Riding to D&H Cycle to pick up a 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInPA

Reaction score
Well I'm finally going to go pick up a new 2016 ES. Well not really, my brother bought it and I'm going to ride down and join him as he begins a FJR journey of his own. So, I'll ride my superior Gen I 2005 down to Cullman on June 24 and on Saturday, we will pick up his bike and head towards the Blue Ridge. I have a family place to stay near Blairsville, GA, then we will head north into the Blue Ridge and look for an interesting break-in ride. We will probably part ways near Wytheville as he lives/works in Brazil, IN.

Pretty loose plans right now, but I'm looking forward to having John on a proper touring bike, and look forward to many more trips and adventures. I think he will be joining us at EOM. Anyway, who knows of a good road between Blue Ridge and Wytheville? I think he might end up being a few miles over his 600 mile by the time he gets home.

Why don't you just make it a double pick-up Tom? Once you go GEN III, you don't go back!
coolsmiley02.gif

Tell your brother congrats and you two have a fun trip.

--G

Must resist!

Wait until John sees how a FJR gets ridden...That's right Cullman, AL is an easy one-day away (750 miles). It will be easier if I'm not riding along a weather front.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, who knows of a good road between Blue Ridge and Wytheville?
Hadn't found one yet.

While searching I've found some to be avoided for sure: Ga60-Wolfpen Gap-Ga348-Warwoman-SC28-SC107-NC281-NC215-Beaverdam-NC63-NC209/212-NC19W-Coxes Creek-NC261/Tn143-Roan Mtn-Shady Valley-Damascus-Va80-Va608-Thompson Valley-Va16. And you certainly wouldn't want to string them all together and end up with a sadistically sick&twisted 525 mile/15hr ride from Blue Ridge to Wytheville.

Seems I've heard of something about a skyway big lizzard parkway thingy. I'll check it out one day.

1911 posted: Hadn't found one yet.
While searching I've found some to be avoided for sure: Ga60-Wolfpen Gap-Ga348-Warwoman-SC28-SC107-NC281-NC215-Beaverdam-NC63-NC209/212-NC19W-Coxes Creek-NC261/Tn143-Roan Mtn-Shady Valley-Damascus-Va80-Va608-Thompson Valley-Va16. And you certainly wouldn't want to string them all together and end up with a sadistically sick&twisted 525 mile/15hr ride from Blue Ridge to Wytheville.

Seems I've heard of something about a skyway big lizzard parkway thingy. I'll check it out one day.
If you're on any two-lane road northwest of I-85, you won't be completely disappointed. Don't ignore your fuel reserve/count-up if it's a Sunday evening.

Seems like Cullman is a busy place Friday night. All rooms are booked. My brother had reserved a King bed room at the Days Inn, and no dice getting it upgraded to 2-beds (yet). I may have to shower after the ride that night.
rolleyes.gif

The trip from Cullman to Blairsville will take us up 60, and it looks to be a good route. I'm familiar with how good the roads are in the area from the EOM in Maggie Valley. I'm sure we won't go wanting for good riding.

Hey Tom! Hope your brother enjoys the new bike. Have a safe trip and refrain from riding the new steed. It might end up being a costly trip. I'll be following your updates as you post them. Ride on my friend....

I have a ride plan after picking up the bike on Saturday. The biggest hitch is a need to provide the 600 mile service on John's bike.

Saturday Day 1 265 miles from Cullman to Balirsville on twisty roads

Sunday Day 2, 325 mile loop on Warwoman, 28, Deals Gap, Cherohala Pkwy and back south to Blairsville

Monday Day 3, 370 miles Blairsville to Wytheville via Blue Ridge Pkwy.

Tuesday Day 4, Head for home

Somewhere there needs to be a service but I don't have a clue where to get it. I would guess it has to be on a Monday, and somewhere north of Georgia and south of Virginia. There is a Yamaha dealer at Blue Ridge Yamaha and Polaris, or we could stop mid-day in Ashville on Monday, or backtrack to Cullman on Monday losing a day of riding. Final option...buy oil, filter and final drive fluid and DIY on Sunday night in Blairsville. I can take tools and torque wrenches. I'd prefer to do the service myself, and am capable of it. Since we'd buy the materials at D&H, they might even sign off on it.

For the trip home, I'll probably put John on US 52 which goes all the way from Wytheville to Indianapolis. I'll probably do 219 North.

Tom, if it was after 6pm on Monday you could do the work in my garage. We've got a few auto parts stores close by as well.

Send me a pm if that's something you'd consider.

Edit: total brain cramp...no can do. Son #2 and his wife are driving down from Chitown and moving in on Monday...so no can do.

Sorry.

I wouldn't get overly torqued about missing the service. It's not like he's going to push it to 5000 miles. He'll have less than 1000 miles when he gets home.

Another option would be to stop at walmart and change the oil in the parking lot. The mechanic there will loan you a pan. You can pack 3 tools to get the job done. Fair warning though - the oil filter will be on TIGHT from the factory. I'd bring the cup style wrench and pray you don't collapse the filter trying to get it off.

If it were me, I'd just ride it home and do the break in service then.

Edit - ^^^^^^ Wheatie's suggestion is a great compromise.

Regardless - that ride is the PROPER way to break in a new FJR. I'm jealous to be sure!!!!!

I can offer my garage on Monday for the service. Only problem is I live in the Nashville area. If you changed routes it would put both of you in between final destinations. It happens to be one of the few Mondays I have off.