturday (or both).

I'm hopeful that this, my second trip out to CA, will be just as fun. :)

Ride cheerfully.
thumbsup.gif

I'd take the long way. Smell some flowers while you're there.

Good to get out of Omahell every now and then I reckon..
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ride cheerfully.
thumbsup.gif

smile.png
You're not kidding. However, looking at the forecasts along the route, the coolest temps are 89 or so, in Wyoming. The rest are in the high 90s. So, the plan is still to leave at 2am. Pics won't turn out well until 3.5hrs later, and I won't even be out of NE by then. I hope to be chilling at a hotel by 4pm, rest up and start at midnight Sunday morning/night to continue.

If you've never ridden on I-80 in western NE let me paint you a mental image. Go stare at grass on a flat piece of land. For a more realistic image, find a patch of nearly dead grass.

I know the better scenery starts west of Cheyenne.

Ride cheerfully.
thumbsup.gif

smile.png
You're not kidding. However, looking at the forecasts along the route, the coolest temps are 89 or so, in Wyoming. The rest are in the high 90s. So, the plan is still to leave at 2am. Pics won't turn out well until 3.5hrs later, and I won't even be out of NE by then. I hope to be chilling at a hotel by 4pm, rest up and start at midnight Sunday morning/night to continue.

If you've never ridden on I-80 in western NE let me paint you a mental image. Go stare at grass on a flat piece of land. For a more realistic image, find a patch of nearly dead grass.

I know.

Get up EARLY...

I've checked in at noon with funny faces...

Ride cheerfully.
thumbsup.gif

smile.png

Wind, you forgot to mention the wind.

When transversing Nebraska you will have strong headwinds, no matter which direction you are going.

Well, this trip on the FJR might be in jeapardy... I got out of the house this morning to run to the parts store for the oil to get an oil change (and final drive/pumpkin fluid change). I hit an expansion joint that was more like an expansion gulf, and it really jarred me. Heavy traffic at 35mph and I didn't see it.

No rim or tire damage, but the forks are leaking pretty bad. Might be a cause, or the 62k miles that I have.

Anyway, trusted dealer called. Seals ordered. Scheduled service for Friday. Earliest he thinks he can get the seals. I know the mechanic. He's thorough. If he doesn't think he can do it right as quickly as I need then I'll drive the cage... It's a 2hr job according to the book. I don't care if he takes 4 to do it right.

Service manager said he's not going to charge me extra for ordering the seals. He has a used FJR on the floor with the same issue. Now I'm intrigued..wonder if that rider traded in on a new one.

I'll update this thread on Friday... I hate the wait....

Did you try the Seal mate trick to see if that will take care of it? Likely not, but maybe they were leaking before and you just noticed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you try the Seal mate trick to see if that will take care of it? Likely not, but maybe they were leaking before and you just noticed it.
Great idea!

I did research it while digging through the forum, but I think I'm going to have the seals replaced anyway. I likely just noticed it and was hyper-sensitive to anything that may have appeared out of place.

I also just tore down the shocks (hoping to shave a little time at the dealer) and will be heading out soon to the local "all bike parts" shop when they open for new fluid. The more I have when I get to the dealer the less time it takes... I hope.

Agreed on sensitivity with the fork seals. A long trip demands a sturdy machine. Hope things are well. Update when you can.

My apologies;

The forks have been meticulously worked on by a great tech. He took a bit more than the allotted 2hrs, but he let me watch and help (I could fetch things really well). The Service Manager was agitated until I said I didn't care if it took 2.5hrs, that I'd pay for it.

I got home and put them on the bike only to be interrupted by a "work meeting" at the College World Series (my company has tix each year).

I returned home, finished everything and went over every bolt I may have touched to make sure it was properly tight. Then I launched it for a test flight. Except that I didn't re-adjust the fork dampening, rebound, compression settings, all WENT REALLY WELL! Returned home, set the suspension, checked for leaks (NONE!) and packed up the soft cases and tools.

I've had a few naps since and loaded up the FJR for the anticipated actual launch time of 02:00am CDT.

Thanks to Bugnatr for the PM with contact details! I also hope to meet Brodie while I'm out there and buy that windscreen he has for sale.

Maybe I'll see some folks returning to CA from their jaunt up to Red Lodge...

Left OMA at 12:53am, arrived in Rock Springs around 3p (MDT). had a good nap.

Planning on a 10p (MDT) departure time from WY to avoid the oppressive daytime temps in the forecast. Logging my fuel reciepts and then going to find something to eat that isn't McDs...not many options within walking distance of the hotel.

Crossed paths with a GS1200 rider at a subway. He left Kansas CIty on Friday and is taking 4 days to get to Bend, OR. He was trying to map is route on the fly. The wind was really bothering both of us. Hopefully he found his fun route. I'm jealous.. Mine isn't as much fun as his will be.

I made it to California. The FJR has suffered an injury. I'm writing up a post and going to ask for help. Long story short, there's brake fluid on I-80 and it came gushing out. :(

Bugnatr, thank you so much for providing me with your contact info. Your coordination is greatly appreciated.

My FJR is currently at the Hycle residence for further analysis... ugh